Menu

Hunter - Logic of English - Cursive

Ecclecticmum

I was reading through old threads and came across your post

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:23 AM

If a person has trouble thinking ahead while still working on a problem in the present, cursive is harder than printing. They must think about the letter they are writing, the letter ahead and which connector to use. That is 3 things to juggle instead of one letter at a time.

I have known for decades about this problem, especially with LD and 2E boys. Only recently did I notice that this problem affects handwriting alone, as well as general writing and composing.

I no longer can stay neutral about the idea of cursive first. Some well rounded children without any LDs will do fine with cursive first, but cursive first is a BAD idea in GENERAL, in my opinion.

Could you look at the samples of LOE (I'm planning to use foundations shortly), and tell me if there is the same problem in this curricula?

I was really thinking of doing LOE-F as Cursive. I am basically deliberating between introducing the letters via manuscript with the letter stories from PAL(not using anything else from PAL, just the letter stories):

- (this is the |c|. |C| is a happy letter. He is happy because he is a cookie, and somebody took a bite out of him. To make the |c| I start on the right (relate to object in the room rather than left/right) Go around and up, but do not close it up! |c| |c| cookie!"

I like the image it provides for the child, along with the little jingle. I showed the idea to my son the other night, and he was quite amused and engaged. I can't think of a similar thing for it, and the way the letters are introduced to write them in LOE-F is *very* dry, and not really remember-able (even with DD I used jingles she still uses).

I really like the idea of starting with cursive, just because it is more fluid and (apparently) requires less fine motor skills than the start/stopping of manuscript.

But I don't want to cause more problems for DS iykwim? If I did it, I would probably do cursive with all of them.

I also was hoping you would expand your thoughts a bit more on this subject. I will be eagerly sleeping whilst awaiting your reply :lol:

I've softened a bit about teaching cursive first. If cursive first is taught, many students will need a lot of accommodations in their entire curriculum, not just their phonics or even language arts. Pasting cursive first on a curriculum that was originally designed for manuscript first isn't good for struggling students. And there needs to be a reduction in the amount of writing required in general. Cursive first can work with vintage methods, but can be awkward when attempted in an otherwise modern curriculum.

I don't like the LOE handwriting instructions or hand at all. It's not explicit enough. At least for my students.

I prefer Don Potter’s new cursive program or Writing Road to Reading 6th. Don Potter's hand is make up of specific strokes that produce a slanted hand; the round letters are slanted tear drops and slanted lines. WRTR is a vertical hand and the letters are made of round circles and vertical lines. I find WRTR easier for my LD lefties.

If wanting to do cursive first, I recommend using Alpha-Phonics or a vintage speller, and NOT Spalding or a Spalding clone.

• 8 years later...

Hi @Hunter,

Sorry to revive this ancient thread. I’d love to hear your reasoning behind cursive first = no spalding. I am looking into LA programs and pretty much settled on RLTL. Handwriting lessons through literature, it’s sister programme has a ‘slant cursive’ option which is my preference aesthetically. However RLTL is a spalding program so now I’m not sure. Any thoughts? 

I feel like the barefoot meandering programmes are really strong and much easier to implement than a vintage programme for a newbie  (is that true?). As an early-reader-bad-speller myself, the spalding method makes a lot of sense. But will I have to compromise teaching gorgeous cursive?

For background my dd is still little but quite advanced for her age in language and motor skills - no sign on any LDs so far.

I am learning cursive myself and find it very soothing to practice while in boring zoom meetings 🙂

• Like 1