Menu

7 grade and up - deciding what to do for history

faiths13

I am trying to decide where to go in history for my 7th grader this fall. We have been hs'ing for 3 yrs and we started with ancients in 4th, then middle ages and a 1/2 year of early modern. I want to keep in mind that he will need to do US, world and government in high school. I was thinking about doing US history, but then I have no idea what I would do for 8th. Also, he has to redo US in high school. Then I was thinking maybe I should do ancients and middle ages again to give a more in depth look since we wont be doing those in high school. I am also trying to keep in mind that my oldest will be going into 9th and maybe I can combine then for history over the next few years. Maybe not though... I just want to have a plan laid out so I dont have to try to figure out what direction to take every year, lol. And I thought it would be good to get a balanced education of history. Then again, I just have no idea!

My younger dd is heading into 7th this year. We've kind of, loosely, without hitting modern history, stuck to the 4 year history cycle :lol: As I began planning for next year, I thought about how my older dd's high school years looked and where I would do things differently. So I kind of started at the end (12th grade) and worked my way backwards. For me, that meant that I wanted my younger dd to have a thorough government course her senior year. I wanted her to have a good overview of Ancients to Modern times, kind of like a condensed version of the 4 year cycle. I have Notgrass history already that I didn't use completely with my older dd. That is broken up into two years, so that fit perfect for 10th and 11th. That left me 3 years to finish up the Mystery of History cycle, vol 2-4.

So all of that rambling to say that I looked at where I wanted to be in 12th and worked my way back from there. I'm actually doing that with science as well. Seeing where I want her to be has helped me figure out where to start.

Keeping in mind that you can tweak what you name history on the high school transcript--

I IWY, I'd take seventh grade and go ahead with a light early mod to finish it, say six weeks or so, then do Modern for the rest of the year. I don't like doing only one year of World History in high school--way too rushed for my taste. I'd do Ancients, Med/Ren, then Early Mod with an emphasis on US (including reading some of the foundational documents), finishing 12th with Mods and a semester of economics or personal finance as an elective. You can do more readings in comparative government and assign some more writing to cover a govt course while you do the Mod history (so splitting govt between early mods and mods years to make either a semester or a year long course). So much of the Mod year talks about the US, that I think it's quite simple to fulfill Am Hist requirements this way. IIRC, I called it something like 20th Century American History in A World Context.

Oops--just saw you are doing seventh. I would finish Early Mods and start Mods, and then either take all of eighth to do the rest of Mods at a slower pace, or add more to it (maybe more history of a fun or personally interesting area, such as scientific inventions, or geneology, or biographies of interesting folks). Or, finish Mods first semester of eighth and don't do anymore history that year, instead concentrating on art, music, building something, lessons of some sort--whatever might be of interest.

Then I'd do the four year cycle with embedded govt and emphasis on US history, as described above.

Our plan looks like this:

7th -- Ancients to Middle Agegs

8th -- Renaissance to Modern Times

9th -- Modern World History

10th -- Western Civilization

11th -- AP-Level US History

12th -- AP-Level US Gov't/Civics and Economics