Menu

Summer fun?

twoxcell

What are you guys doing with your kids this summer that is fun? We have been done with school for a little over a week, and I think the kids are getting a bit bored. They haven't said that. Next week we have VBS and there are a few other fun things coming up this summer but I am looking for some ideas. :bigear:

Check your local library. Ours is offering some classes, puppet shows, activities, etc.===all free. See if your local city/township is offering any special fun days, etc. Our township has "Rockin' Robinson" 4-5 Thursday nights over the course of the summer where they have various bands come in and play--all styles of music from rock to hymn sings (but all lyrics are family friendly) and local little businesses come in with a petting zoo, snow cones, little carnival games, hay rides, etc---it varies each week. Lots of fun for free.

We do the local library's summer reading program every year. Our local theater group brings the Missoula Children's Theater to town every summer to do a week-long "camp"/production. You can check their tour schedule for your area; they go all over the country. We always liked to head to the farmer's market on the weekends to see what was new. Try the different city parks. Water fights in the backyard. The community here is doing a family friendly bike ride one Sunday afternoon a month.

Erica in OR

We also do a summer family fun list (aka bucket list but dh hates that term). My kids are young, too though but it has things like pick strawberries, have a messy day outside (mud, sprinklers, large paint project, etc), go without shoes for the day, eat all our meals outside one day, etc.

We aren't doing a vacation since DH and DS went to Florida in the spring. They will also spend several days at the in-laws' house, which is close to the beach. DS will also spend a separate week alone at the in-laws' house and they'll go to the beach, zoo, baseball games, etc. Besides that, DS and I will spend some time going to local parks, state parks, hiking, picnicking, going to the zoo, going to several free classes at the library, and spending time at the pool. When DS was younger we put together a summer fun list every year and did lots of little things like get up in the middle of the night and eat ice cream on the lawn while watching the stars.