Menu

7yo still hasn't lost any teeth

I'm actually surprised your dentist was concerned! My ds was a little older than that when he lost his first tooth, and our pediatric dentist says my kids are well within "normal".

The other thing though... Have you ever had a bone age x-ray done? Children who are growth-delayed often have delayed dental development as well. We were actually surprised that my dd wasn't more delayed (as I said, a little slower than other kids dentally, but still well within normal) because her "bone age" is almost two years behind her chronological age. (That means her body thinks she's four even though she's six -- she's a fairly average-sized 4yo, but she's an awfully tiny 6yo, lol... But according to all the information we have, she will grow, but just later than her peers.) But many kids who are like her find their dental development is more closely allied to their bone age than their chronological age.

I would have a discussion with your dentist (and if he's not a pediatric dentist, I would refuse to do anything without a second opinion from a pediatric dentist) about how his other growth may be related to his dental development. And if your insurance will cover it, you could even do a "bone age x-ray". (Although if he has been following a steady growth curve, you may not need to -- we did one because dd hadn't grown in so long, though of course right after we did it, she grew an inch!) It's non-invasive and very easy, and would be a better measure for your dentist about where your son should be than his chronological age.

And if your insurance will cover it, you could even do a "bone age x-ray"

This is a great idea that I had never thought of! I will be in touch with his ped to see about arranging it.

The dentist is a pediatric dentist, that's what got me concerned!

I'm really glad to know that this is well within normal and I need not worry (aren't there enough things to worry about :001_smile:?!)

My dd swears her first one is loose. She is just 1 week away from 7 yrs old. Her dentist is not concerned about it, except from the orthondontia/crooked teeth issues. Which is a whole 'nuther ball game, and a whole 'nuther Bill. :rolleyes:

My dd9 didn't get her first loose tooth until she was 8, Now my dd6 still hasn't lost any teeth. Their dentist says not to worry. Just think that the longer it takes for their adult teeth to come in the longer they have for their adult teeth to get cavities, ect. Don't worry.

I've known many children who didn't lose a tooth until after 7. I wouldn't be worried.

ditto. It hasn't been a problem in the children that I've known. was he late in getting his baby teeth? My niece didn't get a baby tooth until 20 mos! and she's been late losing them too.

Ds3 just lost his first baby tooth at 7 years, 6 months. He's now lost 4 and he'll be 8 tomorrow. (He also just chipped 1/4 of one of one of his permanent teeth off yesterday! Ack!) His dentist isn't worried! All my older kids lost teeth late though. My 12 yo still has a TON of baby teeth to lose!

Dd2.5 JUST got her eye teeth and we're still waiting for her 2 year molars. I have the feeling she'll be losing her teeth late too! She's TINY for her age too.

Good luck! Doesn't sound like anything is wrong!

When DS turned eight and hadn't lost the first two bottom incisors (but had lost other incisors) they took a panoramic x-ray that showed that he in fact did not have any adult teeth there. Lovely big roots on the ones that had come in, and then nothing where there should have been two right up front there. So far those two baby teeth have hung in there, but if they fall out before he's 18 (and they probably will....) he'll have to have a spacer to maintain the positions of his other teeth and when he's fully grown they'll do permanent implants. It's not a disaster, just kind of weird. :)

My dd just had a dental appointment today. She's 7 years, 1 month and hasn't lost any teeth yet. The dentist was not worried at all. He did ask if she was late getting teeth (she was) and said that children who get teeth late often lose them later than average as well. No biggie.

My son was little over 7 1/2 before he lost his first tooth. But he was over a year before he got any baby teeth. My dentist said that the later they get their baby teeth, the later it will be before they fall out. Both are a very GOOD thing in his opinion, because then the adult teeth will not be exposed as long.

Stephanie

Like Abbey, I'm surprised your dentist is concerned. From what I've heard, there's a huge range of time during which children lose their baby teeth. Mine oldest three were all 7 when they lost their first tooth. They all have great teeth ~ I took them to the dentist last month for the first time in four years (!) and he confirmed that. I wouldn't worry in the least if I were you, and judging by the replies here, you're in good company!:)

My 8 and 7 year old sons were both late in getting teeth and losing them. Nathan had to have two teeth pulled last year b/c his new teeth were coming in but the old weren't leaving. He just lost another one naturally, though and another is loose (the ones next to the top front).

Ben doesn't even have a loose tooth! He just finished getting ONE of his 6 year molars in.

My three older dc were all seven or eight before they lost their first tooth. My youngest is six and nothing is even wiggling.

My oldest was fourteen months old before she even got her first baby tooth. She talked fairly well, but nary a tooth in her head:lol:

The dentists have said it appears to be genetic and not an issue.

HTH,

Melissa

My youngest was getting IN all her teeth except for the bottom left to the left of the 2 middle teeth. I was concerned because she had molars first. I asked the dentist about it and he said she was just growing differently and that was fine. He also told me that he could see a bud under the surface (although not right on the surface) so there was a tooth there. Then he finished with, and if there weren't a tooth there there isn't much to do about it so there is no need to worry... I took from that that as long as the teeth aren't hurting and are kept clean etc, then there isn't a need to worry on the time schedules etc.

FWIW my 6 1/2 yr old doesn't even have a loose tooth yet although can't wait.