Menu

Cross post - Physics Intro/Abeka Matter & Motion - Please help!

kareng

My dd is dyslexic and because of that we have been moving slowly through most subjects that rely upon

reading, spelling and writing. As a result, we only recently started using Abeka's Matter & Motion. I

have only an old student text (1994) that we are using. It has become quite clear that I don't know enough

of this subject (or really remember it) to help her. So I found an old Teacher's Guide that I think will help

(i just ordered it so it's on its way). Here's the difficulty: she is reading about physics principles and expected

to calculate problems based on those principles but they are only just non-relevant information at this point.

For those who have used this curriculum: if I had the other materials that go with this book would that help?

I notice that some people on Ebay have all sorts of books that go with this, including one that says, "Curriculum

with Lab Demonstrations" (I don't think it has a DVD or CD with it) so I'm assuming it is just a written description

with photos or pictures? There are also activity books. Do you think those would help?

I was thinking of getting a physics lab kit (not Abeka but something else) but wasn't sure if that would be confusing since it woudln't follow the topics in the Abeka Science book.

Or perhaps there is a better Bible-based physics introduction which includes at the very least visual demonstrations (like on a DVD). Even better would be hands-on?.

By the way, my dd's dyslexia is mild and because of her tutoring and vision therapy she is within a couple of years of

grade level work. For that I am most thankful!

This is a cross post (also on the K-8 Curriculum Board).

Any help you could provide would be good.

Yeah, if you aren't doing any labs, that's a bummer. Some labs for physical science can require you to buy things, but they're SO helpful for understanding what's going on. In fact, I *knew* physical science was going to be a problem, so this year what we did was we totally skirted the issue. We did only the labs, none of the text. Yes, BJU has a terrific physical science program that you can get in full, showing the labs, the teaching, the whole nine yards. Thing is, their text is much harder than Abeka's.

What you actually are going to have to do is stop and READ ALOUD the entire thing with her. It's hard because it's HARD. It just is how it is. So alternate sentences, or you read the section aloud stopping after each sentence to make sure she understands. Just work through a small amount, then do the math together. Google to find an activity to demonstrate it or make one up yourself or whatever it takes. If you can do the demonstration first, that's even better.

You're finishing 9th gr or 8th? You need what you're doing now to count for high school credit on a transcript? Just asking, because that can help you decide if you finish or move on. If you can give a bit on the secular vs. overtly religious part, you might look at some of the alternate materials meant specifically for dyslexics. The Walch Powerbasics series is good. There's another one, but I always forget the name. Search the Walch Powerbasics series on the boards and I'll bet the other one turns up too. These are high school content rewritten to be more accessible.

Another option is to look at Tops science. Or look at something like the Chem 101, Bio 101, etc. series. The Chem 101 and Bio 101 actually are distinctly christian. Pair those with readings and labs, and you'd have a very nice course. We started the Chem 101 a year or two ago, didn't finish, and dd liked them so much she asked if she could watch them completely this time and do chem for this coming year. So she's going to do those and a free course available through the Georgia PBS website. Google Georgia PBS chemistry and you'll find it. They have a chem and physics, both available for free, both very nice. Pair those with the 101 series (their physics is coming out soon I think?) and you'd be good to go.

Thanks, OElizabeth, for the thoughts and ideas. I ended up getting the Teacher's Manual and Activities book for Matter & Motion. Was not impressed

wtih either in terms of how the student is supposed to grasp these difficult concepts by just reading about them. So I took your advice and my dd

and I went and picked out, what looks to be, a very good Physics lab kit. I figured we'll ditch the text for right now and just explore these concepts

together. Whether or not we go back to using this book, I'm not sure. I figure we have the summer to explore Physics and see where that takes us.

I have considered Bio 101 and Chem 101 and did see on their website that they hope to release Physics 101 next year. I've heard good things about them.

As to college, not sure. She's very artistic so at this point I don't see college playing a bit part in her future. But you never know. I am not pushing for it as I see

her having a career involving art, most possibly illustrating books but she does like to write as well. Do I need this to count on a transcript? I'm not sure. What would you suggest if I did?

Thanks, OElizabeth for the thoughts and ideas. I ended up getting the Teacher's Manual and Activities book for Matter & Motion. Was not impressed

wtih either in terms of how the student is supposed to grasp these difficult concepts by just reading about them. So I took your advice and my dd

and I went and picked out, what looks to be, a very good Physics lab kit. I figured we'll ditch the text for right now and just explore these concepts

together. Whether or not we go back to using this book, I'm not sure. I figure we have the summer to explore Physics and see where that takes us.

I have considered Bio 101 and Chem 101 and did see on their website that they hope to release Physics 101 next year. I've heard good things about them.

As to college, not sure. She's very artistic so at this point I don't see college playing a bit part in her future. But you never know. I am not pushing for it as I see

her having a career involving art, most possibly illustrating books but she does like to write as well. Do I need this to count on a transcript? I'm not sure. What would you suggest if I did?

Please share.. Which kit did you buy?

