Menu

What subjects needed for 2nd grade?

Hi everyone,

I would like to know what subjects 2nd grade would cover. I am more confused about the Language Arts aspect. Phonics, Reading, Writing, Grammar? What should i include to have a complete 2nd grade LA? Thanks so much!

I use the recommendations in TWTM and I believe they are:

Writing

Grammar

Literature (phonics should be finished by now, but if not substitute this for phonics work)

Spelling

Additionally, we did:

Math

Earth Science/Astronomy

Latin

Art

History

Bible

For language arts, my second grader will be doing the following next year: Explode the Code 3, Spelling Workout C, Rod and Staff 2 (She finished up FLL1 and 2 already.) and the second half of WWE1 (first half done last year). She reads voraciously on her own so independent reading is covered. She will be taking a co op "book club" class, but I consider that an elective. We do literature read alouds as a family. Hope that helps you.

-phonics or spelling, not both

-grammar

-writing (penmanship if needed, composition otherwise)

-literature

My dd that just finished second grade had a book for grammar, spelling and composition, and she read high quality children's literature daily. This DD is an advanced reader, and hasn't needed to study phonics for some time now. Her other core subjects were math, science and history. (She also covered poetry and geography a couple times a week, and Latin.)

My kids make the switch from phonics to spelling when they're reading fluently enough they no longer need daily phonics instruction.That's been a different age for all my kids.

I second the suggestion of starting with what TWTM recommends.

I mentally divide subjects into "essential, important, and gravy" categories. Essentials I am very strict with myself about getting to on a daily or almost-daily basis. Important subjects I expect we'll get to several times a week, but I don't beat myself up if we only do them once or twice a week. Gravy subjects are the extras that I add in that, if we miss, I just shrug and move on. For Gr. 2, I broke these down in this way:

Essential

• math
  • phonics-based spelling (or, if reading is not yet strong, phonics for reading)
  • writing (via copywork and narration, as in WWE)
  • daily independent and shared reading

Important

• grammar
  • handwriting
  • science
  • history
  • French

Gravy

• art
  • Latin and/or Greek
  • geography

Hope that this helps!

We do both, also. Rising 3rd grade DD is expected to read something from a shelf I stocked with really good children's literature for her for a particular time each day, and we have a read aloud stack we work through each day. (Her rising 5th grade brother and rising K sister share that read aloud time with her, and the middle school kids listen in too.)

I'm working on this right now also. The biggest problem is my DS7 HATES writing. Today in his math work, he did everything except the part where he was to write out the numbers in word form. He wrote beside this question "Plese not these". What do I do about THAT?

As far as Literature goes, if he reads pretty well on his own should I have him reading independently each day or can I read to him? Or both?

My boys read everyday independently for an hour. They have assigned reading too and read alouds.

The biggest problem is my DS7 HATES writing. Today in his math work, he did everything except the part where he was to write out the numbers in word form. He wrote beside this question "Plese not these". What do I do about THAT?

It depends on why your son hates writing. My older son hand swells at the wrist because of "too much" writing. He does not have the physical writing stamina. I had the same problem too. For him, I have to use "mum's instinct" and judge if his hand is strained or he is lazy to write. My rising 2nd grader gets tired writing but his hand is not strained like the older. For him, I have to alternate writing subjects with non or less writing ones throughout the day.

My boys read everyday independently for an hour. They have assigned reading too and read alouds.

It depends on why your son hates writing. My older son hand swells at the wrist because of "too much" writing. He does not have the physical writing stamina. I had the same problem too. For him, I have to use "mum's instinct" and judge if his hand is strained or he is lazy to write. My rising 2nd grader gets tired writing but his hand is not strained like the older. For him, I have to alternate writing subjects with non or less writing ones throughout the day.

I don't know. I just don't think he likes it. Also, he doesn't like that I try to correct his grip (which I've complained about here, before!)