Menu

Once they learn to read.... then what?

Help....I'm stressing out a little. My daughter reads well and loves to read. We are technically entering 1st. I plan on the following as fas as language arts; AAS1, FLL1, WWE1 and lots of reading. My question is do I need to buy a set of grade level readers? She reads well and has good comprehension as to what she reads. She can read those level readers at level 4 with no problem and understands the content. So I'm worried I need to buy something to keep.her progressing.... I know I sound silly but I'm worried I'm missing something. She is 6 years old by the way.

Please excuse any typos for I'm on my phone and it's 2:45 am at the moment. As I said a little stressed about it.... lol

Do you know what level your DD is reading on? I use the Sonlight list of readers as a guide as to what my DD can read and then use some of those readers and some more from the library on the same level and my DD reads aloud to me daily. I am not sure what you mean by a set of graded readers as some companies make a specific series about the same characters that advance in level and other companies make different books on different levels that lead into chapter books - I have used some of all of these with my DD but never specifically bought a set of readers. There are also phonics readers and these are the ones I would not advise buying if your DD is reading well as then they are unnecessary and it would make more sense for her to be reading good quality literature rather than something that just practices a sound. Phonics at this level can be taught through spelling.

Maybe do the tests on Sonlight or look at the Heart of Dakota reading lists, figure out where your DD is with reading and then get her books on her level to read gradually increasing the level. The reason I suggest these companies is that the readers are child friendly and will not address issues that are hard for a 6 year old to handle even if they are reading ahead. I would also make sure that she still reads aloud to you as often at that age they need some vocabulary help rather than phonetic help and it also helps to catch issues you might not think were there if she just read silently.

Definitely not! The beauty of having a fluent reader is that she can choose any books at the library (within reason) and read away. Definitely continue reading aloud to her and having her read aloud to you every single day. I think buying graded readers can really hold a a child back; she will likely progress much faster than you can supply her with books and soon enough, you'll own a stack of books that are no longer of interest to her. My library has a special section for kids at this level. They call it something like 'easy chapter books' or 'transition to chapter books' or some such. It has many books by Dick King-Smith http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dick+king+smith+in+books, the Flat Stanley series http://www.amazon.com/Flat-Stanley-His-Original-Adventure/dp/0060097914/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371378921&sr=1-2&keywords=flat+stanley, The Cobble Street Cousins series by Cynthia Rylant http://www.amazon.com/Aunt-Lucys-Kitchen-Ready---Chapters/dp/0689817088/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371378742&sr=8-1&keywords=cynthia+rylant+chapter+books and other similar books. My girls all hovered there between 5-7 years of age before they were ready to zoom along to read basically anything in the children's section. If these are a little challenging for her yet, you could buddy read with her (you read a paragraph, she reads a paragraph) until she out-grows the need for your help.

Why are you worried? If she is reading well, let her read. Instead of vocabulary-controlled basal readers, give her good trade books--books that you would find in the library or in a bookstore. The vocabulary tends to be more varied, and the stories are much more creative and interesting. And challenging. Go to the library regularly and let her read. :-)

I DON'T believe that you need to specifically purchase readers (unless they are recommended by a curriculum you are following).

I DO recommend that you keep reading with your daughter, even though she can "read for herself."

It is common for parents to quit reading aloud to their kids once the kids can read for themselves. This stultifies the learning curve for kids, and many kids, in and out of ps run into trouble around 4th grade because of it. They continue to read the same books at the same level over and over again. Although there is a time and place for repetitive reading, a parent continuing to read aloud to children THROUGH HIGH SCHOOL will:

1) improve vocabulary for children by always introducing words that are one step above what the child can/would read on their own

2) introduce deeper topics/ideas for exposure and discussion.

3) give the child an opportunity to read a paragraph at a time in a tougher book, rather than committing to a whole book.

We are in the same place as you. Dd6 has finished K, and we are happily anticipating 1st at the end of the summer. Some books we are reading together:

--Usborne readers (and quicklinks)

--Magic Schoolbus chapter books

--Magic Treehouse Fact Trackers

--Caldecott, Zolotov, and Goldfinch Award Winners

--Usborne collections of Shakespeare and Dickens

--Zoobooks and Kids Discover magazines

--miscellaneous chapter books from our library

I DO recommend that you keep reading with your daughter, even though she can "read for herself."

