Menu

Math for Special Needs High Schooler

Hi,

I can't believe we are just weeks away from starting school and I still have nothing picked out for my 17 year old learning disabled daughter for Math. We worked last year on lots of word problems and she still struggles with choosing an operation and multi-step word problems. At this point I would like her to do practical math, like making change, estimating, figuring out which is the better buy at a supermarket. I've looked at Abeka Consumer Math, but it looks too hard for her. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Leisa in NY

You might get some samples from Rod and Staff if you want a Christian publisher. They are written for Mennonite and Amish communities, and the Amish kids don't go all the way through high school. (They drop out to work on the family farms, businesses, etc.) The focus is more on practical math than the typical college-track math. However, Rod and Staff materials are not necessarily easy.

Probably the best thing to do, if you don't have to have materials from a Christian publisher is to look into materials from secular publishers that cater to special needs. I'll bet they have exactly what your daughter needs.

Try looking at Walch Math options. Rainbow carries some of Walch's products, so if you see one you like check and see if Rainbow carries it at a discount.

Disclaimer: I have used none of these programs. I have however used Walch's Power Basics World History as a spine for my ds who is not a fan of history and have been very pleased.

HTH-

Mandy

or math curriculum specifically for special needs high schoolers.

Three great website/catalogs:

Wieser Educational: http://www.wiesereducational.com

Saddleback Educational Publishing: http://www.sdlback.com

PCI Education: www. pcieducation.com

All three have printed catalogs to send you, have some samples on their websites, and specialize in special ed curriculum. I think Wieser has the most, but check out all three.

MIchelle T

Hi,

I can't believe we are just weeks away from starting school and I still have nothing picked out for my 17 year old learning disabled daughter for Math. We worked last year on lots of word problems and she still struggles with choosing an operation and multi-step word problems. At this point I would like her to do practical math, like making change, estimating, figuring out which is the better buy at a supermarket. I've looked at Abeka Consumer Math, but it looks too hard for her. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Leisa in NY

As far as choosing the correct operation for word problems, has your dd learned to translate between the language of math and the language of word problems? The key for my ds and me (and I was good at math! I just couldn't do word problems!!!!!) was to memorize the typical words and phrases and what operations they indicated. For example, + may be represented by the words "total", "sum", "add", etc.

A suggestion for multi-step problems is to break the problems into it's various steps. Then go back and show how the original question "assumed" that she would do these intermediate steps. She'll also need a series of basic questions to ask as she tackles these problems.