Menu

It kills me!

Mom-ninja.

The woman who runs the karate dojo my boys attend send out weekly email newsletters.

These newsletters kill me. Kill me. I want to edit and send them back to her. The grammar and spelling mistakes drive me batty I tell ya.

Now, let me go ahead and make my disclaimer.

1) I have a dyslexic ds and dh and possibly my youngest is also dyslexic...he's showing signs. I very much know the daily struggle that dyslexics face. I do not criticize dyslexics for mistakes in grammar and or spelling. My dh knows how critical editing and proofreading are and we are teaching our ds the same. This woman is *not* dyslexic.

2) These newsletters are not informal types of communication. I do not care if some makes mistakes on forums (such as this one) or informal emails etc. These newsletters she sends out are supposed to be *professional* forms of communication.

3) She is a middle school teacher. She is not currently working in the classroom this year. She took the year off but she still has her valid teaching certificate. She teaches social studies. In my world I would imagine that a teacher would understand proper grammar and spelling, and at least have the skills to proofread and edit.

4) This woman has also been known to try and correct my grammar when I'm speaking to her. Her correction of my speech was actually incorrect. I find that comical.

So, that's my disclaimer just in case anyone wanted to turn this into a debate of how I'm not being fair to this woman. Nope. She just doesn't have good grammar, and it drives me crazy crazy crazy that she sends out her business newsletters with such errors.

I haven't saved the other newsletters but there's always something. Homophones and apostrophes seem to be a weak point for her. She's written their for there. She almost always kills kittens.

She tried to tell me that I was using "have/has" incorrectly as helping verbs. I said, "I have seen...." and she said I shouldn't use the word have in front of seen. I looked at her like this :huh: and told her it's not "I seen" to which she responded, "No, of course not. The correct way to say it is 'I've seen'." That's when I bust out laughing and asked her what the word "I've" stands for. She was perplexed for a minute and said it doesn't stand for anything. That's when I reminded her that "I've" is a contraction for "I have" and not really a word of its own. She said, "Wait, huh? Oh, yeah. I guess you're right. I just never think of contractions as two words."

I haven't saved the other newsletters but there's always something. Homophones and apostrophes seem to be a weak point for her. She's written their for there. She almost always kills kittens.

She tried to tell me that I was using "have/has" incorrectly as helping verbs. I said, "I have seen...." and she said I shouldn't use the word have in front of seen. I looked at her like this :huh: and told her it's not "I seen" to which she responded, "No, of course not. The correct way to say it is 'I've seen'." That's when I bust out laughing and asked her what the word "I've" stands for. She was perplexed for a minute and said it doesn't stand for anything. That's when I reminded her that "I've" is a contraction for "I have" and not really a word of its own. She said, "Wait, huh? Oh, yeah. I guess you're right. I just never think of contractions as two words."

:lol: Now that's funny right there. :lol:

I knew it had to be good! Thanks for providing us with jaw dropping, face palming gold! :)

considering how many times I've seen "you of" used in place of "you have" (apparently it's hard to spell "you've") - maybe she was their teacher? ds had a teacher accuse him of plagerism. the vocabulary used was above that of the average teen . . . after speaking with the teacher, I understood why she'd think his vocab was too advanced. this was a HIGH SCHOOL ENGLISH TEACHER. I wanted to send her back for remedial english. she did eventually apologize - after listening to ds actually speak all those words teens don't use (nor do some high school english teachers.). . . . I'm happy to say . . . he ended up with a different teacher that semester.

I can sympathize. Our last two interim karate instructors were meat heads with no writing skills whatsoever. We had the same issue with their newsletters. They would have ridiculous misspellings that most 4th graders wouldn't even make.

When we first moved to the Carolinas, dh thought we should give ps a try since I was unpacking and organizing the house, and we had a relatively new baby. Our younger dd began 5th grade. One assignment was to develop a personal timeline with photos and dates of important personal events and write an autobiography. The teacher stressed that the title should be creative, but bonus points would be received if the student could alter the title of a well known literary work and use the altered title for his or her autobiography.

Dd spent her early years with medical issues, having surgeries, and spending copious amounts of time in the children's hospital. However, she also had many healthy times when she did "normal" things. So, while she realized it wasn't really true to the original, she used the title "A Tale of Two (insert her name)s," and her GT teacher was perplexed. The teacher had never heard of Dickens' book. I thought that was strange. It wasn't that she hadn't read it. She had never heard of it. She was approximately 35. I don't know if that matters. It didn't to me. ;)

Ouch!

The part that's worst is that she teaches middle school.

No. The worse part is she is a dojo and doesn't know how to spell sensei. It makes her look like a hack who doesn't know her job.

Versus vs verses wouldn't be caught by spellcheck and I would hazard is a common error because most people don't spell versus, they just write "vs". Still sad to see, but not a big surprise.

Sigh.

That is priceless.

When we first moved to the Carolinas, dh thought we should give ps a try since I was unpacking and organizing the house, and we had a relatively new baby. Our younger dd began 5th grade. One assignment was to develop a personal timeline with photos and dates of important personal events and write an autobiography. The teacher stressed that the title should be creative, but bonus points would be received if the student could alter the title of a well known literary work and use the altered title for his or her autobiography.

Dd spent her early years with medical issues, having surgeries, and spending copious amounts of time in the children's hospital. However, she also had many healthy times when she did "normal" things. So, while she realized it wasn't really true to the original, she used the title "A Tale of Two (insert her name)s," and her GT teacher was perplexed. The teacher had never heard of Dickens' book. I thought that was strange. It wasn't that she hadn't read it. She had never heard of it. She was approximately 35. I don't know if that matters. It didn't to me. ;)

Oh wow. I wouldn't even know what to say to that.

Oh wow. I wouldn't even know what to say to that.

We didn't say much, because there had been other issues with all of our children that we had already unsuccessfully attempted to address. We did bring them back home.

Once we moved from North to South Carolina, our girls both attended an excellent high school. I don't want to give the impression that I am anti-ps in all circumstances, because I'm not. :)