Menu

CLE Language Arts...is the Teacher Guide necessary?

joyfulmomSDG

I think the teacher guide is necessary in levels 100 and 200. In 300, the guide is helpful. In 400, the teacher's guide consists only of alternate tests. At level 400 and beyond, I buy the answer key instead of the teacher's guide.

We used 100 level this year and my husband definitely needed it. I think it depends on your level of understanding of grammar and spelling rules. I probably could have gotten away without it.

Thank you all- sounds like it may be helpful for me to have on-hand. Grammar & spelling rules are not my strong suit!

Can I also ask if it is way off to be starting my rising 2nd grader in level 100? We did FLL 1 and AAS 1 last year, and she just doesn't seem to have retained them as well as my son did. Particularly when the CLE placement test says things like "circle the word that has the consonant digraph." She has no idea what that term means, but when I re-explain it briefly she gets it and moves along quickly with correct answers. She is a very strong reader but she seems clueless as to all of these terms and rules! Also, over the course of this past year, I have noticed that she is definitely more of a workbook-type than my boys have been.

I've got one in LA 1, 2, and 4 right now. I use the answer key for my 4th grader to make things quicker to check. I don't use the one for my 2nd grader. I didn't originally use the one for 1st grade, but I could not figure out some of the pictures that she was supposed to write the word for. For example, there was a picture of a forest clearing with a kid and a sun. Apparently she was supposed to write "day." I finally broke down and bought the teacher's manual for 1st.

If your daughter works about grade-level, I would have no problem starting in the 2nd grade books. You could always start in the last couple 1st grade books (107 or 108) if you wanted some review. Everything in CLE is very incremental and the beginning of the year is review, so you'd probably have no problem starting in the 200's.

Good luck!

If your daughter works about grade-level, I would have no problem starting in the 2nd grade books. You could always start in the last couple 1st grade books (107 or 108) if you wanted some review. Everything in CLE is very incremental and the beginning of the year is review, so you'd probably have no problem starting in the 200's.

Thank you! I don't want to be redundant, but I do want to make sure she is really solid before moving on. She does work on grade-level so the review at the beginning of 200 may be enough along with a refresher of the terminology.

I haven't seen the 200 level yet, but I think the 100 level is pretty advanced. I learned some things! I had never heard of consonant digraph either : ) I might do what sleeplessnights suggested, and just start with the last couple 100 level light units before moving onto the 200. There does seem to be plenty of built in review.

I didn't think I needed the Teachers manual for the 100 series, but then ended up buying it because I couldn't decifer some of the pictures the student had to write the word for. We just got done with the 200 series this past year and having it has been good for my daughter to check her answers against and it gave me some strategies to teach topics I wasn't as familiar with. It was cheap enough to be worth it.