Menu

Science in the Beginning Dr Jay Wile v Apologia Elementary

Blessed3x,

How much is the Rainbow shipping? I am going to order somewhere.

I had other xmas gifts added to my order, so it was free.  

They offer free shipping on orders over $50 though, so you could add a small item to get there with this set being $39. 

Items are shipping within 1 day right now too. She told me there is a very good chance that mine will be shipping tomorrow.  :hurray:

I had other xmas gifts added to my order, so it was free.

They offer free shipping on orders over $50 though, so you could add a small item to get there with this set being $39.

Items are shipping within 1 day right now too. She told me there is a very good chance that mine will be shipping tomorrow. :hurray:

Thank you! I do have things to buy for ds birthday and Christmas. So it is easy to be over $50. I am excited for this science and the jump ropes we will get.

Just this afternoon I told a homeschool friend who has kids age 10, 5, 2, and due tomorrow about this science and highly recommend this to her. I love the easiness. I definitely plan to use this series for two or three years for younger son, and one year for older son who is turning 11 in a few days.

I see that your ds is 11. So are you use this for him?

Thank you! I do have things to buy for ds birthday and Christmas. So it is easy to be over $50. I am excited for this science and the jump ropes we will get.

Just this afternoon I told a homeschool friend who has kids age 10, 5, 2, and due tomorrow about this science and highly recommend this to her. I love the easiness. I definitely plan to use this series for two or three years for younger son, and one year for older son who is turning 11 in a few days.

I see that your ds is 11. So are you use this for him?

Yes, I plan to try it with him.  We have enjoyed 'Elemental Science', but I could not pass up trying this after all of the reviews.  :)

The Hive has done it to me again.  :lol:

• 1 month later...

I think they say on their website somewhere that they don't/can't respond to emails inquiring about order status. I always just call them and they are very helpful.

She responded this morning with a shipping tracking order from last Friday - they just didn't send me the shipped email for some reason. :)

How is this going for those using it? How many days a week is it and about how long so you spend doing it? I am considering this for next year...

I think there are 90 lessons and 1 lesson can be easily done in a sitting.  2-3 lessons per week would be have it completed by the end of the school year.

How is this going for those using it? How many days a week is it and about how long so you spend doing it? I am considering this for next year...

I returned ours, unfortunately.

I *really* liked it, but for my ds11 it was too easy. We have completely a lot of science programs and this was too repetitive for us.  I believe it is a great program for the younger students and a wonderful introduction to many types of science. For us though, it was not a good fit.

90 lessons, so split it up however you want. The lessons don't take very long. The activity is usually about 5 minutes, then reading takes another 5-10 minutes. Then they notebook via the instructions in the book. That probably takes DS1 10-15 minutes. The younger kids are more like 5-10 minutes (they technically don't have notebooking instructions at their level, but I have them draw a picture and write something anyway :D).

We're still in Light, because we don't always do science. :tongue_smilie: The last month or so, we've mostly been doing the basics and maybe some reading aloud for history. We should get out of the Light unit sometime in January though. :)

It's been enough meat for my 4th grader, even though we switched from Apologia General Science (which he also did well with). So your DD should be fine with it. I have DS1 use the instructions for "oldest students".

I plan to use the next book in the series (Science in Ancient Times) next year, assuming it comes out on schedule.

• 1 month later...

From the comments section: "The second book (Science in the Ancient World) will be published in February or March of 2014. It has already been written and is currently being field-tested and peer-reviewed. The subsequent books are planned (Lord willing) to be published in February or March of each subsequent year. Thus, the last book in the series (Science in the 19th Century) is supposed to be published in February or March of 2017." (jwile)

Are all these 4 books(whenever they will release) for Grades 1-6 kids?

Is the book consumable at all or just a text? Is one book for both kids enough or do they each need one. Is there any notebooking component or just notebook on your own paper kind of thing?

Also, I admit, the list of supplies is a little daunting. Is it as overwhelming as it seems?

I was glad to see this thread pop up again, I just saw that the new one is due out in April (in Australia, anyway...not sure about US).

http://educationreformation.net/content/science-ancient-world-available-april-2014

There's even a picture of the cover!  :)

Oh my goodness, now I might have choices!! I was all set to use the first book in the series for next year. However, we will be doing Ancient History next year. It would be great to do a correlating science. I just emailed the publisher to see when it will be available in the US. I will update when I hear back. Unless someone else already knows.....then please share! :001_smile:

Oh my goodness, now I might have choices!! I was all set to use the first book in the series for next year. However, we will be doing Ancient History next year. It would be great to do a correlating science. I just emailed the publisher to see when it will be available in the US. I will update when I hear back. Unless someone else already knows.....then please share! :001_smile:

I will message Dr. Jay on facebook also. He's really great about responding! 

