Menu

The Homeschool Twist Article

Bang!Zoom!

"Partial homeschooling can provide the best of both worlds, Ruf says. If they're fully removed from school, "bright students will miss out on knowing what ‘real people' are like. We want our future policymakers to be grounded in real life without having to sacrifice their own high abilities and talents.""

Well okay then.

Partial homeschooling may indeed be a good solution to accommodate gifted students.

I liked the article until I got to this part:

"Partial homeschooling can provide the best of both worlds, Ruf says. If they're fully removed from school, "bright students will miss out on knowing what ‘real people' are like. We want our future policymakers to be grounded in real life without having to sacrifice their own high abilities and talents.""

Homeschoolers do not know "real people" and are not "grounded in real life"????

What a load of BS.

ETA: OP, thanks for posting the link. I have posted it on the Accelerated board, since we currently discuss gifted education in schools.

Yes, I was fine with it until that last paragraph Violet quoted. Of course, this is Scholastic, which is so entwined with public schools it's practically an arm of the Dept of Education.

The idea itself is something we may do in future years... If we homeschool HS, we will probably dual enroll. Our state has great laws for it, kids can participate in sports and activities as well as classes, and it will save me the agony of having to teach high school science, which is far from my idea of a good time! :D

Well okay then.

:blink: :mad: :svengo:

Yes, I was fine with it until that last paragraph Violet quoted. Of course, this is Scholastic, which is so entwined with public schools it's practically an arm of the Dept of Education.

The idea itself is something we may do in future years... If we homeschool HS, we will probably dual enroll. Our state has great laws for it, kids can participate in sports and activities as well as classes, and it will save me the agony of having to teach high school science, which is far from my idea of a good time! :D

Glad your state has worked this out!

Our state should be like that but the reality is that the schools are clueless about homeschooling. Anyone I know who's tried utilizing the school has met confusion and hostile teachers.

So, is it just me or is Ruf making a argument that bright students cannot be best educated in a PS system full time with that statement? As in a recognition that, "Our future policymakers may sacrifice their own high abilities and talents (if constrained to the PS experience alone).

There are some seriously well-constructed programs out there; it's kind of insulting to them.

Glad your state has worked this out!

Our state should be like that but the reality is that the schools are clueless about homeschooling. Anyone I know who's tried utilizing the school has met confusion and hostile teachers.

That's too bad, as it really is a good opportunity when done right. Now, that's not to say that everyone is welcomed with open arms or that teachers and administrators have to make it easy for HS families... some districts are are easier to work with than others. But the law does provide for it across the board.

So, is it just me or is Ruf making a argument that bright students cannot be best educated in a PS system full time with that statement? As in a recognition that, "Our future policymakers may sacrifice their own high abilities and talents (if constrained to the PS experience alone).

The reality is that most public schools can not provide gifted students with the education they need. Many gifted students will not be able to fully develop their talents and achieve an education according to their abilities if they remain full time in a normal public school.

There are some seriously well-constructed programs out there; it's kind of insulting to them.

I do not see it as an insult. These good programs are rare and a drop in the bucket; most gifted students do not have access to these opportunities. While many school districts have some kind of program that is billed as Gifted and Talented education, they often fall far short of the mark. They may be a nice opportunity for "good" students, but a truly gifted student performing several years above grade level will not receive the needed academic challenge.

I have two gifted children whom I had to pull out of middle school because they were bored out of their minds - despite this being a "good", blue ribbon awarded, school district, and enrollment in the "gifted" program.

I agree with you Regentrude. I don't know how many years of my life have been derailed, same as you, same reasons.

I think it's the technical application of instance in the "all or none" category that comes across for me, just as you highlighted the words "most" which I agree with.

It makes me half curious and wondering to what geographical area she is talking about. Is it blanket, a region, a specific track of study....on and on. The statements she's making are just so wide and casting too big a blanket for me to consider that opinion valid or well thought out.

I also wonder if the editing is slanted. This woman has a pretty deep resume. Could she be at risk for being taken out of context? It's not like she fell off the cart yesterday.

I think many of us are responding to the slap-to-the-face compliment/put-down..... "you have such a pretty face, too bad you are chubby" -the false compliment. It was a nice article till the end, seems like many people are afraid to praise homeschooling too enthusiastically and must throw in the obligatory dig.

my area does not offer duel enrollment for homeschoolers, the public schools in my area are pretty hostile to homeschoolers, we are not allowed to do sports or band or anything here.

Ugh. I'm a very happy partial homeschooler (6 hrs a week at school/14 at home) but this articles ending makes me want to take it back :/. My kids meet "real" people everywhere...in fact I'm having a hard time thinking up where I can go to meet these fake people!

When are we going to figure out there is no universal "right" way? Some people do great in public school, some do equally well at home, some (like my family) find they do best with a mix. Can't we all be right?