Menu

Some little known scholarships

The university we toured last week mentioned a couple programs that sounded interesting. Thought I'd pass them along.

Critical Language Scholarship Program: The Critical Language Scholarship (CLS) Program offers fully-funded summer language institutes for U.S. university students and is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.

Department of Homeland Security Scholarship Program

I also saw an old email that reminded me of this cyber option NROTC scholarship. It's very focused in the type of students they are looking for, but could be a great deal for those who are a match (computer background and an interest in the military).

NROTC Cyber Option scholarship

Minority Serving Institution NROTC scholarship (This is based on the college/university being attended, not the background of the candidate.) Applications for fall scholarships have been extended until June 2013.

Frederick C. Branch Marine Leadership Scholarship USMC option ROTC scholarship, again based on the institution being attended

Army and Air Force have similar scholarships that focus on many of the same colleges.

Thanks, Sebastian! :)

To go along with your generous sharing, here are a few unusual scholarships, and some scholarships for average students. Along the lines of your military scholarships is the SMART scholarship (in which the student receives scholarship $$ for a STEM degree, and then commits to work as a civilian for the military, usually in a research position, for several years after graduation). And if you have a student middle school student, here's a list of scholarships for children under age 13.

And in case you're in the midst of looking at financial aid scholarships, check out the big list of past threads on this topic in post #5 of the pinned thread at the top of the high school board ("Transcripts, Credits, GPA, Grading, Accreditation, College Prep/Applications, Financial Aid, Scholarships -- past threads linked here!"

I would also encourage students to search for small local scholarships. My mil is in her local business association. They gave out five $1000 scholarships last week for which they only had 37 applicants. One school counselor told them that most students don't want to bother with such a small award. To me $1000 is a semester of books or rent during an internship or the earnings from a summer job.

I would also encourage students to search for small local scholarships. My mil is in her local business association. They gave out five $1000 scholarships last week for which they only had 37 applicants. One school counselor told them that most students don't want to bother with such a small award. To me $1000 is a semester of books or rent during an internship or the earnings from a summer job.

Good tip, Sebastian. :) And, there's loads more tips like this one in those past scholarship and financial aid threads in that pinned thread I linked above! ;)

I think there are a lot more essay contests out there than those listed in the link above. It would be hard to list all of them.

A couple I noticed as not being on the list are the DAR essay contest (apply through a local chapter) and the National WWII Museum essay contest. But the more local you can stay the better the odds may be. The WWII Museum contest prize is $1000 for first place, but with over 1000 entries. The local contest I mentioned above had a 1:7 chance of winning $1000.

@Sebastian Very interesting thread. Thank you for starting it! You are correct, the kids who won the scholarships from your MILs business group were very smart to participate in the competition and there wasn't much competition. Some $ is better than no $...

@Lori D I had no idea there were scholarships for children under the age of 13. I am going to email that URL to DD (her PC is about 3 feet from mine...) Most of them probably require that the applicant is a resident of the USA, but possibly some of them are open to Overseas Americans.

Do remember to check and see how the chosen school handles scholarships. Some reduce need based grants/scholarships given $ for $. Others allow them to be stacked. If one is receiving federal subsidized aid, that has to be cut IF scholarships, etc, drop into EFC territory.

It's not always that students can't be bothered with low $$ scholarships. For some, it really isn't worth it. 'Tis always good to check.

(My guys DO go for some local scholarships and have won some... but again, I realize it doesn't help all pending their school and financial award.)

I had no idea there were scholarships for children under the age of 13.

BEST of luck! It was actually a longer list than I would have expected, plus a link to another article on early awareness programs that offer mentoring, scholarships, information, etc.

Do remember to check and see how the chosen school handles scholarships. Some reduce need based grants/scholarships given $ for $. Others allow them to be stacked. If one is receiving federal subsidized aid, that has to be cut IF scholarships, etc, drop into EFC territory.

It's not always that students can't be bothered with low $$ scholarships. For some, it really isn't worth it. 'Tis always good to check.

(My guys DO go for some local scholarships and have won some... but again, I realize it doesn't help all pending their school and financial award.)

That is a good point about reducing financial aid. I'm pretty confident that we will be stuck in the doughnut hole of not being granted need based aid, but not having enough money to pay outright for college. For us a couple $1000 dollar scholarships would make a big difference in the type of choices available (ex. work vs internship over a summer). But you're right that it's worth keeping an eye on.

And if you have a student middle school student, here's a list of scholarships for children under age 13.

Check out the above link if you have a student in high school, too. Many of the scholarships listed are available to students up to 18 yo or through 12th grade. I was surprised when I was looking at it for my younger daughter; my older dd could benefit, too.

• 4 months later...