Menu

Anyone use Primary Arts of Language - Writing?

allymom

I will have an older kindergarten age student this next year. We'll be starting AAR 1 soon and we loved the pre-level so much that I have no inclination to change to any other program. But I've been looking at the IEW stuff and thought it might be nice to add in the Primary Arts of Language Writing part of the program. I can't find too many reviews online, however, and thought maybe some of you could tell me if you like it or not. The samples look fantastic! Would it be overkill to do AAS 1 at the same time?

(I did not put this in the K forum since I thought people might be using this for 1st and 2nd grade as well)

We used PAL writing and I thought it was a great and gentle intro to IEW. They actually suggest pairing it with AAS, so it would not be overkill at all. My older 2 used it about a year ago and I will definitely use it again when my younger two are old enough for it:)

We use it and like it. Using AAS is part of the program. We skipped the letter formations though because we were already using HWOT. My kids were also already reading when we started it which is why we didn't use their reading program. My kids enjoy it and seem to retain it well.

We use it along with the writing. I usually make up my own sentences to copy, pulling from other subjects they are learning. For one of my children, it sonetimes moves roo slow in concepts but for the otherchild, its perfect! :) But I love PAL & I'm glad we have both!

PAL Writing is set up into three sections. Part A is letter formation, Part B is heavy on copywork, and Part C is the part that resembles the other IEW writing programs. I bought PAL for my DD (age 5) for the 3rd part and ended up using the first part with my 3 yr old (who is now almost 4). We all really like it. The 3rd part seems short (in terms of number of lessons) but each lesson takes a week to complete. The children are taught how to make key-word outlines using Aesops fables and short non-fiction texts, and are taught how to rewrite from those key-word outlines. It really is a gentle intro to IEW. We will be moving on to Bible Heroes in the fall. So if your older K already knows how to print letters, it shouldn't be a problem. You can skip along to Part B and C - we were already doing a lot of copywork through WWE so we skipped part B. And like others said, AAS is incorporated, but you can be on any level of AAS as the instructions say something to the effect of "Keep doing spelling 15 minutes per day."

I bought it when it first came out and completed Parts 2 and 3 with my dd (8yo then). We completed it in a matter of 4-5 months and it was great. I made some changes because of her age but it worked great. She then went right into SWI-A after.

I'm now working through it with dd7 who is also in AAS2. They are completely different programs and work well together. We, too, skipped Part 1 and are really skipping much of the handwriting portion in Part 2. I believe the best parts of the program are the Who-Which project in Part 2 and all of Part 3. It's a wonderful start to writing and intro to IEW. I wish I had had it for dd9 when she was in 1G.