Menu

Sing, Spell, Read, and Write

TKDmom

Has anyone used this at the pre-k level? I'm looking for something to do with my almost 4yo. She is demanding to learn how to read and write and she loves music...

How does the program work? What are the different components? Did you enjoy it?

I use the activity sheets with my dd. I looked into it for my 4 year old and I found it was way too babyish for him at that age. A friend literally inter library loaned the entire program from a community college for me to preview. There's no writing in the prek level. It's literally just coloring sheets with the letters and then instructions to circle/color the things that make that sound. There's no math sheets, just a lot of coloring sheets to find the things that don't belong and other activities like that. Nothing you couldn't pick up in a WalMart preschool book for a few bucks. Seriously.

The teacher book is full of fun activity suggestions, and although i was intrigued by it, IMHO it was nothing worth the price tag. You could easily pull together the same activities from numerous other sources.

The materials are ABC flash cards, some popsicle sticks, and laminated ABC sheets and things of that nature.

Others may have had different experiences, but IMO I would save your money. The activity sheets alone are great for my 2 year old who wanted her own school papers. She can point at the letter and say the sound. But really that's not even necessary for a 2 year old.

I had luck using Explode The Code Get Ready Set Go books with my ds at that age. Also Handwriting Without Tears with wooden letter pieces. You may like Peak With Books for extra activities and good lit ideas for that age. If your child knows her letters you could even start the first lessons in OPGTR.

You might also really like Montessori homeschooling albums for ideas. Something like http://www.montessoriathomebook.com/Home.html/

Thanks for your input! I saw a cheap copy of the program, so I thought I'd look into it. I really have so many pre-k resources from my boys that I shouldn't be looking at new programs. ;) Thanks for reminding me about HWT. I have the blocks, but I forget about them. It's probably time to get her her own workbook so I have a framework for the activities.

I got a copy of PP from the library and did a few lessons with her. I may do that or use 100 EZ lessons, which my other kids used. I just don't think I can stand another go-through with that book. :svengo:

I understand about preschool resources. I think I'm at a place where I will never look at another preK or K resource again. It's ridiculous.

You may like WRTR when she's a bit older. Or even look into the AAR and AAS stuff. People really seem to like those programs.

MEP Reception is free online and a gentle enough math level to do with a 4 year old.