Menu

handling "moving ahead"

mysticmomma

At the pace we are moving, my oldest dd (9 and technically a 3rd grader according to the county) will finish 3rd grade over the summer. My ds is moving a little slower, but is still completing about a year and a half each year. We do school year round, however the county only accepts work done during the official school year. They also require all work to be dated and show the dates during the official school year. The way we set up our curriculum, I staple and date each weeks assignments together for each subject. We finished 2013 about a month ago, and are now working on 2014 work. I was considering not changing the dates we already put up on the sheets and log, which would allow us to have the portfolio as required, but also allow us to continue moving forward and slow down/explore if needed. Part of me feels iffy about this... am I falsifying records? The other part of me feels like I want my kids to get the "credit" for the work they are doing. Our state doesn't do "skips" for homeschoolers or even for public schooled kids. Thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand your requirements, so I apologize in advance if this makes no sense. :) I would just count what gets done during the county's school year for your portfolio. Then I would go off the grid until the next year starts. Continue school in whatever manner works in your home, but only keep records for Sep - May.

Nothing. But if they ever end up in ps they will be placed in their grade by age, not academic ability/level. Additionally my concern is them not getting credit for work done from may to september, so in highschool when there are credits to count, I'm worried things won't add up.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean but I'm glad we are in CA where we don't have to worry about keeping a portfolio or anything like that. I would say let her go at her own pace. Every school is different even in public schools and some are ahead of others. My dd is 8 and going into 5th grade. She was skipped in private school though so not sure how public would react to that. We dont plan on putting her in public. My thoughts are don't count the work done in the summer as its not during the school calendar year.

Nothing. But if they ever end up in ps they will be placed in their grade by age, not academic ability/level. Additionally my concern is them not getting credit for work done from may to september, so in highschool when there are credits to count, I'm worried things won't add up.

I would worry about high school closer to high school age.

Just keep going at their level and present the work they've done. If they're working ahead, that should be ok. They've completed their age-grade work, so no big deal, right? I'd worry about putting them back in school only if/when that happens. My oldest works well above grade level. Putting him back in school at his current grade level would leave him quite bored, BUT... that's the entire reason I pulled him out of school in the first place! If he ever has to go back to school, we'll deal with it then. I'm not borrowing trouble in the meantime. If I have no plans to send him to school this coming year (and I don't), he can continue working at his pace. In high school, we'll make sure appropriate credits are done at the appropriate time. I have no plans to graduate him early. He'll just keep working at high school or college level until he finishes his "12th grade" school year, at which point he should have all his credits done. We don't have to report anything to the state, but I imagine by high school age, he might need a summer break to rest his brain and do the rest of his work in the regular school year. Our high school schedule may not look anything like our elementary school schedule. For now, schooling year round works very well. In high school, it may not. Who knows. I'm not worrying about it when we just finished 3rd grade though. :)