Menu

Grades? Records? Sample work?

Okay i'm not even sure this is where to post this question, but here goes:

We are a homeschooling family living in California, and we did Kindergarten this last year. I did not have to legally "declare" us as being a homeschool until this year (when he turns 6). Now that i have to do it this year, i'm super nervous, lol.

I know the official form i need to file, so that isn't the issue. My question is about grades and keeping a record of our schoolwork. I know some people keep EVERYTHING, which i'm not against, but mostly i'm not sure how to approach the grades aspect. How do I do this? The only "tests" my son does is spelling tests. Everything else is just do the next thing type of thing. Do i even worry about it at this level? If not now, when?

He's also working ahead of "grade level" in most subjects, so there's that to be taken into consideration too. It feels like so much to keep track of!

Okay i'm not even sure this is where to post this question, but here goes:

We are a homeschooling family living in California, and we did Kindergarten this last year. I did not have to legally "declare" us as being a homeschool until this year (when he turns 6). Now that i have to do it this year, i'm super nervous, lol.

I know the official form i need to file, so that isn't the issue. My question is about grades and keeping a record of our schoolwork. I know some people keep EVERYTHING, which i'm not against, but mostly i'm not sure how to approach the grades aspect. How do I do this? The only "tests" my son does is spelling tests. Everything else is just do the next thing type of thing. Do i even worry about it at this level? If not now, when?

He's also working ahead of "grade level" in most subjects, so there's that to be taken into consideration too. It feels like so much to keep track of!

We started homeschooling in San Diego in 1982. :-)

For clarity, you will not be doing anything as a homeschool. You will be filing an affidavit with the state as a private school...a very, very small private school, lol, but a private school nonetheless.

The only records you need to keep (other than printing extra copies of the R-4 when you file in October) are the records you'll want to help you figure out where you've been and where you want to go. You are not obligated in any way to show academic records to *anyone.*

As a private school, you're supposed to keep a record of when your student is absent--not when he is present, but when he is absent. (Hint: your dc will never, ever be absent.) If you go to donnayoung.org, you will find an attendance calendar for the 2013-14 school year. Print that and stick it in a folder somewhere. You'll never have to look at it again, but at least you'll have it. :-)

In that same folder, you could keep your dc's immunization records and a *photocopy* of his birth certificate. If at some point you decide to enroll him in school, the school will want those, and it will just be easier all around if you already have that ready.

You do not need to keep grades. You do not need to test. Just do the next thing. You'll be fine. :-)

Oh, and when you file your affidavit, you'll have one (1) student in first grade. Don't get muddled about what "grade" he is "in" because of where he is working academically. It doesn't matter for the sake of the affidavit.