Menu

Describe your requirements for 9th grade History and English

Please describe what you require for your kids in 9th grade in order to earn one credit in History and English. This is our first time with a rising ninth grader. We have plenty to read but what do you require in terms of written work and anything else?

This is what DD did in 9th grade to earn one history and one English credit (we teach history and English as an integrated course)

Textbook: a college history text. read and take notes on relevant chapters.

Major works of Literature studied: read and discuss

The Iliad ,The Odyssey, Histories (Herodotus)

Antigone, Oedipus Rex, Oedipus on Colonos (Sophocles)

Electra (Euripides)

Poetry Sappho

The Aeneid (Vergil), Metamorphoses (Ovid)

Trial and death of Socrates Plato

Supplementary reading:

A Day in Old Athens William S. Davis

Aristotle leads the way Joy Hakim

The Greek Treasure Irving Stone

Everyday things in Ancient Greece C. H. Quennell

The King must die Mary Renault

A Day in Old Rome William S. Davis

Famous men of Rome John Haaren

The buildings of Ancient Rome Helen and Richard Leacroft

She listened to 72 Audio lectures by the Teaching Company:

Each college level lecture is 30 minutes in length and taught by Prof. Elizabeth Vandiver

The Iliad (12 lectures), The Odyssey (12 lectures), The Aeneid (12 lectures)

Greek Tragedy (selected lectures), Classical Mythology (24 lectures)

Writing assignments: about 1 per month

essays on major works of literature

two history papers

oral presentation

Participated in National Mythology Exam

I have a 10th grader and an 8th grade doing US History I and American Literature together this fall. We have a ridiculous amount of reading along with more lectures and videos than we could ever get through. We will be having group discussions weekly, on Saturdays. For writing, I am requiring 30 formal pages from each. They can do 30 one-page papers, one 30-page paper or anything in-between, but the writing has to be done to my satisfaction. I am encouraging them to take good written notes as well, as their final grades will be based on their CLEP scores.

Just to throw out a different approach (not that it helps you or is even remotely what you want), I'm thinking about just letting dd pursue her own history interests this coming year and only scheduling the lit, maybe with a SL lit core. If we do the SL lit, it will include some writing. I did no writing in hs for 9th gr history, so the world will not end if she pursues it enjoyably and we don't. However we'll also probably do another National History Day project, which involves an over the top amount of research and writing. ;)

My 9th grade plans for next year include:

history: BJU World History vol 1

literature: Foresman Ancient World

grammar: AG Review/Reinforcement plus Easy Grammar 9

vocab: Word Roots

writing: Elements of Style

There will be writing assignments for history along the way. I will also be adding more literature to the history. We are also beginning Building Critical Thinking Skills Level 3: verbal.

• 8 months later...

Just to throw out a different approach (not that it helps you or is even remotely what you want), I'm thinking about just letting dd pursue her own history interests this coming year and only scheduling the lit, maybe with a SL lit core. If we do the SL lit, it will include some writing. I did no writing in hs for 9th gr history, so the world will not end if she pursues it enjoyably and we don't. However we'll also probably do another National History Day project, which involves an over the top amount of research and writing. http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/wink.gif

Elizabeth,

That is how history was done when I went to high school along with book tests! Lol! I was looking for a way to streamline history and literature but was scared I would screw things. Doing history and literature the way you described would allow me to concentrate on other areas dd15 is having trouble. This dd loves to read literature so I think trusting her to follow her own interest with some guidance will workout better.I noticed dd15 learned more history reading literature then looking up things on her own than with any history program I place in front of her so far. I on the other hand love to learn from history books rather than literature. So,I have to allow her to learn the way she learns.

Thanks for the idea.

Edit to add:

This is how I am doing History and English now:

History Odyssey level 3 includes some literature

Selected literature books

VFCR

Rod&Staff

Writing with Skill