Menu

Question about British newspapers

Laurie4b

When I'm reading news online, I know which US news sites are reliable vs. tabloid. However, I don't know that about British news. Can someone fill me in about which ones are major legitimate ones and which ones are tabloid or heavily biased, etc? Sometimes one can tell from the articles of course, but sometimes not. I'd at least like to know if something sounds legit whether or not it's from a generally reliable source or generally questionable one. Thanks!

BBC - reliable

Guardian, Telegraph,The Sun - gossipy

I agree that the BBC is pretty reliable, although not a newspaper of course. I don't think that the Telegraph or The Guardian are very gossipy though. The Sun, News of the World are definitely not reliable and The Daily Mail is pretty gossipy in my opinion.

The Economist, the Financial Times, and the Guardian are very good.

The Telegraph and the Times (which has suffered under Murdoch) are mediocre-ish.

The Sun and Daily Mail are rubbish.

Bill

This would be my breakdown too.

There's also The Independent, which started out as a really interesting paper but has gone rather thin and gossipy. The Observer is the Sunday version of the Guardian.

The politics/business/social orientation of each paper are worth knowing too. This from Wikipedia gives a decent description.

L

This would be my breakdown too.

There's also The Independent, which started out as a really interesting paper but has gone rather thin and gossipy. The Observer is the Sunday version of the Guardian.

The politics/business/social orientation of each paper are worth knowing too. This from Wikipedia gives a decent description.

L

You know, I deliberately left out the Independent, which I remember fondly as a very interesting newspaper in the past, because I was confounded about where the paper has gone in more recent years. You've confirmed my fears.

Bill

You know, I deliberately left out the Independent, which I remember fondly as a very interesting newspaper in the past, because I was confounded about where the paper has gone in more recent years. You've confirmed my fears.

Bill

We lived in the UK from 1994 to 1997 and happily read the Independent. When we came back here again in 2008, it had become unreadable.

How are you doing, Bill?

L

Dh reads the Financial Times. Its got the best coverage of global business, especially oil and gas, of any newspaper. The only down side is that books that are reviewed in the FT are not necessarily published in the US on the same schedule so dh gets his hopes up and then finds out something won't be out for months here. The same think happens with the Economist.

It also depends on your political perspective. I go to sites where articles are posted, Most of them seem to be from Telegraph, Guardian and Daily Mail. All I know is that I often get more information about US news from those sources than I do from American ones. They actually seem to employ investigative journalists.

The Economist, the Financial Times, and the Guardian are very good.

The Telegraph and the Times (which has suffered under Murdoch) are mediocre-ish.

The Sun and Daily Mail are rubbish.

Bill

:iagree: For television news, I watch only the BBC news station on cable. I don't go near CNN, Fox, or other U.S. national news channels. I watch local news channels only when something is going on [locally] that I want or need to know about.