Menu

Integrating K5 into MFW ECC?

stacyh270

We will begin homeschooling this fall with my DS (5th grade) and twin DD (K5's). I have purchased MFW ECC for my son but I am debating what to do about my daughters. For the sake of time and ease, I'd like for them to participate in ECC as much as possible in lieu of purchasing the MFW K curriculum but I'm trying to figure out how this will/can work.

Currently, the idea that I have is to do more of a unit study/lapbook approach with the girls in which we frequently cover topics that relate to DS's curriculum (rainforests for Brazil, Oceans for Japan, "The Story of Ping" for China, etc.). I'd fill in other weeks with other K topics I'd like to cover (i.e., "Creation", "Human Body", "Thanksgiving", etc.) in which I draw inspiration from literature, etc. I'd also be using free units/lapbooks found online :)

Of course, I'd combine this with phonics and math for their level.

I guess, all in all, I'd like to be a little more relaxed/CMish for K with my girls but more classical with my son; however, since I am not experienced in all this, am I biting off more that I can chew? Also, what phonics program do you prefer and why?

TIA!