Menu

Did you hear about part of Colorado wanting to make their own state?

Luanne

I am not sure what to make of this. Several counties in Colorado want to petition to make a new state. They are upset that the people representing Colorado in the government aren't voting on things the way the people want them to. I do know for a fact that this is true. The county I live in is part of the group who wants to become a new state.

I heard about it on the radio yesterday (I'm in Colorado Springs), but haven't had time to read up on it more.

If elected representatives aren't representing their constituents appropriately, there are options. Start a recall petition or vote them out in the next election. Forming a new state seems like a ridiculous solution to me.

From what I've read about Colorado, they seemed to have successfully recalled one of the politicians that didn't listen to the people's will that he represents. And at least one other may possibly follow if those that are pushing for recall are successful. In my opinion, those are the steps that constiuents should take under these circumstances, rather than creating a new state. I'm in Texas and a conservative and not a fan of talk of seceding, which seems similar to what you describe. It's sounds like rash and emotional talk rather than what is helpful.

Eh.

Any of us who live in states with extremely rural areas AND highly populated metro areas (Colorado and Denver, Kansas and KC, Nebraska and Omaha, Oklahoma and OKC, etc, etc) have had this complaint for years.

OTOH, to actually withdraw the rural/conservative counties from the metro/liberal would be foolish, because there goes the bulk of the tax base.

But that won't stop people from scheming about it... ;)

Eh.

Any of us who live in states with extremely rural areas AND highly populated metro areas (Colorado and Denver, Kansas and KC, Nebraska and Omaha, Oklahoma and OKC, etc, etc) have had this complaint for years.

OTOH, to actually withdraw the rural/conservative counties from the metro/liberal would be foolish, because there goes the bulk of the tax base.

But that won't stop people from scheming about it... ;)

Same deal here. The fact that urban tax dollars flow heavily to things they need and can't afford, like say law enforcement and roads, seems lost on the succession peeps though.

I'm on mobile and couldn't read the whole subject line. I'd assumed the post was about Kerr v. Hickenlooper

http://m.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/06/does-a-state-have-the-right-to-self-destruct/276430/

So some want to secede, and some want its statehood revoked. It's an exciting time to be a constitutional lawyer in Colorado. :)

New York has a contingent of people who want to split into two states as well-Albany and everything down state (including NYC) can have the name New York. The rest of us will take the name Upper York or North New York or something. We will still have urban centers like Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo, Binghamton, etc.