Menu

Exercise check in 8/5

I ran/walked my 3 miles today. My runner partner and I had a very hard time of it this morning and only ran half of our planned run, then walked the rest. Maybe it is the extremely high humidity??? I don't know! Regardless, we were out there moving our bodies. :) Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Okay - did the title of this thread change or am I going CRAZY!?

I just got in from a 3.6 mile run. 35 minutes! I'm just trying to keep these runs at 10 min/mile, so I'm keeping up!! I had a bad cramp today, but I kept running through it. If that happens during a race, I have to keep going, so I looked at it as training!

Kathy - Great job on your run/walk!! I think the humidity makes it SO much harder!! I always have to stop an walk when it's humid.

I ran/walked my 3 miles today. My runner partner and I had a very hard time of it this morning and only ran half of our planned run, then walked the rest. Maybe it is the extremely high humidity??? I don't know! Regardless, we were out there moving our bodies. :) Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

Good Job KIN. It is much harder when the humidity is up!

I just got in from a 3.6 mile run. 35 minutes! I'm just trying to keep these runs at 10 min/mile, so I'm keeping up!! I had a bad cramp today, but I kept running through it. If that happens during a race, I have to keep going, so I looked at it as training!

Great job Jennifer! Keep it up. (You know you are allowed to walk during a race. They don't kick you out or anything.)

Well, I dawdled around this morning so I get to go out now -- it's only 75 degrees, but it's 87% humidity. Ah, well. That shower sure will be nice when it's all over :D

I'm gonna go get ready and get out there. I'm doing Week 7 of the Prevention Plan. I tried to do the workout from Week 9 on Monday, but I got that weird pain, etc. So I'm backing up to Week 7 to see how I do there. I'll report back shortly.

I was here to post and then the phone rang and it was my mom. Then I was down from 2 1/2 hours till company to 1 1/2 hours till company... well, you get the picture!

So I ran, hoping today would be 3 1/2. No, 3.38 miles, but 36 minutes, 10:38 pace. It's funny, it was hotter out today, but not nearly as humid. Then at the end, Lance Armstrong came on and said that's the furthest I've run. That makes it better!

High school kids were back again today. In large numbers again. Off to make lunch for my friend who just returned from the mission field...

My hat goes off to all of you getting outside for your workouts, between my allergies and the weather (& what to do with the kids?), it would be very hard for me to stick with an outdoor program.

Great job on the elliptical! I have no where to workout inside. And my oldest is 13, good enough to stay with the other 2!

Great job Jennifer! Keep it up. (You know you are allowed to walk during a race. They don't kick you out or anything.)

LOL! Yup. I know. I just have this goal - to run the entire 5.8 miles. I think I can get there by October 19!

Well, I dawdled around this morning so I get to go out now -- it's only 75 degrees, but it's 87% humidity. Ah, well. That shower sure will be nice when it's all over :D

I'm gonna go get ready and get out there. I'm doing Week 7 of the Prevention Plan. I tried to do the workout from Week 9 on Monday, but I got that weird pain, etc. So I'm backing up to Week 7 to see how I do there. I'll report back shortly.

We're waiting . . . LOL

My hat goes off to all of you getting outside for your workouts, between my allergies and the weather (& what to do with the kids?), it would be very hard for me to stick with an outdoor program.

I've been thinking about how I'm going to have to find some indoor things to do when it's just too icy/snowy to run during the winter. Great job on the eliptical!

I run before dh leaves for work, so he watches the kids.

I'm taking my kids to the lake later this morning so I got myself and my dog out early, before the heat rises.

Good job!!!

So I ran, hoping today would be 3 1/2. No, 3.38 miles, but 36 minutes, 10:38 pace. It's funny, it was hotter out today, but not nearly as humid. Then at the end, Lance Armstrong came on and said that's the furthest I've run. That makes it better!

High school kids were back again today. In large numbers again. Off to make lunch for my friend who just returned from the mission field...

Great job!!! Have fun with your friend!

Wooohooo!!!!!!! I had a good run!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

I am so excited!!! :D

I did the run just as it's written: Week 7, Walk 2/Run 4; Repeat 5 times. The 2 minute walk in between runs was too long; the 4 minute runs were just right in the beginning; by the 4th repeat, I could've just kept on going. I probably should've; it was harder to start running for the 5th repeat. But I did it. Then I just walked the rest of the way home. I should've run again -- I wanted to and I felt like it and I had time because I ran 3 repeats one way and only 2 back toward home. But I didn't. That added on to my time, but I don't care. Not counting my walk home, I went 2.16 miles in 30 minutes.

I'll be doing this same run 2 more times this week until all 5 repeats are easy; then I'll move on to Week 8.

Okay - did the title of this thread change or am I going CRAZY!?

Kathy - Great job on your run/walk!! I think the humidity makes it SO much harder!! I always have to stop an walk when it's humid.

:hurray: According to runthere.com, that's 9:43 min/mile at a 6.17 mph pace! Good for you!!!!!

Tell me about the bad cramp -- you ran through it (kudos!); how does it feel now? Did it work itself out?

