Menu

hip pain when x-rays are OK in 10 year old?

melmichigan

I have chronic hip pain and have for years and years. Mine is from sacroiliitis, which is inflammation where the hip joins the spine. Sometimes it makes it hard to walk because it hurts so badly, and sometimes I will go six months with no pain at all. The treatment is stretching and ibuprofen.

My DD just had a benign tumor called an osteo (osteoid) osetoma removed from her fibula. They are rare, small hard to find and the only presenting symptom is pain. The can happen on any bone in the human body but most often happens in the long bones. Most likely to happen in boys but girls to get them. They usually show up in the second decade of life.

My ped did not see it in the x-rays but the reviewing radiologist did. MRI confirms diagnosis. It just looked like a hump along the edge of her bone.

There is no known cause and if left they can resolve themselves in 3-8 years. Most can't stand the pain that that long. They are very responsive to NSAIDs. So much so, that it is part of the criteria for diagnosis. (That is how we found out DD is allergic to Motrin)

There are great minimally invasive treatments with no hospital stay needed.

It may not be this but it cannot hurt to ask about it. It is rare so some Peds may not know about it.

Chiropractor. And if that doesn't work an MRI will give a better view of the joint and tissues then just an xray. I had hip pain for years, got awful when I was pregnant. My MW recommended a chiro and it was gone after 2 adjustments! My pelvis was rotated a bit out of alignment (due to sacral instability). Once that was aligned the problem was solved.

IT band as Tap mentioned. My active 15 year old has/had it and does at home PT exercises to help and keep it from becoming chronic. It is very common, especially among athletes. She was thoroughly evaluated by an orthopaedic surgeon that we trust since our other daughter (and Dad) see him. Chiropractor (and associated $$) not necessary.