Menu

Trumpet Playing and Braces

Anyone here have a kiddo that plays the trumpet and wears braces? Does it hurt? Do you modify anything at all?

We saw an orthodontist last week, and DS requires braces to make his smile prettier. I asked the doc about braces and trumpet, and he told me that my son could quit playing..Really? .DS seriously cares about playing the trumpet in band. DH and I both support him continuing to play and exhaust resources and time to ensure he gets to practices and tutors and such.

Any thoughts? He's 13 yo and played for 3 years...Blessings and thank-you, h

I went through high school with braces as a pre-pro music student, although on woodwinds (so the lower jaw was more important than the upper). Be aware that playing a wind instrument, especially for many hours a day/week can prolong the need for braces (because you're putting a significant amount of pressure in the opposite direction in some cases-in my case, I had an overbite, and guess what single reed woodwinds really, really tend to encourage?)

And I agree with Margaret-it will change his embouchure slightly over time. Having said that, this isn't necessarily a bad thing-one thing that many middle/high school players do is pick up a very "fixed" embouchure-and then have trouble when they NEED to learn to adjust it for different techniques (or to double other instruments) later. With braces, you simply can't do that-you have to adjust frequently. I played saxophone (soprano, alto and tenor), clarinet(Eb,Bb, bass), flute, and eventually bassoon with braces-and then without-and I suspect that one reason why I was able to adjust to playing multiple instruments with almost, but not quite the same embouchure was because I'd had several years of having to adjust monthly or sometimes weekly.

Oh-another thing-when you get to the retainer stage, invest in an extra case for it to go in the instrument case-and if there's not a space to keep that retainer case there full-time, invest in a gig bag or case cover that has the pocket. You really, really, REALLY want to drill putting the retainer in it's case when you get the instrument out and putting it back in when you put the instrument back. Otherwise, the sucker's going to get left and lost-I can almost guarantee it. We always found three or four of the gross things in the warm up rooms when cleaning up after things like youth orchestra auditions, and I remember that there were more than a few times we were on our way away from a band event in high school only to have someone announce that they'd lost their retainer.

I went through high school with braces as a pre-pro music student, although on woodwinds (so the lower jaw was more important than the upper). Be aware that playing a wind instrument, especially for many hours a day/week can prolong the need for braces (because you're putting a significant amount of pressure in the opposite direction in some cases-in my case, I had an overbite, and guess what single reed woodwinds really, really tend to encourage?)

And I agree with Margaret-it will change his embouchure slightly over time. Having said that, this isn't necessarily a bad thing-one thing that many middle/high school players do is pick up a very "fixed" embouchure-and then have trouble when they NEED to learn to adjust it for different techniques (or to double other instruments) later. With braces, you simply can't do that-you have to adjust frequently. I played saxophone (soprano, alto and tenor), clarinet(Eb,Bb, bass), flute, and eventually bassoon with braces-and then without-and I suspect that one reason why I was able to adjust to playing multiple instruments with almost, but not quite the same embouchure was because I'd had several years of having to adjust monthly or sometimes weekly.

Oh-another thing-when you get to the retainer stage, invest in an extra case for it to go in the instrument case-and if there's not a space to keep that retainer case there full-time, invest in a gig bag or case cover that has the pocket. You really, really, REALLY want to drill putting the retainer in it's case when you get the instrument out and putting it back in when you put the instrument back. Otherwise, the sucker's going to get left and lost-I can almost guarantee it. We always found three or four of the gross things in the warm up rooms when cleaning up after things like youth orchestra auditions, and I remember that there were more than a few times we were on our way away from a band event in high school only to have someone announce that they'd lost their retainer.

EEW...and thank-you...