Menu

Everyone, please tell me I'm crazy. I've just joined karate with my girls!

Am I nuts for doing this at my age?

I've been thinking about this for a year, but always had an excuse to not join. Well, I've finally done it and committed myself. My girls are taking karate at an excellent school here in our small town, but I'm scared to death about remembering all the forms of karate. Plus, some of the movements seems completely counter-intuitive to what my body wants to do.

Has anyone else done this? Any encouragement?

Thanks!

Yes, I did it for 6 months! I took my kids to classes and realised that rather than sitting watching i should be on the floor with them! I really enjoyed it. After a while though we realised as a familythat the commitment to karate was one thing too many for us, and we all let it go (my kids are very involved in Scouts, and Karate was turning out to be a major investment of our time and energy).

But enjoy it! It was great for my coordination, and good for my kids to see me progress with them, but not be very good at some things. After I joined up, several other parents were inspired to join up too.

I think it's awesome that you're doing it with your girls! This is relationship building and even if you fall on your butt in embarrassment (how encouraging is that?), you will still be a star in your dds' eyes. I do exercise with the kids at home and we have so much fun and laugh a lot too. :D Go have fun, I love that you're embracing this time with your kids. So inspiring!

Not at all! I did Taekwondo with my son in my early 40's and we are both black belts now. It was one of the best experiences of my life. We both learned a lot and had fun getting fit! I'm planning on taking a rock climbing class with my daughters sometime this fall!

My husband, daughter and I all take HapKiDo together and love it! We're yellow belts and will test for our orange belts a week from Thursday. My daughter (9) really does love that we do it together and so do I.

As for coordination, stamina is more my problem (though, I'm not particularly coordinated) I'm still needing to work on that!

If I joined, I would be crazy (for me!). But unless you joined under duress, I imagine you want to do it and will do wonderfully. If you don't like it, you can always go back to spectator status:001_smile: or walking during their class time for exercise. I love finding ways to claim time that would otherwise be lost...moving the body and learning something new are awesome ways to do this!

We are taking Kung Fu as a family and absolutley love it. Kung fu is very physically intensive and I didn't know how out of shape I really was. ;) We all have different strengths and that is good for everyone to see. We are my Sefu (sp?) favorite class because of our age range, understanding difference, and then different physical strengths. Plus I've dropped 3 pant sizes in the 2 months that we have been doing this.:D Enjoy the time with your daughters it is one of our favorite activities of the week.

When my kids started tkd 4 years ago, I sat and watched them for a week. Then I felt guilty just sitting there when I could be doing it with them for free (our school lets parents train for free with their kids). Now all 3 of us are black belts, my dd and I are instructors, and ds is a jr instructor. My dh did it with us for a while, but due to work he has only made it to yellow belt. :D I love the exercise - it has helped with muscle control, balance, coordination, stamina, etc. And it's fun too! I'm also more confident and could hopefully defend myself should I ever have to.

Enjoy it!

Yes, I've been sitting on the sidelines for a year now. Well, to be more specific, I usually do errands or take a walk, so I am getting some exercise there.

They had us doing splits the first day, and my hips were really sore after that! It can be pretty intense, and I'm only just a white belt. Plus, I had no idea the forms were so complicated and required such precision. Kind of like gross-motor piano skills (one thing I can do!).

At any rate, thanks again, everyone! I guess even someone at my advanced age can learn something new!

Definitely not crazy! Yay for you!

I started TaeKwonDo 8 or 10 months ago, with the 5 year old I nanny for, and her mom. Even sitting out half the classes, the 5 year old learns things faster than the two of us adults. And I have no coordination or athletic ability whatsoever. (I call myself "body stupid.") But it is SO much fun and I am so glad we do it!

Am I nuts for doing this at my age?

I've been thinking about this for a year, but always had an excuse to not join. Well, I've finally done it and committed myself. My girls are taking karate at an excellent school here in our small town, but I'm scared to death about remembering all the forms of karate. Plus, some of the movements seems completely counter-intuitive to what my body wants to do.

Has anyone else done this? Any encouragement?

Thanks!

Okay -- I'm nuts, too, then. I do Taekwondo with my son and I love it. I sat and watched him for awhile. I used to take a book, but there was too much to watch and I never got much reading done. And when I'm bored, I snack. I thought I couldn't afford for both of us to do it, but I figured I was probably spending that much on munchies, so --

My other concern was that I didn't want to embarrass him. But he thinks it's great!

Have fun!

ETA: At your age? I don't know what that is, but I will say that I think I'm probably at least a *bit* older than you are, and we have several black belts in their 60s and 70s at our school.

I just started TaeKwonDo in May. My ds6 thinks it's great that he's a higher belt than Mom (he's been doing this since last summer), and as the youngest it probably is good for him to be the expert in something. Family exercise and working towards a goal together and both great things!

You need to post a picture of all of you in your uniforms!

ETA: At your age? I don't know what that is, but I will say that I think I'm probably at least a *bit* older than you are, and we have several black belts in their 60s and 70s at our school.

I'm 47 now! :eek: :eek:

But, I do really need to get in shape! I walk every day, but it's still not enough, and I think it's a good idea for women to learn self-defense.

You need to post a picture of all of you in your uniforms!

---If I'm brave enough! I keep toying with the idea of changing my avatar to a picture of myself, but I don't think I'm very photogenic, and I don't have any good digital photos of myself.

I'll try to find one of my kids, though, and post that. If it's a group one, can I black out my picture??? :tongue_smilie:

I'm 47 now! :eek: :eek:

But, I do really need to get in shape! I walk every day, but it's still not enough, and I think it's a good idea for women to learn self-defense.

Yeah -- I've got a year or two on you. :) I used to walk, too, but with the humidity, that was just not happening.

Don't forget to let us know how you're doing in a few months!