Menu

Out of town resume question

KathyBC

My teen is planning on finding a summer job in the big city. How should we set up his resume - with our address or his aunt's? With our phone number or hers? Would an explanatory cover letter or a preliminary phone call to the relevant manager be appropriate?

Possibly include both Permanent and Temporary contact information, with the dates the Temporary data applies. What kind of a job is your DC looking for? That would impact your question about whether or not to send a Cover Letter, try to contact the Hiring Manager, etc. Is this a seasonal opening?

When I was hiring for my uncle's restaurant, we were looking for a local address on the application. We always got permanent address information for those who were actually hired, once they filled out their tax paperwork. Our target pool was the high school and college crowd.

He is looking for a blue-collar seasonal job: hardware store - stocking shelves is his first choice, construction site clean-up, landscaping crew, that kind of thing. According to my sister, many places can't find enough students to fill seasonal jobs. He's heading out as soon as p.s. lets out. I thought he could wait until he got there and use his aunt's information; he wants to get a jump start and maybe get something together before he goes.

I appreciate all the responses.