Menu

Need help picking math curriculum for 1st and 2nd grade

DaisyMay

First a little background:

I've homeschooled my children for the past 10 years and will be going back to teaching in the fall. I'll be teaching in a private school that is currently 5th-12th but will be adding 1st-4th in Sept. I'll be teaching a 1st/2nd grade combo class with a maximum of 15 children.

Because it's a new program, we are designing the curriculum from the ground up. All the other subjects have been pretty easy to map out and determine materials, but math has been tough!

We've looked at several different programs but none seem to be a great fit for what we hope to accomplish. Our goals are to provide a rigorous well-rounded math education which has a good mix of spiral and mastery. We want lots of hands-on and developmentally appropriate games and activities. I'll be utilizing math work stations in which the students work in pairs and groups while I work with small groups.

Two curriculum's that we've considered are EnVision and Math in Focus. EnVision seems confusing and disjointed. I like Math in Focus better, but leadership looked at it previously and didn't like it. They're willing to reconsider, though. Bob Jones and Abeka are out. Singapore is a posibility, but I've never taught it. I like the looks of Right Start and may suggest that at our next meeting. What else would be good? I could try to just teach from a scope and sequence, but would rather have a book for guidance and to help keep me on track.

Obviously the math needs for the school are different than they would be for a homeschool, but my feeling is that homeschoolers have been much more successful than public schools. I'd rather emulate what works than what doesn't. :laugh:

So does anyone have some wonderful math wisdom to share? I would love to hear about curriculums that we should look at further. Any help is much appreciated!!

Thanks!

Gayle

I wonder how Miquon would work? The nice thing about it, based on a read-through of The First Grade Diary, is that it enables children to work a different levels. The manipulatives are fairly simple (c-rods, "flats", number line). I haven't used it in a group setting, but it's hands-on, discovery-based, and effective.

Singapore would have lots of teacher support in the guides. It's definitely rigorous, and moves from concrete (with manipulatives) to pictorial to abstract.

MEP is designed for a classroom setting, I believe, and has been very effectively used that way. It would be worth looking into. It's free to download, so your expenses would be in printing and binding and then some manipulatives.

I wonder how Miquon would work? The nice thing about it, based on a read-through of The First Grade Diary, is that it enables children to work a different levels. The manipulatives are fairly simple (c-rods, "flats", number line). I haven't used it in a group setting, but it's hands-on, discovery-based, and effective.

Singapore would have lots of teacher support in the guides. It's definitely rigorous, and moves from concrete (with manipulatives) to pictorial to abstract.

MEP is designed for a classroom setting, I believe, and has been very effectively used that way. It would be worth looking into. It's free to download, so your expenses would be in printing and binding and then some manipulatives.

Thank you for those suggestions. I've never really looked at Miquon before. Very intriguing. The scope and sequence doesn't show place value or word problems being covered in 1st or 2nd. Do you know if that's the case? MEP looks interesting, too. I'll have to really dig around that site. Many thanks for your thoughtful response. I'd love to hear more about these programs and others, too. :001_smile: Gayle (who sure wishes she could make paragraph breaks! I'll have to use Firefox next time!!)

Thank you for those suggestions. I've never really looked at Miquon before. Very intriguing. The scope and sequence doesn't show place value or word problems being covered in 1st or 2nd. Do you know if that's the case? MEP looks interesting, too. I'll have to really dig around that site. Many thanks for your thoughtful response. I'd love to hear more about these programs and others, too. :001_smile: Gayle (who sure wishes she could make paragraph breaks! I'll have to use Firefox next time!!)

Miquon would probably need extra word problems thrown in. I've used Singapore's Process Skills in Problem Solving (more as an instructor's guide) and its Challenging Word Problems to fill that need. As for place value ... hmmm ... I think it develops a deep understanding of place value in Gr. 1 (Red & Orange) and the first half of Gr. 2 (Blue), and then gives more formal language for it in the second half of Gr. 2. But ... with Miquon, students may be moving ahead in areas of interest, and you can always start a "thread" early if it suits them. If it's something you're interested in, I'd recommend getting First Grade Diary, which is a record of a year of using Miquon with Gr. 1.

If you're interested in MEP, you can watch a video of the program on which it's based in action in a classroom.

aside of MEP that is a spiral aproach you have Math-u-see which is a mastery program.

Math in focus is another name for the americanized (pretty book and color) of Singapore Math. the PS are fascinated by it because of all it's bells and whistles, however it is very intense for non-involved parents. so the success of your class is not only dependant on your students but parents too. if I am not mistaken Singapore versions are mastery programs, so unless they say different so is Math u see. which is sooo $$ anyway.