Here is the message that I received from Berean Builders....

Thanks for your email.

Our current schedule is to have this available everywhere by April.  We hope to debut it at the Great Homeschool Convention in South Carolina.  Many things can impact this including weather, required changes to the printing, etc but this is currently our plan.

Thanks,

Jon

ETA: I emailed them at 9:00 at night (eastern time) and he responded to me 3 hours later. Now that's customer service!

Are all these 4 books(whenever they will release) for Grades 1-6 kids?

I found this question in the comments section of Wile's blog:

What grade levels are we targeting? Just 1-5 of could it be used with the middle grades also?

Wile's answer:

Really, it’s K-6. By the time the student reaches 7th grade, he or she needs to spend more time reading, because the science becomes more content-specific at that point.

He answered me and said this:

"Susan, it will be out by the third week of March, Lord willing. The first book in the series is already available. You don't have to do the first book to do the second book, but if you skip the first book, you will have to have a very basic knowledge of science to "fill in the gaps" for your student. It will be available here:

http://www.bereanbuilders.com

A complete description of the series is here:

http://blog.drwile.com/?p=11016

I'm reading the sample lessons right now from here:

http://www.educationreformation.net/sites/educationreformation.net/files/SIAW%20Sample%20Lessons.pdf

• Like 1

I found this question in the comments section of Wile's blog:

What grade levels are we targeting? Just 1-5 of could it be used with the middle grades also?

Wile's answer:

Really, it’s K-6. By the time the student reaches 7th grade, he or she needs to spend more time reading, because the science becomes more content-specific at that point.

It looks pretty intimidating for a K'er, no?

It looks pretty intimidating for a K'er, no?

I agree.  It's definitely not the fluffy stuff we've been using, LOL.

I hope to start Science in the Beginning next year (with a 1st and 3rd grader).  I looked at the brief sample of the Ancients book that someone linked and it looks even more intimidating...

We've been using this this year with a K'er, 2nd grader and 6th grader. We love it. I have my 6th grader do a little extra reading and writing, but it is working wonderfully!! My K'er is learning a ton and asks for science everyday. I only wish it had come out sooner and we could have lined it up with our history rotation!

• Like 2

Is the book consumable at all or just a text? Is one book for both kids enough or do they each need one. Is there any notebooking component or just notebook on your own paper kind of thing?

Also, I admit, the list of supplies is a little daunting. Is it as overwhelming as it seems?

It is text. 

One book per family.

There is a notebooking component. Use your own paper for it.

Instructions for notebooking are given in the text. There are levels based on age/grade.

I think the list of supplies makes it look way more overwhelming than it really was.   My oldest and I did almost all of the experiments last August for fun way to kick off the year. (12th grader and I were playing with the book..and seeing how it would work for youngest sister.. yeah that's what we did.  giggle)...    Without any real prep work, I had a lot of the stuff in the house.  Now granted, I've done a lot of science over the years and have a science supply box for all of those things like batteries and balloons.

but the list made me gasp, but in reality... it wasn't that hard to do or find anything except on an advanced lesson or two that we skipped and found a video on youtube to show a green flame.   one out of 90 isn't bad.

We managed to do many of the 90 experiments in a few weeks in August.    I know the supply list looks scary, but it shows it in groups of every 15 experiments. That can cover about 5 weeks at a time on that list. some of the things listed as windows with sunlight (we did that in the minivan dashboard), paper, a CD.. a lamp...    stuff around the house, or easy easy to find at grocery or discount retail thing liket target, walmart, ace hardware...

also.. my take on the grades... I think it is geared for about 4th -6th grade, and then younger siblings in grades 3 and below can join in the fun.   I would have struggled not overteaching my oldest with this book if she had been under 4th grade.  

• Like 1

I am tempted by this new one but it wouldn't fit with our history cycles we are on. Is it still worth looking into? Or should I just keep on with what I had already planned? (I nee to stop browsing the boards lol.)

I'm getting it - if for nothing else than for myself!! I'm fascinated by the ancients and the approach he is taking with it! 

I'm getting it - if for nothing else than for myself!! I'm fascinated by the ancients and the approach he is taking with it! 

Same here. :)

It's' such a different approach to studying science -- I'll probably get them as they come out.

