Menu

I'd like to find 10 famous speeches to study next year. Any suggestion? Update! I have one more question.

I'm updating with a new question. :)

I've printed and mounted all but one speech. I'd really like to do an excerpt from Socrates' Apology. Can anyone suggest a specific section? If you can, I'd also love to know why.

Thanks again!

I also started researching speeches after you started this thread. My kids are almost finished memorizing the Gettysburg Address, and I am looking for what is next. I stumbled upon a website which lists its picks for the top 35 Greatest Speeches in History. Not everyone will agree with the 35 they chose (or like the website!--I am not familiar with the website, so don't ask me about it), but it does list most of the speeches mentioned on here. It gives a short background on the speech, a "worthy excerpt," and a link to the entire speech. Below is a link to the page which has an excerpt of Socrates' Apology. I can't verify if it is a "worthy excerpt" or not, but it is a suggestion for you. http://www.artofmanl...s-in-history/2/

I also started researching speeches after you started this thread. My kids are almost finished memorizing the Gettysburg Address, and I am looking for what is next. I stumbled upon a website which lists its picks for the top 35 Greatest Speeches in History. Not everyone will agree with the 35 they chose (or like the website!--I am not familiar with the website, so don't ask me about it), but it does list most of the speeches mentioned on here. It gives a short background on the speech, a "worthy excerpt," and a link to the entire speech. Below is a link to the page which has an excerpt of Socrates' Apology. I can't verify if it is a "worthy excerpt" or not, but it is a suggestion for you. http://www.artofmanl...s-in-history/2/

Ha! I also came across this site!

It looks kind of interesting. :)

Thanks for the link, I'm going to check it out right now.

The excerpt from the apology I am using is from the book working memory. I don't want to screw up and infringe on copyright, so does anyone know, if I would be doing so sharing that excerpt? I mean it is a bit taken from another source and presented in the book as what to work on. Is it copy write to share that bit? If not I will share it, if so then I will tell you where to look in the apology :)