Math you see has a very good support for schools and a staff developement class to learn how to implement the program. if you do use it I suggest you ask parents to buy a specific coloring pencil set that matches their rod colors. (my kids had hard time finding matching the teals and tans, ask them they wi' tell you what brand)

MEP is free, they have printed books you can order or you can print. adjust a little the money language and that's it. As I said it is spiral program. for lower grades MEP would be nice teaching with an abaccus (sp)

We have had success in our house with Math Mammoth and McRuffy math. McRuffy already has the hands-on activities and games built in, but with Math Mammoth I add in videos from Rosie at Education Unboxed and I also use Right Start games. I would say MM would be a more conceptual type of math and McRuffy would be more of a traditional approach.

I haven't used Math-U-See, but I understand that it has a non-standard sequence that would need to be followed for several grades. I suspect it would raise more parental concerns because of its unusual progression. It wouldn't be an option for me if I were only considering Gr 1 & 2.

Math Mammoth is another strong program, but I wonder how it would play in a classroom? It is written to the student -- would that make it easier or harder for a teacher in a group setting?

When I reflect on my time teaching in a small classroom many years ago, I think that parental buy-in will be important. Of the programs I've used here, Singapore would probably be the easiest for parents to feel confident in. It "looks" like a typical math program, has good reviews for parents who Google that sort of thing, and has a wealth of resources for the teacher (tests, problem solving books, extra practice books, instructor's guides). Miquon and MEP would probably require more explaining about the methodology for some parents to buy in.

Mcruffy might be a good fit. It is written by a public school teacher. Lessons are short, effective, lots of games and hands on. It is very affordable and easy to teach as well just open and go.You can check it out at Mcruffy.com.

When I reflect on my time teaching in a small classroom many years ago, I think that parental buy-in will be important. Of the programs I've used here, Singapore would probably be the easiest for parents to feel confident in. It "looks" like a typical math program, has good reviews for parents who Google that sort of thing, and has a wealth of resources for the teacher (tests, problem solving books, extra practice books, instructor's guides). Miquon and MEP would probably require more explaining about the methodology for some parents to buy in.

This.

I would lean towards the combination many parents here use: Singapore and Miqon. I'd get Liping Ma's book for yourself and the grades 1/2 HIGs (or maybe Teacher Manuals?--they cost more but are designed for classroom use) and start educating yourself. If you like math and have homeschooled for 10 years you can probably figure out how to teach Singapore but it is a little different.

My only complaint with Singapore is that it doesn't use C-rods. I'd at least watch a lot of Education Unboxed and maybe try to incorporate a Miquon-style math lab day each week. Or, depending on how much time you have for math, split your time between formal Singapore instruction and some math lab time.

But if you can only pick one, I'd do Singapore.

about C-rods. they can be incorporated into singapore the way Math-u-see uses them. For example this can be a station in your classroom. when teaching addition have the rods from 10 to 1 as a piramide laying down or on top of each other. so you add by 1s, you get your one piece and follow the worksheet with pictures no numbers, and look at what happens when you add one to the 2 let's say. then it becomes the same size as the 3 bar there you have a pictorial manipulative 'number BOND' which is big in Singapore. I woyld get a primer and an alpha workbook and a set of manipulatives for your manipulatives station on the 1st -2nd grade then the picture of the rods are already to size matching the MUS rods in the page and you don't have to make Crods worksheets to match size.

about C-rods. they can be incorporated into singapore the way Math-u-see uses them. For example this can be a station in your classroom. when teaching addition have the rods from 10 to 1 as a piramide laying down or on top of each other. so you add by 1s, you get your one piece and follow the worksheet with pictures no numbers, and look at what happens when you add one to the 2 let's say. then it becomes the same size as the 3 bar there you have a pictorial manipulative 'number BOND' which is big in Singapore. I woyld get a primer and an alpha workbook and a set of manipulatives for your manipulatives station on the 1st -2nd grade then the picture of the rods are already to size matching the MUS rods in the page and you don't have to make Crods worksheets to match size.

Oh, yes, you can certainly easily use c-rods to teach with Singapore and we often do.

I'll be teaching a 1st/2nd grade combo class with a maximum of 15 children.

We've looked at several different programs but none seem to be a great fit for what we hope to accomplish. Our goals are to provide a rigorous well-rounded math education which has a good mix of spiral and mastery. We want lots of hands-on and developmentally appropriate games and activities. I'll be utilizing math work stations in which the students work in pairs and groups while I work with small groups.

My personal favorite resources for grades 1-2 are Simply Charlotte Mason Mathematics and Copywork from How to Tutor, but if I was going to teach a class, I'd probably pull out my Professor B books again and reread these free African Waldorfmath pdfs.

