Menu

MindPlay Virtual Reading Coach?

Ever since I first read about this on a HSBC email, I have been eyeing this program. Well, the deal finally went live.

MindPlay Virtual Reading Coach

I think that it looks like a wonderful program, but I am also someone who is easily entraced by shiny new curricula choices. I'd like some more opinions, because it is a pricey ($199/year) program.

Has anyone had any experience with MindPlay Virtual Reading Coach?

My son reads and seems to comprehend at above his grade level, but really struggles with spelling and stumbles over words during oral reading. I suspect that his phonics base isn't as strong as it could be, but it is hard to find a way to help a kid who reads really well... but doesn't somehow. I think that this could really help. I'd be willing to pay the $199 for one year if it would really solidify his skills, but I'm just not sure. I like that is seems very complete... even includes an eye tracking portion.

I'm also curious to know how my first grader (just starting to read) would do with it. It doesn't look fun or flashy.

There is some information on HSBC and the company's website.

After searching, I also found this PDF of the program's Resource Guide on the web, and it has a lot more infomation about the program:

Resource Guide

What does the hive think? Any reading experts want to weigh in? Is anyone else going to try it?

• 10 months later...

I just read your post.  Did you end up trying the program ?  My daughter has identical struggles as your child.  She stumbles when reading aloud and has tested very low in phonemic awareness.  She also struggles in spelling.  However, her reading comprehension is actually above grade level (she is currently 10 and in 5th grade).  Mindplay is pricey for our budget as well, but I am looking for an online program that will help her boost her phonemic awareness.  If you tried this or found something else that worked please let me know.   I would love any suggestions or feedback you may have.   Thanks !

• 8 months later...

I searched the WTM forum and can't find anyone who has experience with this but am interested in trying it.  There is a 30 day trial available (or you buy it and can return it within 30 days if it doesn't work, I forgot which).  I'm considering it for my dyslexic 7 year old DS who has just started reading recently, thanks to Lindamood-Bell Seeing Stars program at one of their centers, but I want to continue to give him intensive or somewhat intensive experience at home and can't actually do that much of it with him one-on-one due to various constraints on time, etc.  Has anyone tried it?  I will post this to Learning Challenges board also.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

HI - I know this is an old post but I just did a search for "Mindplay" and it came up.... I was searching any other moms that might be using this to supplement their curriculum....

Anyway, we purchased Mindplay for both of our children, and we do think it is definitely worth the money and I am happy with it.  We have only been using it about a month though,A and not everyday, but.... I am happy with it.

Some of the sections involve a video of a teacher (well technically they are trained speech pathologists) do the exact same orton-gilligham methods that they use for Dyslexia Therapy that costs $50+/hr.... so in the grand scheme of things, they are getting something for $199 that, if done by a private dyslexia therapist would be thousands of dollars.  That being said, however, I do feel that "real life" dyslexia therapy is preferred, if you can get it for free through a local scottish rite program or whatever.

I will say I watched lots of marketing videos on youtube about Mindplay and... hearing some of the testimonials from school principals/teachers etc. really sold me ? Who knows they could have been fake and actors though HA. 

My oldest has dyslexia, my youngest does not (is actually very advanced) but I felt it that to be fair they both needed to do so they both are ?

Anyway, that has been my experience but would love to hear from others - good or bad - thanks

On 9/8/2015 at 11:39 AM, bluebonnetgirl said:

Has anyone tried Mindplay Virtual Reading Coach?  Would love some feedback.  Thanks so much.