Menu

Hands on Equations...how difficult to teach? Mom-Intensive?

I had the trial version of the iPad app and the kids and I agreed that we dislike it. I have the homeschool kit which I got used and am going through it with the kids. They both like it. It is "mom-intensive" in that it's basically a scripted lesson and I have ended up sitting there with them for most of it. It's not "mom-intensive" in that I haven't done any prepwork for it except pull it out and do a lesson when the kids feel like it. We have not watched any of the videos.

It's nice. Now that I have it, I can see how it would be easy to DIY the whole thing. And, potentially even better, use it with C-rods (or MUS rods or whatever) with younger kids. However, I am glad to have the problem sets and the progression all mapped out. It's basically pretty simple.

I worked directly with Rebecca on this, using the whiteboard. I never used the videos.

How did you as the teacher learn how to use the program? If you get the homeschool package are the instructions clear enough to work from those. I am not very mathy so I want to be sure I get all I need to use it successfully.

Thanks!

I had the trial version of the iPad app and the kids and I agreed that we dislike it. I have the homeschool kit which I got used and am going through it with the kids. They both like it. It is "mom-intensive" in that it's basically a scripted lesson and I have ended up sitting there with them for most of it. It's not "mom-intensive" in that I haven't done any prepwork for it except pull it out and do a lesson when the kids feel like it. We have not watched any of the videos.

It's nice. Now that I have it, I can see how it would be easy to DIY the whole thing. And, potentially even better, use it with C-rods (or MUS rods or whatever) with younger kids. However, I am glad to have the problem sets and the progression all mapped out. It's basically pretty simple.

Could you share what it is that you disliked?

Could you share what it is that you disliked?

I didn't think it was very intuitive. It just looks clunky. It doesn't really use the iPad's capabilities very well. It's just much easier to move actual pieces around. Also, when we tried it, it kept getting stuck.

I never got involved with my boys doing it. They did it totally independently. They watched the video, did the questions. I only checked answers for them. Older two did it on 4th grade. My current 4th grader hasn't started yet.

I kinda sat in the room with her while she did Level 1 w/ the videos. We were both getting a feel for it. She would have a question once in awhile, but it didn't require any teaching on my part, the video did the teaching. This was early in 5th grade.

Now, at the end of 5th grade (after we covered integers in MM5) I turned her loose on levels 2 & 3, she does one video lesson a day and is almost finished. She loves doing it, and I haven't had to teach it at all.

Now, with the Verbal Problems book, I do anticipate needing to be very close by and provide help - the problems get hard!

I didn't think it was very intuitive. It just looks clunky. It doesn't really use the iPad's capabilities very well. It's just much easier to move actual pieces around. Also, when we tried it, it kept getting stuck.

I wonder if the trial version has bugs? We have no issues at all with the paid version. It's just a supplement for us, and I find it a nice way to mix things up a little.

How did you as the teacher learn how to use the program? If you get the homeschool package are the instructions clear enough to work from those. I am not very mathy so I want to be sure I get all I need to use it successfully.

Thanks!

For me, the instructions were clear enough. It was very open and go. I never had any trouble with math in school.

I didn't find it real intuitive myself, but it seems to work for dd. I have to admit I'm not a huge manipulative user :leaving: but it actually did seem to help her to be able to handle the things physically. She just used the physical manipulatives during the video lessons, she doesn't use them for the verbal problems book.

How mom-intensive is this? Do I watch the video and then teach him? We watch together?

I watched several of the videos on their site but was left was several questions still.

Hi, I'm using Hands-on Equations with an 11 yro, 10 yro and 8 yro. We're actually almost finished and will be searching for some extra workbooks full of problems. I did not buy the video or the app. I have the Hands-On Equations Learning System from Rainbow Resource (I think it was $30-$35). It contains the manipulatives, the laminated scale, 3 instructional booklets (I think they're red, green and blue), a packet of worksheets with problems and the answer key. All of the teaching is in the instructional booklets. It tells you exactly what to say and it has sample problems with solutions so you can teach the lesson. So, you teach the lesson from the red, green or blue booklet and then find the corresponding classroom sheet with problems. My kids set up each problem with the manipulatives and then tell me the answer. I check the answer and they move on. The top half of the worksheet is new material...the bottom half is review problems. There is a lot of review.

So, I was a little concerned about using this with an 8 yro. In fact, when we started learning the difference between "x" and "star", I was thinking, "Well, we might have to shelf this for awhile." So, if "x" is 3, then "star" is the opposite of 3 (-3). They present it very well in the booklet (he gives all kinds of examples like loss and gain). My daughter was able to "get it" and continue on. I was very impressed. I wish they had more math products out there. In the brochure they sent, it says that it's used for kids as young as 3rd grade. My daughter loves math and this has been a HUGE confidence booster for her.

On the other end of the spectrum, the 11 yro looks at the equations and now just tells me the answers. It's too easy for her and I think she's kinda beyond the point where she needs manipulatives. But, it's been a fun way to introduce algebra and variables.

All 3 of my kids have liked this program. :thumbup1:

Edited because I misspelled "red". How embarrassing! :o