Menu

Baseball ds needs new sport--any suggestions?

Cricket

My 15 yo ds has been ordered to take a three-month break from baseball by his trainer/physical therapist. He has some elbow/arm issues that need rest. So now what does he do? The PT's suggestion was soccer. My ds knows nothing about soccer and has never played any other sport other than taekwondo. Maybe that answers my own question. Martial arts could be an option. Can a 15 year old pick up a new sport? (Isn't it awful that 15 yo would be considered old?) Soccer would develop his speed and stamina. Any other ideas that would compliment baseball?

This may sound goofy, but what about kickball? We have kickball leagues around here.

Soccer might be tough, because by 15 most kids have been playing for 7-10 years. However, there may be an adult league he could play in. My oldest plays in an adult rec league during the summer. there are very different levels of competitors, from used to play for Chicago Fire but got injured to always wanted to play but mom never signed me up. You could also look for a five a side league. Those are fun, but great conditioning. My DH also plays in those leagues.

I am guessing swimming wouldn't give his arm the proper rest.

Running might work, but my boys find it boring after soccer.

I love swimming, but if he's got to rest his arm, swimming is likely problematic. Summer rec swimming is fun, so if I were in your position I'd take him to the pool and have him try. Then I'd ask the doc or PT and if it's all clear I'd go for that.

Otherwise, check with your local running club and/or running shoe store. Many running clubs run youth programs in the summer. My local affiliate of Road Runners has a program that goes through age 15 and a local running store chain picks up the older kids with a high school training program.

Run hills! Sprints, especially, lots and lots of sprints, will help him in baseball. Could he have a session with a running coach who could give him some ideas? Also, to keep up his core strength and flexibility, perhaps gym work or kick sets in the pool (swimming while holding a kick board in front of you) would help without requiring him to use his elbow. I've never done a kick set, so I don't know much about whether it also works the core, but I do know that to get anything out of the kick sets, he's going to to have to do a lot of them, not 4 laps he would do in summer league.