It is common for parents to quit reading aloud to their kids once the kids can read for themselves.

I continued reading aloud to my dds as long as they'd let me. :-)

My dd reads well for her age. (We don't use Sonlight, but I had her do the reading placement test on their website, just out of curiosity, and she tested out of it.) We pick a chapter book at around a third or fourth grade reading level, and she reads me one chapter a day. After she's done, I have her tell me what happened, and I ask her a few reading comp questions.

The Scholastic Book Wizard is a great resource for finding books at a given reading level, if you haven't come across it yet:

http://www.scholastic.com/bookwizard/

I think you're fine. One thing that my DS did this past year and really liked is the Inference Jones: Beginning workbook from Critical Thinking Press. I noticed when my oldest began standardized testing in 2nd that she did really well on the reading comprehension sections except for inference questions. That's a tricky skill so I decided with DS that I would start working on it before he ran into it on standardized tests. He did one lesson per week in Inference Jones and by the end of the book he was much better at answering the inference questions.

I wouldn't do graded readers because I think they're boring as all get-out. Plus, I think that they teach that it's OK to read "easy" stuff--it's like mental marshmallows. Yummy, but of no nutritive value whatsoever.

What I'm doing with my DD (5.5) is finishing 100 EZ Lessons(yes, I'm aware people hate it, but she loves it--and hates the BOB books with the passion of 1,000 fiery suns, so, whatever :) ), concurrently doing a page a day in Phonics Pathways for reinforcement, and then picking up with the OPGTR. We'll be continuing Phonics Pathways alongside, for reinforcement.

She does not like to read by herself, and flatly refuses to voluntarily read aloud on say, a billboard. So, we're just going to stick with the learning-to-read texts, which she weirdly loves. I have given her fair warning that when we finish 100EZ lessons, she must read a book a day aloud to me, instead. I think I'll probably start with Seuss or something similar.

My goal is that when we finish OPGTR, she'll be able to read (sound out) pretty much any book she'll pick up, with a little assistance. Then, I'll focus on her reading the children's books by topic. For example, she's really into constellations this month, so we've checked out a half-dozen children's books on constellations from the library. Next year at this time, I'm planning on having her read those to me.

OTOH, we read aloud to her every night before bed, and listen to Weiss stories (& similar) nearly every day in the car. Her speaking vocabulary is immensely larger than her reading vocabulary, so I'm not worried about her eventual comprehension levels.

After the children's books go smoothly, we'll read together, silently, books that we both find interesting. Naturally I'll read faster, which will goad her to increase her reading speed, and because we'll pick the books together, they'll continually challenge her reading levels. I'm betting that in two or three years, she'll be able to read and at least superficially comprehend pretty much anything. This is how my grandmother taught my mother to read, and how my mother taught me to read--and we're all excellent readers.

I wouldn't worry. It sounds like she has a good grasp on reading. I would bring her to the library and let her pick out a variety of books. Throw in a couple of your own choosing, too!

Side story- I recently saw a mom with a daughter your daughter's age at the library. Kid wanted to pick out books to read but mom INSISTED that she could not go past the 1st grade readers because, "You're in 1st grade." To see this poor child's face as she was forced to pick out things she definitely did not want was sad.

Just hit the library often and let her pick her own books. Picture books often go into the 4th-5th grade reading level, so they're a great choice. Even if the books are "easy", that's ok. Books being easy = a child who enjoys the reading more. ;)

My oldest was done learning to read when he was in first grade. I just gave him chapter books and plenty of good picture books. I also read aloud to him still (he's going into 4th grade and can read anything).

You certainly don't need to worry! You have it easy, as "learning to read" is one less subject from your line up. :) My middle son is going into first grade, and he's still learning to read. I'd much rather drop the "reading" subject! :D

Thank you Everyone! !!! I guess I'm just worried I'll do the wrong thing since DD is the oldest. I'm glad to hear she's doing whatshe needs to. We do go to the library ffrequently and we purchase real books for her when we feel ints a book worth buying. I've currently been eyeing some old story collections that I would love to get for my girls. My husband has one set but I'd to get a variety since the language is so rich not babied down so to speak. I'm very proud of my little book worm, she carries a bag full of books wherever she goes. That's how she passes the time in the car these days, needless to say a floorboard full of books is not a mess I complain about :-)