After during an internet search of what was available, we went to a Science store nearby and looked over all the kits they had. We wanted to touch them (at least the outside of the boxes!) and see which would be a good fit for both dd and me. I had decided that in order to get a good kit that would cover the topics and concepts we needed covered, I would need to spend some money (and not just buy the cheapest one I found). The whole point was getting a kit that was going to do what we needed it to do and one that my dd was drawn to. She had to be as excited about it as me! So in a sense, money was no object.

We ended up getting a Thames & Konos Physics Workshop kit. Here's a link on Thames & Konos' website: http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/pw/pw2.html

We're excited. It looks like fun and I love their kits so I know it'll be good.

Yeah, if you aren't doing any labs, that's a bummer. Some labs for physical science can require you to buy things, but they're SO helpful for understanding what's going on. In fact, I *knew* physical science was going to be a problem, so this year what we did was we totally skirted the issue. We did only the labs, none of the text. Yes, BJU has a terrific physical science program that you can get in full, showing the labs, the teaching, the whole nine yards. Thing is, their text is much harder than Abeka's.

What you actually are going to have to do is stop and READ ALOUD the entire thing with her. It's hard because it's HARD. It just is how it is. So alternate sentences, or you read the section aloud stopping after each sentence to make sure she understands. Just work through a small amount, then do the math together. Google to find an activity to demonstrate it or make one up yourself or whatever it takes. If you can do the demonstration first, that's even better.

You're finishing 9th gr or 8th? You need what you're doing now to count for high school credit on a transcript? Just asking, because that can help you decide if you finish or move on. If you can give a bit on the secular vs. overtly religious part, you might look at some of the alternate materials meant specifically for dyslexics. The Walch Powerbasics series is good. There's another one, but I always forget the name. Search the Walch Powerbasics series on the boards and I'll bet the other one turns up too. These are high school content rewritten to be more accessible.

Another option is to look at Tops science. Or look at something like the Chem 101, Bio 101, etc. series. The Chem 101 and Bio 101 actually are distinctly christian. Pair those with readings and labs, and you'd have a very nice course. We started the Chem 101 a year or two ago, didn't finish, and dd liked them so much she asked if she could watch them completely this time and do chem for this coming year. So she's going to do those and a free course available through the Georgia PBS website. Google Georgia PBS chemistry and you'll find it. They have a chem and physics, both available for free, both very nice. Pair those with the 101 series (their physics is coming out soon I think?) and you'd be good to go.

OhElizabeth, I'm not sure about Bob Jones. I looked at the price (not that this is the all in all but we'll see).

So I took your advice and my dd and I went and picked out, what looks to be, a very good Physics lab kit. I figured we'll ditch the text for right now and just explore these concepts together. Whether or not we go back to using this book, I'm not sure. I figure we have the summer to explore Physics and see where that takes us.

Still considering Bio 101 and Chem 101 and hoping that they will release Physics 101 next year. I've heard good things about them.

As to college, not sure. She's very artistic so at this point I don't see college playing a bit part in her future. But you never know. I am not pushing for it as I see her having a career involving art, most possibly illustrating books but she does like to write as well.

If she was going to college and I wanted this to count on a transcript, what would you suggest?

(Some of this post I copied from above. I wasn't sure if you'd seen it and I am very interested in your thoughts on this).

We're finishing 9th by the way.

Thanks!

Karen, you NEED to make a transcript, no matter what. You have NO CLUE what will come up and for what reasons she might need one later. She could decide she wants to go to cosmetology school or something that harnesses her creativity but pays the bills. You want to have a transcript. Yes, label it physical science and put a 1 beside it. You can fill transcripts by units or credits. Credits are material covered, units are time spent. Actually, when colleges ask, they *usually* want units, or at least they did where I worked. Lee Binz has tons of great info on this, and she's very generous with free ebooks, webinars, etc. Definitely get on her mailing list and start signing up for her free stuff! You WANT her to graduate with a transcript. Lots of students are in the position yours is in, and it's ok to make a fair transcript that shows she has spent the time. There's a lot of flex there, so use it. ;)

Karen, you NEED to make a transcript, no matter what. You have NO CLUE what will come up and for what reasons she might need one later. She could decide she wants to go to cosmetology school or something that harnesses her creativity but pays the bills. You want to have a transcript. Yes, label it physical science and put a 1 beside it. You can fill transcripts by units or credits. Credits are material covered, units are time spent. Actually, when colleges ask, they *usually* want units, or at least they did where I worked. Lee Binz has tons of great info on this, and she's very generous with free ebooks, webinars, etc. Definitely get on her mailing list and start signing up for her free stuff! You WANT her to graduate with a transcript. Lots of students are in the position yours is in, and it's ok to make a fair transcript that shows she has spent the time. There's a lot of flex there, so use it. ;)

Thank you! I checked into some of Lee Binz' materials and I like them. I think they will be a big help in demystifying the whole transcript process. And you're right -- I have no idea what the future holds but at the very least, I will prepare a trasncript so she will have one when she's done. It will demonstrate to her (and the world) what she has done. It's a win-win situation.

And, by the way, I have signed up for the free stuff!