Menu

Any backpackers/campers here? Need buckle advice

DawnM

Son has a 2" buckle on a backpack (hip belt) . It broke. I got a replacement buckle from REI, plastic......he didn't even have the backpack fully ON when that one broke.

I know I can take the REI one back, but now we are thinking of getting something more sturdy.....are there any reputable METAL ones out there? I am worried about just ordering something off the 'net and having it be too bendable or cheap and I won't be able to return it.

Suggestions from any of you who have actually USED a good product?

Thank you.

Dawn

Yes, but they have no other buckle replacements than what I purchased already.

They should NOT break with tightening.

Our other backpacks haven't had theirs break but for some reason, this one keeps breaking.

I think I really just want a very strong metal buckle replacement as I REI are the ones who recommended this replacement that broke.....probably because it is all they sell.

Dawn

Do you have an REI near you? I would take the pack and the buckle in and see if they can't help you figure out why it broke.

We have old gear with plastic buckles that have never broken.

Anne

Ok, I just went ahead an ordered an aluminum one. It wasn't that expensive. I will see if that does the trick. This is an older backpack that I want him to use when his more expensive one is too nice to take. He needed it for camp this last week as they were going to do some Philmont practice hikes while at regular scout camp. But he ended up just going with a weekend size one as the belt buckle broke.

Dawn

I hope that the new aluminum one does the trick for you. I've never had my buckle break on my backpack. Was it a quality backpack to begin with? Maybe it would make sense to use the better quality backpack. Quality gear usually makes the hiking experience much better all-round.

I have used carabiners instead of the plastic buckles for the hip belt of a backpack. I just hook the carabiners through the existing buckle "holes"/loops.

I suspect the plastic buckles that broke might be susceptible to either high heat or cold. It might be a batch problem with the material used or just poor quality.

No, it isn't the best quality. It is a Kelty.

I realize the best backpack makes for the best experience. I just didn't want him taking his very expensive Philmont pack to a general scout camp for a couple of hours of practice.

I want the nice/expensive backpack for Philmont specific weekend practices and the actual Philmont trip.

But I also think the Kelty will be a good weekender backpack when they only need to backpack it into to a camp a short distance, not a rigorous hiking situation......for us, it is good to have both available.

Dawn

I hope that the new aluminum one does the trick for you. I've never had my buckle break on my backpack. Was it a quality backpack to begin with? Maybe it would make sense to use the better quality backpack. Quality gear usually makes the hiking experience much better all-round.

Any chance the buckle was put in on an angle so only one end caught, putting too much stress on one side over the other? It just seems odd to have two buckles fail in the same way when it is not a typical failure. The only constant is the user and perhaps the way it is being buckled is the culprit. Or maybe even check out the path on the receiving end to see if it is malformed and causing stress from twisting or bending when buckling.....which would only be suspect if you replaced only one side of the buckle......

No, my guess is that it is because the hipbelt is a bit large and he yanks and yanks to tighten it. I still don't think it should break, but it does.

His expensive one has not broken nor has his weekend backpack, but those fit him better.

He is quite thin.

Any chance the buckle was put in on an angle so only one end caught, putting too much stress on one side over the other? It just seems odd to have two buckles fail in the same way when it is not a typical failure. The only constant is the user and perhaps the way it is being buckled is the culprit. Or maybe even check out the path on the receiving end to see if it is malformed and causing stress from twisting or bending when buckling.....which would only be suspect if you replaced only one side of the buckle......

No, it isn't the best quality. It is a Kelty.

I realize the best backpack makes for the best experience. I just didn't want him taking his very expensive Philmont pack to a general scout camp for a couple of hours of practice.

I want the nice/expensive backpack for Philmont specific weekend practices and the actual Philmont trip.

But I also think the Kelty will be a good weekender backpack when they only need to backpack it into to a camp a short distance, not a rigorous hiking situation......for us, it is good to have both available.

Dawn

Understandable, except if the buckle breaks at the wrong time. Then a short hike becomes a big pain. I like the idea of having a few extra carabiners. They'd be handy for so many things.

Seems odd he broke two. We have so many packs and gear items with buckles that haven't broken even if being stored in hot/cold places or rough handling. REI will replace it if you ask. They take stuff back even if used/broken/youjustdon'tlikeitanymore. But I would also take the pack in, have them install in, fit the kid for the pack and see if he's pulling at a weird angle or something. Sounds like a fluke he broke 2.

Yes, I am aware and will be taking it back in for a reimbursement.

I just think for this particular pack that buckle isn't working.

They also told me last time i was in that they will NOT fit him for backpacks he didn't buy there.

It is ok, we have other packs too.

Seems odd he broke two. We have so many packs and gear items with buckles that haven't broken even if being stored in hot/cold places or rough handling. REI will replace it if you ask. They take stuff back even if used/broken/youjustdon'tlikeitanymore. But I would also take the pack in, have them install in, fit the kid for the pack and see if he's pulling at a weird angle or something. Sounds like a fluke he broke 2.