Menu

Suggestions for modern history curriculum; WW I to present

Jackie in NE

Hi all,

I'm looking for a literature-based history program for my two sons, ages 13 and 12. We've been using Veritas Press history and have made it all the way to WW I. I think it would be really cool to do WW I to the present next year. I think the boys would love, love, love all the stuff relating to the world wars, Korea, Vietnam, Space Exploration, etc. I'd like to make it Literature based because they're still weak in that area. They just don't like to sit and read. I'm hoping to take one more stab at that this coming year.

I welcome any and all suggestions..... I'm not very good at piecing different things together..... I just have difficulty following through with all the distractions of the ranch work.

Thanks for any help you can offer. And we're off to move some cattle, so I'll check back later this evening.

Cheers!

I don't know about literature-based history programs for this time period, but what about using Human Odyssey Volume 3, a slim text that covers this time period, and then using the literature suggestions for 8th grade/modern from WTM alongside?

I agree partly with this option---though I wouldn't call 400 pages slim! This past year dd used The Human Odyssey vol, 3 (1914-about 2008). I had intended that she read historical fiction as well but she told me she absolutely detests it. Oops lol. Instead, I substituted very high quality nonfiction books like

Years of Dust: The Story of the Dust Bowl by Albert Merrin

Remember Pearl Harbor by Thomas Allen

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust by Doreen Rappaport (absolutely amazing in conjunction w the Hitler Youth book!)

Remember D-Day by Ronald Drez

Dear Miss Breed by Joanne Oppenheim (Japanese internment in US)

Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon by Catherine Thimmesh (which lead to about 10 more books)

10,000 Days of Thunder by Philip Caputo (Vietnam)

When the Wall Came Down by Serge Schmemann (the Cold War by a reporter who covered the former East Germany)

That choice was very successful for dd. She would much rather read about what actually happened than read about the same events through the prism of fiction.

MFW 1850-Modern? They use SOTW 4 as the main spine, and then Marie adds in biblical worldview content in the teacher's manual. Some of the resources scheduled are for younger children, so you wouldn't need those. You could either do the scheduled science or not. If interested, let me know and I'll list out which resources you'd need for your guys. http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/30/0/1

I agree partly with this option---though I wouldn't call 400 pages slim! This past year dd used The Human Odyssey vol, 3 (1914-about 2008). I had intended that she read historical fiction as well but she told me she absolutely detests it. Oops lol. Instead, I substituted very high quality nonfiction books like

Years of Dust: The Story of the Dust Bowl by Albert Merrin

Remember Pearl Harbor by Thomas Allen

Hitler Youth: Growing Up in Hitler's Shadow by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

Beyond Courage: The Untold Story of Jewish Resistance During the Holocaust by Doreen Rappaport (absolutely amazing in conjunction w the Hitler Youth book!)

Remember D-Day by Ronald Drez

Dear Miss Breed by Joanne Oppenheim (Japanese internment in US)

Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon by Catherine Thimmesh (which lead to about 10 more books)

10,000 Days of Thunder by Philip Caputo (Vietnam)

When the Wall Came Down by Serge Schmemann (the Cold War by a reporter who covered the former East Germany)

That choice was very successful for dd. She would much rather read about what actually happened than read about the same events through the prism of fiction.

No, you are right, of course! It's just slim compared to the other two volumes I have piled around my desk! :lol:

These are great NF suggestions! Some of them are on my list, but not all . . . yet! :hurray:

No, you are right, of course! It's just slim compared to the other two volumes I have piled around my desk! :lol:

These are great NF suggestions! Some of them are on my list, but not all . . . yet! :hurray:

Just wait until you see The American Odyssey---963 pages before the glossary and index :lol:

I have more NF books on a different list. I'll see what I can find to share w you :)