That's AWESOME DOnna!!!! You know, it was when I realized that starting running again was harder than just running the entire thing that my runs started becoming much easier!!! Yippee!!!

Thanks!

I had a hard time stopping at the end of that 4th repeat, lemme tell ya! But I was thinking about "planning my run and running my plan." And the plan was to stop after 4 minutes, walk 2, run another 4. I have no idea if I did the right thing or not, but I didn't have a whole lot of time to decide! LOL That's why I just went with the plan. I was thinking that if I didn't have to run tomorrow, I probably would've kept running. That way if I did something stupid, I'd have more time to recover ;)

I was here to post and then the phone rang and it was my mom. Then I was down from 2 1/2 hours till company to 1 1/2 hours till company... well, you get the picture!

Good job! Humidity is nasty to run in. Fortunately, a good breeze picked up while I was out and I seriously felt the humidity go down! Now that was awesome :D

Nothing like Lance cheering you on ;)

I waited until after breakfast to do my workout. We were out until 11:30 last night. We went to a 38 Special/Charlie Daniels concert.

This morning I walked 5 miles on the treadmill at 4.2 (bumped it up to 4.3 for 12 minutes total, these minutes were at about 5 different times during the walk) Did an incline of 3. This was quite a workout, but it felt great. I seemed to have a bit more energy wating until after breakfast.

but it could have been worse! I did it and finished it and that is what is important, right?;)

Did 7.5 miles, finished in 74 minutes. My 1 mile pace time is normally 9 minutes, but that humidity got the best of me today. I had to stop and walk for 5 minutes after my first 3 miles.

The good news is, I've never ran that far!!! I usually go no more than 6 miles due to my feet. So, I was happy I finished!

I am coming to the realization, though, that I might not be able to tackle a half marathon like I want to. :sad: But, I am thankful that I'm healthy, strong, and can do what I can do. :)

Oh! GREAT job to all of you!!!!;)

Yes, we did it! Last night during a break in the rain dh and I walked up to the track and ran while the kids rode their bikes and the two year old cried for his Mama :banghead: I tried bringing his bike too, but it wasn't good enough. The only way this will work is if I bring the stroller.

This morning dh and I both did our work out and tomorrow we will run again. We are off to a good start :001_smile:

Wooohooo!!!!!!! I had a good run!!! YEAH!!!!!!!

I am so excited!!! :D

I did the run just as it's written: Week 7, Walk 2/Run 4; Repeat 5 times. The 2 minute walk in between runs was too long; the 4 minute runs were just right in the beginning; by the 4th repeat, I could've just kept on going. I probably should've; it was harder to start running for the 5th repeat. But I did it. Then I just walked the rest of the way home. I should've run again -- I wanted to and I felt like it and I had time because I ran 3 repeats one way and only 2 back toward home. But I didn't. That added on to my time, but I don't care. Not counting my walk home, I went 2.16 miles in 30 minutes.

I'll be doing this same run 2 more times this week until all 5 repeats are easy; then I'll move on to Week 8.

Great job Donna! That's why I shuffle. If I walk, it's much harder to start running again. But if I shuffle, the running motion is still there, just really slow! It's easier to pick up my pace than to start running.

I did 6... slow and easy. :D

I stopped a couple times though to pull a few invasive, noxious weeds! I just can't help myself. I'm a weed warrior! Does anyone else multi-task on a walk/run?

Good job on the run. Great job on the weeds! No extra weeding going on here. Must wait for cooler weather!

I waited until after breakfast to do my workout. We were out until 11:30 last night. We went to a 38 Special/Charlie Daniels concert.

This morning I walked 5 miles on the treadmill at 4.2 (bumped it up to 4.3 for 12 minutes total, these minutes were at about 5 different times during the walk) Did an incline of 3. This was quite a workout, but it felt great. I seemed to have a bit more energy wating until after breakfast.

Great job Karen!

but it could have been worse! I did it and finished it and that is what is important, right?;)

Did 7.5 miles, finished in 74 minutes. My 1 mile pace time is normally 9 minutes, but that humidity got the best of me today. I had to stop and walk for 5 minutes after my first 3 miles.

The good news is, I've never ran that far!!! I usually go no more than 6 miles due to my feet. So, I was happy I finished!

I am coming to the realization, though, that I might not be able to tackle a half marathon like I want to. :sad: But, I am thankful that I'm healthy, strong, and can do what I can do. :)

Oh! GREAT job to all of you!!!!;)

You've hit a new high! Awesome!

Have you tried building up the distance very slowly? Like don't go that long again for 2 weeks and then go 7. My marathon training program had me up and down all over the place. It was confusing and I was so glad I had printed it out.

You've hit a new high! Awesome!

Have you tried building up the distance very slowly? Like don't go that long again for 2 weeks and then go 7. My marathon training program had me up and down all over the place. It was confusing and I was so glad I had printed it out.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to take a look at the training program! Yeah, I'm one of those put-your-shoes-on-and-just-run gals. I haven't looked at doing a formal program, but maybe I should! I would really like to try a half marathon, so I guess I really should be purposeful, eh??:):):)

I did 6... slow and easy. :D

I stopped a couple times though to pull a few invasive, noxious weeds! I just can't help myself. I'm a weed warrior! Does anyone else multi-task on a walk/run?

