Menu

Which schools offer automatic, significant scholarships to National Merit Finalists?

plansrme

UT Dallas

http://oue.utdallas.edu/aes/national-merit-scholarships/

National Merit Finalists who list UT Dallas as their first choice with NMSC, by the NMSC stated deadline, automatically receive the AES National Merit Finalist Scholarship.

Award

• Complete coverage of UT Dallas tuition and mandatory fees
  • 4,000 per semester cash stipend to defray the costs of books, supplies, and other expenses
  • $2,000 one-time NMSC Scholarship for an international study abroad program after completion of two academic years in residence

Total estimated value over four academic years: $80,368

Based on the estimated cost of tuition and fees, room and board, and books and supplies for full-time undergraduate students living on campus during the 2011-2012 academic year, the National Merit Finalist Scholarship reduces the cost of attendance at UT Dallas from $21,842 to $2,250 each academic year.

----------------------------------------

University of Alabama

http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/nms.html

National Merit Semifinalist or National Achievement Semifinalist 2013-2014

As a National Merit or Achievement Semifinalist, once you are admitted to UA with a 3.5 cumulative grade point average, we will offer you a Presidential Scholarship, which pays the value of tuition for 4 years or 8 semesters. You must be admitted by December 1 of your senior year in high school to receive this award.

National Merit Finalist or National Achievement Finalist Package 2013-2014

• Value of tuition in-state or out-of-state for 4 years or 8 semesters
  • 1 year of on-campus housing at regular room rate* (based on assignment by Housing and Residential Communities)
  • $1,000 per year University National Merit / Achievement Scholarship for 4 years* (cannot be received if awarded a corporate sponsored scholarship from the National Merit Corporation)
  • One time allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study (after completing one year of study at UA)
  • iPad

* Regular room rate is defined as the largest room option in a particular dorm. Example: Riverside, Lakeside and Ridgecrest have four-person suites. The cost associated with the four-person suite would be the value of the housing scholarship in this circumstance. If you live in an alternate dorm where a double room occupancy is the largest available option, then the cost associated with the double room would be the value of the housing scholarship.

I'm not smart enough to do the hyperlink thing, but College Confidential has a whole sub-forum re: National Merit. Somewhere on there is a VERY long thread that lists NM awards by state. I believe it's around post #727 or so that has the most updated list. Someone else smarter than I might be able to link it here.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/649276-nmf-scholarships-updated-compilation-49.html

Edited to add the above. Hope it works.

Edited again - yea!!! It is post #727 - you have to scroll down on the page a bit to get to that post #

There are some great options. I have wrote an article about university awards tied to National Merit Scholarships that explains the process and provides links to many of the bigger scholarships. Also you may want to check College Confidential as readers there work to try to keep an updated list (don't take it as the final word because it often has errors but it is a place to get some further ideas).

Two big ones I've run across: University of Oklahoma (if you requested college mail on the PSAT, you'll be hearing from them) and University of Kentucky--both offer full rides plus stipends.

Northeastern University offers "up to" full-tuition. Rare for a selective school.

University of Minnesota gives preference for their top 3 scholarships to NM finalists.

If the NMF has a 1450+ on the M/CR of the real SAT, then Pitt often gives them significant merit aid. Full rides are competitive though. "Basic" awards come a couple of weeks after acceptance (which is rolling, so can be used as a safety). Most NMF should be in this category unless coming from a really low score state - or not equaling scores.

URoc's auto scholarship is 18K I believe - significant, but with a 60K COA - still not auto inexpensive. Kids are competitive for more aid, but not all get it.

There are some great options. I have wrote an article about university awards tied to National Merit Scholarships that explains the process and provides links to many of the bigger scholarships. Also you may want to check College Confidential as readers there work to try to keep an updated list (don't take it as the final word because it often has errors but it is a place to get some further ideas).

Thanks for that. I want to mention Drexel, AUBURN, and U of Kentucky from that list specifically: Drexel because it seems fairly selective for automatic merit aid of any kind; AUBURN because, well, AUBURN is awesome; and Kentucky because I just drove through western Kentucky last week, and it was gorgeous.

Thanks for that. I want to mention Drexel, AUBURN, and U of Kentucky from that list specifically: Drexel because it seems fairly selective for automatic merit aid of any kind; AUBURN because, well, AUBURN is awesome; and Kentucky because I just drove through western Kentucky last week, and it was gorgeous.

With all of these programs another big thing to consider is what the academic experience will be like for an honors student. Just as an example - I'm not particularly impressed with the general freshman experience for students at the University of Kentucky. Advising isn't great, big classes, and especially for unmotivated kids it can be a not particularly good experience. It is a whole different ballgame for the honors students. They are "big fish" for sure - brand new beautiful honors housing, high quality advising, small seminars, support for undergraduate research, and they have the direct line to mentorships, research support, etc. Same goes at some of these other big university options - Alabama in particular has great offerings for honors students.

For families that are looking for the full ride scholarships I encourage you not to be put off by any general reviews of a college. A motivated student can do great things at any of these schools and if your student doesn't have high financial need, these may end up being your most affordable options by far and a great way to graduate debt-free.

For families that are looking for the full ride scholarships I encourage you not to be put off by any general reviews of a college. A motivated student can do great things at any of these schools and if your student doesn't have high financial need, these may end up being your most affordable options by far and a great way to graduate debt-free.

I agree, but I'll also note that high stats kids tend to be in demand at many places. These auto places are not always the best options whether the family has financial need or not. It's definitely worth it to have one or two as safeties (and safeties can be first choices sometimes!), but also try some of the competitive merit aid schools they like. You never know...

Any student who is an NMF will be desirable and probably a top contender for all sorts of other merit aid.

If your child's top choice does offer merit aid, have him/her apply on the grounds that it can't hurt. Someone does earn those uber-selective merit scholarships to top (though not Ivy) schools!

Two big ones I've run across: University of Oklahoma (if you requested college mail on the PSAT, you'll be hearing from them) and University of Kentucky--both offer full rides plus stipends.

Northeastern University offers "up to" full-tuition. Rare for a selective school.

University of Minnesota gives preference for their top 3 scholarships to NM finalists.

Some juniors and seniors from my daughter's school took a whirlwind college tour of Boston last spring, and they raved about Northeastern. I had never even heard of it before, but they loved it more than all of the other schools in Boston. A couple are applying, and one of her very good friends is likely to attend if she can get accepted and can swing the $$$. Good to know about the others as well--Minnesota might be worth a visit, and U of Ky has been on her radar since she saw their gymnasts compete at the SEC meet last year: their girls looked like her on beam. She does look really pretty in blue!