Menu

So that $10 cherry pitter seemed like a wild extravagance until

Luckymama

I faced the reality of 22 pounds of cherries :eek:

What were dd and I thinking as we picked that many Thursday morning?????????????????

So far I have a bunch in the dehydrator, made a batch of jam, made a pie, froze pie filling for the dead of winter, and just froze some pitted. Tomorrow I will make some preserves for pastry baking and will probably make at least another batch of jam. Dh is campaigning for a sorbet.

Care to share your favorite cherry recipes?

Cherries and pablano pepper jam (I had cherry jelly go very wrong and not set one year, so I added peppers and canned)--- yummy on pork or chicken

That sounds right up our alley! Unfortunately the cherry and pepper season don't align (our peppers are all teensy tiny still) so I'll have to see if I can find decent looking peppers.

That sounds right up our alley! Unfortunately the cherry and pepper season don't align (our peppers are all teensy tiny still) so I'll have to see if I can find decent looking peppers.

pit the cherries, add fruit fresh and water and freeze them. They come out just fine!!

My cherries are pie cherries (sour) if that make a difference.

BTW I would LOVE to have cherries --- my tree has been stripped clean three years in a row (birds, birds, hail) and it is so dry now,,,,,,

Cherry marmalade! It's in one of the ball canning books. I also have made my own homemade maraschino cherries. For the person who was asking, I got a nice pitter on amazon, it's one of the ones that feeds them through: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Deluxe-Cherry-Pitter-Suction/dp/B002HEXSWE/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1371958192&sr=1-3&keywords=cherry+pitter

I am going to pick on Monday! One year I picked 80 lbs and we ate most of them fresh! Cherries are my absolute favorite. I always make cherry sorbet and cherry ice cream with chocolate chunks. Then I serve a scoop of each together. It is so indulgent and I look forward to it all year! Cherry sorbet is so time intensive for what you get but it is worth it, so I agree with your husband! I like to freeze them for smoothies and this year hope to can some. Here is a tutorial I found.