Yes, I multi-task. I breath hard, put one foot in front of the other as fast as I can, drink water, listen to music (sometimes), and drink water. Does that all count??? ;)

Donna - I *heart* the 'Well-Trained Runner' in your signature... can I use it, too? :)

ABSOLUTELY! I was hoping that all of us runners would put it in our siggys :D

I have not excercised yet. I went to bed with and woke up with severe low back pain. Maybe 'that' time will finally start and my body will go back to normal. So I have taken some advil and am going to work out at 4:30 (before dinner) please feel free to check up on me to make I did it. I still have not fully established this workout habit.

I have not excercised yet. I went to bed with and woke up with severe low back pain. Maybe 'that' time will finally start and my body will go back to normal. So I have taken some advil and am going to work out at 4:30 (before dinner) please feel free to check up on me to make I did it. I still have not fully established this workout habit.
Pam, You sound like me! I woke up with my lower right back really hurting! I dislike taking medication, though I do anyway sometimes, so I did stretches and bends. I came THIS close to not going, but I took yesterday off, so I went on a walk with my dog anyway. It actually heated it up, I think, and it felt better afterwards. Sometimes that doesn't work, so I come home and :chillpill: for awhile. Hope your back feels better! :grouphug:

So, My dog and I went on a one hour walk. It felt brisk, but there were a few little stops. I think we got in around 3 1/2 - 4 miles. I got out there after dh left for work, while there was still a bit of a chill in the air, and right before the sun came over the trees, so I was able to mostly be in the shade. Yes, this is the Pacific NW, but it was warm yesterday and is today too! We got home before it got too hot!

YAY! I'm glad I went!

RUNNINGIRL: I have faith in you! You CAN do it if you want to! :D

I may be early for you in Oregon, but it's 7 pm here! :tongue_smilie: Have you worked out yet?

I hate that low back pain at that time. I hope that's better!

Finally have something to post today. I did level 2 of 30 day shred and ranat at 6mph/walked 4mph for 55min about 4.25 miles on the treadmill with various inclines. It was to hot to go outside when I was ready to finally get to my workout.

Congrats on running your farthest distance ever!:cheers2: If you follow a good training plan, you just might be able to achieve that 13.1 goal. Just build up slowly and intersperse a long run every week or two with many shorter runs.:)

Thanks for the encouragement Colleen! Yes, following a plan would be good!:)

My only option was to run during the hottest part of the day. I wondered if I could put in 5 miles but right around 3.5 I realized the 92 degree heat was taking a toll on me. It was either keep running and develop dry heaves or stop. For some crazy reason, I went with the latter option.;)

I have a seriously not fun pain in the outer edge of my lower leg, akin to shin splints, but shifted to the side. Thought it would get better since I didn't run yesterday, but it's quite a bit worse. It's always something with runners, isn't it?:tongue_smilie:

My only option was to run during the hottest part of the day. I wondered if I could put in 5 miles but right around 3.5 I realized the 92 degree heat was taking a toll on me. It was either keep running and develop dry heaves or stop. For some crazy reason, I went with the latter option.;)

Dry heaves or stop.....and you stopped? What were you thinking?!?! :tongue_smilie:

I have a seriously not fun pain in the outer edge of my lower leg, akin to shin splints, but shifted to the side. Thought it would get better since I didn't run yesterday, but it's quite a bit worse. It's always something with runners, isn't it?:tongue_smilie:

Yep, it's always something. Sometimes they're a badge of honor; other times they are injuries that keep us sidelined. I hate those.

Good job on getting the run in! One of the books I was reading was talking about running in the heat and humidity as being the most difficult, physically. Good training though.

I finally found the thread. It shows up as 8/5 on the main page. I was so confused.

I didn't run today - did 1 tkd class and helped to teach 2 more classes. But, I had to find this thread to see how everyone else did today. Great job everyone!

And I like the Well-Trained Runner. I'm going to add it to my sig right now.

I finally found the thread. It shows up as 8/5 on the main page. I was so confused.

I didn't run today - did 1 tkd class and helped to teach 2 more classes. But, I had to find this thread to see how everyone else did today. Great job everyone!

And I like the Well-Trained Runner. I'm going to add it to my sig right now.

Great Job on your TKD! What belt are you? DS does tkd as well. He has actually done it for 6 years now, but since it was 2 years in 3 different locations, he had to start over each time. He is finally red belt, which he is happy about!:)

Great Job on your TKD! What belt are you? DS does tkd as well. He has actually done it for 6 years now, but since it was 2 years in 3 different locations, he had to start over each time. He is finally red belt, which he is happy about!:)

My kids and I are all black belts. We've been doing it for 4 years. I work for the school now - recruiting, answering the phone, helping teach, etc. My kids are both jr instructors. We love it. It's actually what motivated me to start running. I found that as we got to be black belts, we don't always get the same workout in class as we used to because we are teaching more now. My stamina wasn't what it used to be, so I started running to increase it. It's worked as my forms have gotten even better than before.