Menu

How many Apples & Pears spelling books in one school year??

BatmansWife

I'm going to get the full set for one kid. But I don't want to spend the money right now on an entire 2nd set of workbooks for the other kid. How many books do you generally go through in one school year? I'd like for spelling to be every day....but maybe in reality it will happen like 4 days a week. Would I be ok with just getting two workbooks now and the other two workbooks next year? I can't remember how many lessons are in a book.....67 or something like that? Do you do an entire lesson in one day, or does it take more than one day to do a lesson? I'd love to hear how long it's been taking you and your child to go through a book. Thanks!

It depends upon the age of the child. Dd and I have generally moved at the pace of 1 book a year, although 2 could be done by an older student. I would be surprised if someone blew through all 4 books in a year as each lesson has a fair amount of physical writing. I think we've averaged 1/2 lesson a day. Admittedly, I've concentrated on moving slowly, but surely. If all goes well, we'll complete the series this next school year. I'd expect an older teen to be able to complete a lesson a day unless there were motor issues involved. :001_smile:

We're working on Level B now and do one page a day with ds9 (3 days per lesson). We could probably go a little faster now, maybe 2 days per lesson, but this was the maximum pace ds could take in Level A when he was 8 and struggled with writing.

I prefer to do a page a day, which makes a book last about a year.

I have done 1/2 page per day and 2 pages per day, depending upon the child. 1 page per day is the "sweet spot" where we chug along happily retaining and not getting burned out.

I'm going to get the full set for one kid. But I don't want to spend the money right now on an entire 2nd set of workbooks for the other kid. How many books do you generally go through in one school year? I'd like for spelling to be every day....but maybe in reality it will happen like 4 days a week. Would I be ok with just getting two workbooks now and the other two workbooks next year? I can't remember how many lessons are in a book.....67 or something like that? Do you do an entire lesson in one day, or does it take more than one day to do a lesson? I'd love to hear how long it's been taking you and your child to go through a book. Thanks!

We take two days to do one level (lesson) unless it's very, very short or doesn't have a lot of writing. We've come across a couple of those already in Book B. Not all of the books have the same number of lessons. For example Book B only has 59 (I think that's pretty close. I'm trying to do this from memory) so if we take two days to do each lesson that's only 120 days, so we are definitely planning on starting Book C at the end of this year and starting Book D in the middle of next year.

As for not buying two books....I took my Apples and Pears student books and had the binding cut off. I trimmed off the bottom of the pages (it's printed on British paper which is longer than American paper) and put each page in a page protector then stuck the page protectors in a three ring binder. My dd does her work using a fine tip white board marker on top of the page protectors that way I've got the student books to use again with younger brother and sister.

I prefer to do a page a day, which makes a book last about a year.

I have done 1/2 page per day and 2 pages per day, depending upon the child. 1 page per day is the "sweet spot" where we chug along happily retaining and not getting burned out.

One page a day sounds like a good idea for my 9 year old.

We take two days to do one level (lesson) unless it's very, very short or doesn't have a lot of writing. We've come across a couple of those already in Book B. Not all of the books have the same number of lessons. For example Book B only has 59 (I think that's pretty close. I'm trying to do this from memory) so if we take two days to do each lesson that's only 120 days, so we are definitely planning on starting Book C at the end of this year and starting Book D in the middle of next year.

As for not buying two books....I took my Apples and Pears student books and had the binding cut off. I trimmed off the bottom of the pages (it's printed on British paper which is longer than American paper) and put each page in a page protector then stuck the page protectors in a three ring binder. My dd does her work using a fine tip white board marker on top of the page protectors that way I've got the student books to use again with younger brother and sister.

Good idea. I figured I'll just get an extra book B for now. My son is older and this is kind of a "chance" type thing that I'm taking on whether he will cooperate with me and use this spelling program. I'm also going to get the Sequential Spelling for Adults to kind of compare and see which will work better for him. It looks like he'd start at the very end of Book A, so I'll just share those pages using a wipe off page. Then he can use one of the B books. If SS ends up working better for him then I'll still have all of A&P to use for my dd (I really think she'll love it). If it does work well for him we'll have C & D he can use (hopefully we can progress faster with him) and then dd still has A & B for this year. Sounds confusing....but hopefully you understand what I'm thinking. :001_smile: