Menu

If you were starting to teach cursive at an older age (9), what resource would you use?

madteaparty

My ds will be in 5th grade this year. He just started a couple of weeks ago the 4th grade HWOT cursive book. He just does 1 page 4 X per week. He'll finish by the end of the year and start the 5th grade book. This past year we just used a lap white board and learned to form each lowercase letter. Then I just made up fun short sentences for him to copy on the white board. We didn't do it reguarly. It was enough practice though that I'm pretty impressed with his output so far in HWOT.

My ds will be in 5th grade this year. He just started a couple of weeks ago the 4th grade HWOT cursive book. He just does 1 page 4 X per week. He'll finish by the end of the year and start the 5th grade book. This past year we just used a lap white board and learned to form each lowercase letter. Then I just made up fun short sentences for him to copy on the white board. We didn't do it reguarly. It was enough practice though that I'm pretty impressed with his output so far in HWOT.

This is sort of what we do. Eldest has to do one page spread of the HWT book 3. He can pick to do them when he wants during the week. So far he has never choosen to leave them till the end of the week. He usually has his 4 page spreads done by Wednesday.

I like the fact it is his first subject done indepently.

At the speed he is going it will take him about 4 months? Then I will just have him write his history copywork sentences he does in cursive.

I've found the instructions in Writing Road to Reading 6th edition to be the easiest to teach remedial adults.

Don Potter’s new cursive program looks good for right-handed students without learning disabilities I considered switching over to this, since it goes along with the phonics program I use, but the WRTR vertical hand is easier for my LD lefties.

I don't teach uppercase cursive, just lowercase. I teach a compatible manuscript hand for the uppercase letters.

3edd9415.jpg

Another vote for HWOT, my 8yo is doing great with the 3rd grade book. Very easy to follow instruction and completely independent. I haven't yet required cursive in other subjects but I am seeing him doing it on his own, sometimes in his other schoolwork and sometimes in his drawings.

My oldest started cursive at almost 8 ... I printed off a few free sheets from learningpage ... then used this book : http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Handwriting-Practice-Contemporary-Cursive/dp/155799756X/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371699555&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=even+moore+cursive

He and I both really liked it ... the lines are big enough without being too big .. for him anyway :)

We've always used Zaner-Bloser. It's inexpensive, easy to implement, and very effective. I'm rather picky about handwriting and Zaner-Bloser fits the bill for us. We started their cursive in grade 3, spending taking about 10 minutes a day; by years end, my son had beautiful cursive. This year, in grade 4, he begged to do most of his written work in cursive, he enjoyed it so much. :001_smile:

Mine will be 9, and I will be using something like the Vimala Alphabet for 3rd Grade, for fourth, I'll be ramping it up with the more Decorative Spencerian.

Right now I write my notes/index cards/tasks to my daughter in both manuscript and my natural cursive (which is slightly deco) depending upon my mood (I'm one of those people whose handwriting changes from day to day), so she has to learn to read my handwriting, whether it be simple, deco, or scrawled. She uses that and imitates my cursive when doing things, but I don't expect anything, I'm just introducing her to different styles, she picks it up though.

So if I was a rigorous classical homeschooler who meant to start it way earlier, I would probably get a simple workbook like Pentime or Zaner Bloser for a bit more involvement. Neither of my options are workbook based, but are more involved in spending time with the student, or the student imitating, rather than rote workbooks.

I happen to be partial to Zaner Blosers workbooks myself (and actually really like their cursive) but, alas, they are hard to get outside of their website, so I gave up on that idea.

I also have Startwrite, which could be an option for you. Its computer software for creating your own handwriting sheets, which means you could choose the cursive you like from the program (I'm not sure whats available, as I stick to a certain kind right now thats close to ZB Manuscript), and tie your handwriting into your current studies.

My son learned cursive using HWOT. Note: some people , myself included, don't like the way the r is formed. To remedy that but still get use out of the book I just taught the r separately. I also used a Scholastic book called Cursive Writing Made Fun and Easy. It was based on Zaner Bloser. My ds had no trouble combining a HWOT script and a ZB script. Why I really like this little book is because there are a lot of multi sensory activities to help learn cursive beyond writing. My kids like projects. For extra practice Scholastic has fun cursive copywork riddle books and other things like that. Adds a fun spark that can be missing in HWOT.