Menu

If you have started WWE or given placement test....

Another Lynn

After reading WWE, I thought my new 4th grader could handle level 4. But to make my life easier I thought we would breeze through all the sample weeks for level 3 (it would buy me a few weeks before coming up with my own, right?) So today we did Yr. 3 week 1 day 2 - dictation. The dictation passage was too long for him to do all at once. Even split in half, it didn't go as easily as I had hoped.

So, do I put him in level 4, but approach dictation more gradually? Or do I back up to level 3? Or even all the way to level 2? (at least then I could use the workbook! and maybe just go through it double speed?) (BTW, we were doing 1 sentence dictation at the end of last school year, but he hasn't had dictation practice for a month or two? so I think it seemed foreign to him.)

Anyone else think their child is okay with narration but "behind" on dictation?

Any thoughts about placement or adjusting levels are welcome!!

Read page 25, toward the bottom. SWB says it is better to start too-simple adn move quickly than to begin with skills that are more difficult.

This is what I plan to do with my younger ds. I'm starting him at the very beginning and going faster where we can.

i would do the assessment for level 3. There are guidelines to help in determining if passed. IF not, do the assessment for level 2. I gave DS the year 1 assessment. I think the guideline was no more than 1 error in the copy work and only reminders to give complete sentences but no aid in coming up w/ the sentence to consider mastery and moving on to the next level.

Thank you both for your sound advice!

Penny, I re-read the section starting on page 25 and that was so helpful. The student she described who can tell you fluently what he wants to write but can't remember it sounded a lot like my ds. She said he need not go back to copywork, but should begin with dictation in year 2. This makes a lot of sense to me for ds.

Thanks!

Anyone else think their child is okay with narration but "behind" on dictation?

Any thoughts about placement or adjusting levels are welcome!!

Me! I didn't realize how much we'd abandoned dictation until I did the placement tests for my ds, who will also be starting 4th grade in a few weeks. He did fantastic with the narration, but bombed the dictation. I am going to purchase the level 2 workbook when it is available and work through the dictation at that level.

Just wanted you to know that you're not alone.

That is one of the reasons I decided to go with the book instead of one of the workbooks (for someone who needed to choose) -so I could have the placement tests to see where he is.

I haven't got my book yet- but it is on the way! I cant wait to read it.

I've got a 4th grader who has had very little dictation, etc. I started way back at year 1. A week of Year 1 is copywork, reading and comprehension, copywork, reading and comprehension. I do a week's worth of work in one day. By the end of 36 days (October or so) we will have completed a year's worth of work. I keep the copywork sentences at dd's level. Instead of something like, "The boy rode a blue bike." dd's copywork is along the lines of, '"That is the banquet hall you're looking at now - very old that is."'

I'm using the same book we are currently reading also. It helps with regular reading comprehension to go over some of the same twice a day. Currently we are using The Wind and the Willows. We will finish the book before 36 days is up. I'll just move on to the next book and take passages from there.

I plan to work the same way through Year 2 and possibly Year 3 before this school year is done.

My 4th grader is great at giving narrations and writing them out but we have slacked off in the dictation dep't. I just ordered WWE and am hoping to get it within the next two weeks. I was hoping to start at the 4th grade level but after reading everyone's posts, I guess we will be starting further back.