Menu

Spelling program best suited for a Kindergartener?

Megicce

Hi there! I asked this over on the Pre-K and K board, but wanted to get the input of the larger hive as well. My DD5 has been doing K4 this year and is writing like crazy - making up spellings for everything. She's quite adamant that her spellings are correct. ;)

I wasn't planning to start spelling until 1st grade, but I feel like she's forcing my hand here, and I've started looking into spelling for K, but I feel completely indecisive about what to use. My initial plan was just to use Spelling Workout as recommended in TWTM, but looking at it, I don't think it will be the right fit for her, for K. All About Spelling might be good, but it's expensive and it takes up instruction time, and I was hoping to have spelling be a mostly independent subject.

I'd love your recommendations of programs you think would be appropriate for K, and why you like them. Low-prep and -cost preferred, but I'll take anything, because I want to know what's out there. :)

Thank you!

What about just making a list based on a certain word family each week? Week 1 is -at words and include at, cat, that, bat, sat, etc. Plug those into Spelling City and then you can generate handwriting worksheets and she can play games. You could also make a list each week to go with whatever she is doing in OPGTR.

I would tend to go with letting her believe her spelling is fine and as she reads more and becomes familiar with spelling patterns, it should self correct.

The two of you could also make a word file where you write some of the more common words she uses and add them to a file folder or index card so she can refer to them for the correct spelling.

We're going the Writing Road to Reading route. My DD, like yours, loves to write. But she insists on having me help with spelling. Now that she's learning the phonograms and we're working through the spelling list she's making huge improvements. I like that it's straight-forward, inexpensive, and works :)

I see A Reason for Handwriting in your signature. Have you looked at A Reason for Spelling level A? It's aimed at first grade, but the words are pretty simple and it starts with a phonics section. It's a big, colorful workbook, but not fully independent.

Otherwise, I'd probably go with the Writing Road to Reading book. This won't be independent at all, but the phonics review will look like a spelling quiz to a little kid. As you learn the sounds you write them correctly, and after you know all the sounds you work down a spelling list.

FWIW, any spelling book a kindergarten DC can do independently won't teach spelling very effectively. That age needs directly taught.

FWIW, any spelling book a kindergarten DC can do independently won't teach spelling very effectively. That age needs directly taught.

I have to agree with this. I started my Ds5 in Spelling Workout A, then switched to All About Spelling, which has been a much better fit.

I have to agree with this. I started my Ds5 in Spelling Workout A, then switched to All About Spelling, which has been a much better fit.

Agreeing with her agreeing.

Another vote for AAS. But I'd start with ETC and see how she does with that first, it would probably be enough for awhile and then look at starting AAS in first grade. It is expensive, but you'll be able to reuse it for your younger ds, and if you want spelling to be more independent you may only use the first couple of levels of AAS before switching to something else. In the meantime it's a wonderful fit for youngers.

Also wanted to add that ETC has been surprisingly independent for my 5yo who isn't really reading well, just learning. I sit next to him to help him with any questions or quickly correct him, but often if I get distracted I'll look over to find he's completed a whole page correctly without any help. Once they are familiar with the format it's simple for them to work through as long as you are nearby to point out anything confusing...like yes, that's a baseball glove but in this picture they want you to use the word 'mitt', etc.

I've used A Reason for Spelling with all of my dc and absolutely love it. I love the various activities, I love that it requires me to be mildly involved yet also provides for independent work. I love the results (after a solid phonics program, of course). You can find sets super cheap on-line and you don't have to do the stories that go with each lesson as that takes quite a bit of time (although my dc have really enjoyed reading through the stories on their own).