Menu

book suggestions for my son PLEASE 6 yrs with high reading level

My son seems to be very picky. He is into space and the human body right now. He read a little of Paddington but wasn't that interested. He loved the Cricket in Time Square (I read it) but I couldn't get him into The Whipping Boy (I don't know why). He read Henry Huggins to himself and loved it as well as all the other Henry books. He is 1/2 through Ramona Age 8 but it is not really as exciting to him. He loved Fantastic Mr. Fox and Read all of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory yesterday. He has read most of Frindle but it hasn't been that exciting to him, although he loves the idea of Frindle just not the writing (which quite frankly I considered it rather dry and wordy and rambling and not particularly well written). He was in and out of enjoying listening to me read The Indian in the Cupboard. I tried to get him to read The Courage of Sarah Noble- no go. He liked one of the Ralph Mouse books (can't remember which one) and devoured it but hasn't been into the others. He of course likes Magic School Bus (I think they are a bit beneath his abilities though and the writing isn't that great) and Magic Treehouse a few months ago. What do I check out for this monkey to read! One of my biggest problems is balancing age 6 interests with higher reading levels. He is also one who does not want to be particularly challenged so it needs to seem easy even if it is stretching him just a little.

he's a pilot in one, goes camping in another, goes to Florida in another. The writing is pretty good too.

There is the Box Car Children a little higher reading level than Magic Treehouse.

The Sign of the Beaver, Caddie Woodland, and Shiloh are a bit harder, but good boy books.

Homer Price, James and the Giant Peach, Redwall. . .

that's all I can think of.

How about some of the other Roald Dahl books?

I gave him the BFG today. I have been a little weary of giving him more though because I remember The Witches from when I was almost 7 and my teacher read it outloud in class (I was in a 2nd 3rd combo). I was SO scared I had to go into the other room and color. I later read it on my own and still found it very scary. I was not one to scare easily. And, since then, I have only been apt to give him ones I remember reading as a child and that wasn't very many of them. Are any of the others so horribly scary?

he's a pilot in one, goes camping in another, goes to Florida in another. The writing is pretty good too.

There is the Box Car Children a little higher reading level than Magic Treehouse.

The Sign of the Beaver, Caddie Woodland, and Shiloh are a bit harder, but good boy books.

Homer Price, James and the Giant Peach, Redwall. . .

that's all I can think of.

Thank you. He loved Homer Price. He really didn't like Box Car Children (I tried to read it outloud to him and he got board). I will have to try the Sign of the Beaver. Tell me about Redwall.

Thank you.

I have a 6 year old reading well above grade-level and a 7 year old just a bit above, here are some favorites here:

E. Nesbit books (any and all!)

Elizabeth Enright books (Gone Away Lake, The Saturdays)

Eleanor Estes books (Ginger Pye, Pinky Pye, The Moffats)

Edward Eager (Half-Magic, Knight's Castle)

(Wow, lots of E names)

The Chronicles of Narnia

Ralph S. Mouse books

Encyclopedia Brown series

Books by Robert Clyde Bulla

Ds just read "The Enormous Egg" and loved it (I can't remember the author).

Jami

Here's what we did for our 6yo back then...

We bought colorful "encyclopedia-like" books in subjects he was interested. So he could flip through and read things that caught his eye.

Come Learn With Me Books (Lickle Publishing/Bank Street College of Education) www.licklepublishing.com

A Walk in the Desert (other titles too) Lerner Publishing Group www.lernerbooks.comb

My First Britannica Series (all my kiddos love looking through these)

The Wonders of Creation Books (many different topics)

Other places to look for books that are a bit more challenging, but still colorful... Step Into Reading Books (stepintoreading.com) Random House publishes this series. Level 4+

A series that your son might like is relatively new, called Time Spies (Candice Ransom is the author). Definitely a chapter book, not too many pictures. Essentially, the children travel through time to "spy" on history. One of the new ones expected out has a character named after my mom :D)

Boxcar Children is a popular series... perhaps some Hardy Boy?

Sorry, my ideas for a 6yo boy -- high reading level are running low. Mine is now nearly 9, and I have a whole new problem :tongue_smilie: My current 6yo is a girl, and I'm SURE he'd have no interest in the books she's reading :D

My ds just turned 7 and is a huge reader, reading well above his level. His interests seem similar to some of things yours has enjoyed.

Here are some he has liked:

Dahl's books (BFG, Matilda, Danny the Champion of the World, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Witches, George's Marvelous Medicine)

Enright (The Saturdays)

Many of the Great Illustrated Classics -- we will go to the used bookstore and he chooses the ones that sound good to him

My Side of the Mountain books

My Father's Dragon series

My nearly 6dd doesn't read but listens and comprehends at a very high level. Among her favorites have been:

* All of the Melendy books by Elizabeth Enright

* James and the Giant Peach

* The Mouse and the Motorcycle

* All E.B. White, but especially Trumpet of the Swan

* All of the Narnia books, but especially Voyage of the Dawn Treader and The Silver Chair

* The Tale of Desperaux and The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

* Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle books

* Otto of the Silver Hand and Men of Iron

* Little Pilgrim's Progress

* The Among the ____ People books of Pierson (night/farmyard/meadow/pond/forest animal books)

* Mr. Popper's Penguins

* Thornton Burgess books

* Pippi Longstocking books

* Mary Poppins

* Pinocchio (which I personally didn't care for, to be honest)

* Five Little Peppers and How They Grew

* The Penderwicks

* The Door in the Wall

* Bulla books, especially A Lion to Guard Us and Sword in the Tree

* The Secret Garden

* Alice in Wonderland

* Redwall

* The Betsy-Tacy books, but this might be a "girl thing"

* Black Ships Before Troy

* Homer Price and Centerburg Tales

* Our Island Story

* The Children's Homer

Here are few others that my youngest loved, in addition to those already listed. She also reads way above her grade level. It's getting increasingly interesting trying to find books that are not too grown-up, even for my little 24 yr-old/8 yr-old. :tongue_smilie:

The I Freddy series. The Poppy Series. Varjak Paw (but might be too scary for him?), The Schwa Was Here, and The Mysterious Benedict Society.