I haven't see them, but maybe Kitchen Table math might be good for the work stations. Also I like How is My _ Grader Doing in School? series. It's a lot of unschooling ideas for the 3Rs (not to be confused with the Needs to Know series); some of the ideas might appeal to you. Just the purple book for the AL Abacus might work for work stations.

I have pretty controversially narrow and non rigorous opinions about math, though, so.... I don't know if any of my favorites are at all applicable. I have a real problem with the current wide and advanced scope and sequences.

Good luck!

I think most of these are home school problems. Miquon would be very hard to implement unless you had a very progressive-minded group of parents, although it could work for math stations.

If MiF is out, I'd go with Singapore or Saxon. They are widely liked by parents and they have good results in regular classrooms. Which one depends on how much teaching training and prep you want to do. Singapore requires a heck of a lot. Saxon does not.

We use enVision (via my son attending a public school). I am very familiar with it. It would not be my choice. While it is not a horrible program, your perception that it is "disjointed" is a reasonably fair one. It does have some good elements (borrowed freely from Singapore-like programs) but lacks perspective of what is vital, and what is tangential. You get the one-thing-one-day and one-thing-the-next situation that plagues many public school texts.

If it was my choice, I would use Primary Mathematics (Singapore), which is what we use at home, or if you have reasons to prefer it, Math-in-Focus (a program I have no first hand experience with).

As others have mentioned, if you could bring in elements of Miquon into the math-mix, it would be extremely valuable, as Miquon ( and C Rods) provide the "concrete" hands-on learning that rounds out PM, and helps make the concepts easily understood by young minds. The Miquon teaching materials are top-notch IMO.

You could also borrow many good ideas from MEP.

Miquon, Singapore, and MEP are very synergistic programs.

I'd also second (or third) reading Liping Ma.

Best wishes,

Bill

What is the rest of the school using?

Grades 3-4 are going with EnVision. Grades 5-6 are already using that, but grades 7-8 use something different. I think the reasoning behind that is that EnVision is good for the middle grades but not for the early or late grades.

I appreciate all of the responses. There were a few programs that I've never heard of but will check out. McRuffy is new to me, but sounds interesting.

I love MUS Alpha for how they teach adding and subtracting. I might end up incorporating that, but not use it as the only thing.

I think Singapore might be the best choice for the various reasons mentioned. I think parent buy in would be a lot better with this. Miquin might be a good complement.

I'll have to get the Liping Ma book. I've not read it before, but it sounds very good.

Thank you again for all of the helpful responses! This is such a big decision and I want to make sure we investigate all options before deciding.

Gayle

Any of the Singapore-style math programs, Primary Mathematics, Math-in-Focus, or Math Mammoth, combined with whatever one could draw from Miquon (and MEP) would work very well if one needs to transition to enVision.

enVision is a "Singapore-light" type program. It is not as robust in fully developing the math-model as the other mentioned programs, but there is enough of it in enVision that those coming from PM would have no problems (and would endeed be very well prepared) where those who transitioned from a so-called "traditional" program might have problems.

The best case scenario would be you use something like PM, everyone sees how effective it is, and enVision gets replaced in the upper-grades. Even if that did not happen, students using PM would be more than ready for enVision.

Bill

Any of the Singapore-style math programs, Primary Mathematics, Math-in-Focus, or Math Mammoth, combined with whatever one could draw from Miquon (and MEP) would work very well if one needs to transition to enVision.

enVision is a "Singapore-light" type program. It is not as robust in fully developing the math-model as the other mentioned programs, but there is enough of it in enVision that those coming from PM would have no problems (and would endeed be very well prepared) where those who transitioned from a so-called "traditional" program might have problems.

The best case scenario would be you use something like PM, everyone sees how effective it is, and enVision gets replaced in the upper-grades. Even if that did not happen, students using PM would be more than ready for enVision.

Bill

Meshing with the upper grades is a very good point. When I was first given EnVision to look at, I really wanted to like it for the sake of continuity. Once I looked through the program, though, I knew it was not a good choice. Whatever we end up picking we want to make sure the students can transition well to the third grade curriculum.

I do think that Singapore Primary Math is probably our best bet, along with various other supplements like the C-rods. We're meeting about the decision on Thursday. Hopefully we'll all like Singapore!

Thanks so much!

Gayle

Our planning meeting was today so I just wanted to give an update about what we chose. I'm very happy to say that we're going with Singapore Primary Math! I think it was a good choice and I'm excited to teach something proven to be effective. Thanks so much for everyone's help and insight! Gayle