(And since we've so far managed to cover *no* history, I'm thinking *I'm* just going to follow the course set out by the science books -- base our history off of what time/era they cover, just adding supplements like Time Travelers stuff. :p)

• Like 1

I found a blog where the lady shows the front of the Binder-Builder Lapbook for Science in the Beginning and directs you to a Journey through Learning, but the only mention I can find of this lapbook on the business site is a quick blog spot mention last year at some point of the owner saying she was making it, no sign of the actual lapbook anywhere.

http://thehomeschoolmarm.blogspot.com.au/2014/01/virtual-curriculum-fair-2014-exploring.html

• 3 months later...
Guest MNSally

Hi everyone, after being referred to this forum for info about Dr Wile's elementary courses and reading all the way through it, I registered here simply to ask a question of those of you who have had access to the Science in the Ancient World book.  Could I hear from someone(s) who is(are)using this in a homeschool co-op? 

Our co-op is deliberating whether to us Apologia's Flying Creatures or Ancient World for the upcoming year.  Can someone tell me just how you have used Ancient World in a co-op setting? 

Do you do all of the activities in class and leave the book work for the families to do at home? 

Are you attempting to get through the entire book in one year?  (For us that would be 24 weekly meetings.) 

Also, do you have photos/hints/helpful resources posted somewhere? 

I am not finding much out there for extracurricular Ancient World resources, but there is just a TON of stuff out there for Flying Creatures, and that makes it very attractive.

Thanks much.  I'll appreciate any links or thoughts on using SitAW for a group. I'd love to do it, but I don't want to go where no man has gone before and lived to tell about it. :)

Hi everyone, after being referred to this forum for info about Dr Wile's elementary courses and reading all the way through it, I registered here simply to ask a question of those of you who have had access to the Science in the Ancient World book.  Could I hear from someone(s) who is(are)using this in a homeschool co-op? 

Our co-op is deliberating whether to us Apologia's Flying Creatures or Ancient World for the upcoming year.  Can someone tell me just how you have used Ancient World in a co-op setting? 

Do you do all of the activities in class and leave the book work for the families to do at home? 

Are you attempting to get through the entire book in one year?  (For us that would be 24 weekly meetings.) 

Also, do you have photos/hints/helpful resources posted somewhere? 

I am not finding much out there for extracurricular Ancient World resources, but there is just a TON of stuff out there for Flying Creatures, and that makes it very attractive.

Thanks much.  I'll appreciate any links or thoughts on using SitAW for a group. I'd love to do it, but I don't want to go where no man has gone before and lived to tell about it. :)

Hi -- Since "Ancient World" JUST came out within the past couple of months (I think the publication date was late march or maybe April 1st), it doesn't seem possible that anyone would have already used it for co-op.   Maybe some have used the Science in the Beginning book though? That one does have a set of printables that can be purchased to go along with it.

I'm going to be using Ancient World in the fall with my family, but if I teach Science again next fall at my co-op, I am strongly considering using Science in the Beginning for my class.  I would have either 1st and 2nd or 1st-3rd graders, and I would probably try and do two lessons per class meeting, but since we only meet twice a month I would be going through the book in two years.

Guest MNSally

Hello from up here in Cambridge, Kirsten. Thank you.  I didn't realize the book is that new.  We are considering the Ancient World over Science in the Beginning, because it would tie in beautifully with already-decided renaissance/middle ages history curriculum. 

Well then, maybe we'll have to be the ones to supply the resources for those who come after us. :)

Thanks for your reply.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an older thread, but I'm curious, this much later, how each of you went with the books. Also, if you feel the books could be used out of the order they were written in.. :)

I did use Science in the Beginning with my co-op class last year and Science in the Ancient World at home. SitB was a great fit for co-op. The kids really liked the demos/experiments and I was able to hold their interest pretty well. My class was mostly 2nd and 3rd graders. The two first graders seemed a little lost at a few times, but that is bound to happen in general if you need to have a wide range of ages together in a larger class. We actually made it through a lot of the book that I felt was workable for our co-op situation. Because of the classroom space we had available, time constraints, equipment available, etc, there were a number of lessons I couldn't do with the group that would be no problem at home. I would have needed to chose something different this year, but as it turned out we switched things up and I am teaching a literature class instead of science now.

Science in the Ancient world was more of a disappointment for us at home. I didn't end up liking that every.single.lesson has a demonstration/experiment. Some were awesome and some felt like we spent a lot of time gathering materials and doing the work for a limited benefit. Also, while I always thought I would love a chronological science, it ended up feeling really scattered to both me and the kids. One day would be astronomy, then maybe a couple lessons related to the human body, then maybe something related to chemistry. I thought we would like it, but every time my kids got excited about something (atoms! Stars! Bones!), it didn't feel like there was time to stop and dive in because the lessons were moving on to totally different things. As a result, they didn't really retain a lot. We made it about three-fourths of the way through the book before giving it up and we spent the remainder of the year doing the Ellen McHenry Elements.

• Like 1