Menu

My crock pot just died, and I knew the Hive would be the place to come...

HSMom2One

We've had it so many years that I'm totally out of the loop on what to look for next since there are more on the market than there used to be. I really need to get this wrapped up by fall when I start back to work.

Here are some questions I have:

• What kind of crock pot do you own/recommend?

• How many sizes do you own and what do you use them for?

• Do you have a favorite crock pot/slow cooker website to recommend?

Thanks in advance for anything you may want to share.

Blessings,

Lucinda

I have completely given up using Rival's Crockpots. They cook too hot (I'm talking from completely frozen b/s chicken breast to overcooked dry stuff in 4 hours on low). I have three of them in varying sizes that sit in the attic. I LOVE my Hamilton Beach ones though. I have the one pictured here (I've used the probe only once and decided it was useless) and a 5qt cheaper version (not programmable). These are what crockpots are supposed to cook like.

I have completely given up using Rival's Crockpots. They cook too hot (I'm talking from completely frozen b/s chicken breast to overcooked dry stuff in 4 hours on low). I have three of them in varying sizes that sit in the attic. I LOVE my Hamilton Beach ones though. I have the one pictured here (I've used the probe only once and decided it was useless) and a 5qt cheaper version (not programmable). These are what crockpots are supposed to cook like.

I hear you on that one. In fact, the one that just died was due to over-heating so much that as the crock cooled it cracked completely down the middle. Scarey!!

For a replacement, I really like the Hamilton Beach suggestion. They look awesome! We have a HB food processor and it's also great quality for a lower price.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments everyone.

Blessings,

Lucinda

You should know that newer ones must heat at hotter temperatures, especially the bigger oval ones. I had to purchase a new one a few months ago, and I really wish I had bought a 5 quart or smaller. I've burned some things in the new oval one.

This explains a lot then. I thought it was heating it faster and hotter (my pepper steak actually melted 2 nights ago).

Recently mine died after 20yrs of service. It was a very basic type and I wanted something similar. I knew I would not need all those fancy features that drive the price up. You need to decide what features are worth it to you. I got a simple oval pot (I actually prefer the deeper pot then the oval) with 4 settings: off, warm, low and high) it was $15 roughly.

I'm so torn now because I don't know what size to buy. We are a family of four, but I also like to use it for large batches of soups.

:lol:

Blessings,

Lucinda

If you like to make a lot of soup and freeze half or use as leftovers, I suggest the 6 quart. If you tend to cook smaller portions of meat, then maybe the 5qt. I can just barely get enough chili in the 5qt for my family of 6 to eat 1 meal.

I found a couple of really nice options in my mom's chef's catalogue, but I'm afraid they're way out of my budget. I liked them because they not only slow cook, but also can be used as a rice cooker and a steamer. One is 4 qt. and the other is 7, but they are each well over $100. Bummer! I guess I'll be shopping for a HB slow cooker in the 6 qt. range, but I'm not saying that as a complaint. I'm sure it will be fine.

Blessings,

Lucinda