Menu

What a Night!!!!

DD went camping with some friends this evening so dss and I decided to go see the new Mummy movie. About half way through the movie the electric went out and we were all asked to step out into the hall as there was a huge storm going on. I looked out the lobby window and there was a huge pine tree bent all the way over! I called dd and told her about the storm. It hadn't gotten to where they were camping yet and I wanted her to gather everyone up and go home. Of course being an almost 18 yo (her bday is thursday) she wouldn't budge and argued that it couldn't be that bad. I asked her to at least go into the brick bathrooms if it got bad.

We left the theatre, drove over a downed tree in the parking lot, by not the storm was raging and there was the craziest lightning storm you ever saw. Before we got to the camp ground we were stopped on the highway because a tree was across the road. I got to the campground where it was supposedly not storming and there were trees and branches everywhere, finally I spotted dd's car parked by the bathroom. I got out in the pouring rain and ran to the bathroom and there were all the girls huddled in there. I told dd she was going home if she liked it or not and all 8 kids piled into my car. everyone was soaked and most of them looked more than relieved to be getting out of there.

DD was mortified and said I was so embarassing and treated her like a baby. Maybe I did over react a bit, was it wrong of me to make them leave? I just couldn't have lived with myself if something would have happened to any of them. there are still severe thunder storm and flash flood warnings out for our area. So, what do you think? Was it wrong of me to go get them? Should I have just left her there and let her learn from her mistakes? It is so hard to know what to do with your child when they are almost an adult.

Sorry for the long rant. Thanks for listening.

No, getting them home was a great idea. If your dd was humiliated then save up the story for when she has kids that age.

:lol: I was thinking the same thing. Some day she'll have kids of her own, and she'll think back on today and say, "Oooooh, riiiight! Now I get it." You did the right thing.

You're all probably right about her looking back on this someday and realizing I was trying to protect her. I have alot of those moments when I recall something stupid I did as a teenager and I just want to smack myself in the forehead and say, "What was I thinking?"

You're all probably right about her looking back on this someday and realizing I was trying to protect her. I have alot of those moments when I recall something stupid I did as a teenager and I just want to smack myself in the forehead and say, "What was I thinking?"

Seriously. I was a pretty good kid, but I can think of two different occasions where I was expected home by curfew and just decided that I wasn't going home after all. Once, my mom knew where I was and burst into a diner at 1 a.m. to drag me off in front of my friends :eek: Even at the time, I was annoyed, but knew I was in the wrong there :lol: Yeah, she'll look back on this and laugh...someday! :D

Naw, I think you did fine, considering that all eight girls were huddled in there scared already, and that she's not 18 yet.

But now I have an earworm.

"Late December back in '63.

What a very special time for me,

'Cause I remember what a night."

Ah-HA!!! That's why that song is playing in my head! How did I not realize that? :lol:

Naw, I think you did fine, considering that all eight girls were huddled in there scared already, and that she's not 18 yet.

But now I have an earworm.

"Late December back in '63.

What a very special time for me,

'Cause I remember what a night."

I'm so sorry! I didn't realize what I had done till I came back and read it. Now it's stuck in my head too!:blush: