Menu

Applying as a music major question #1

Gwen in VA

As someone who is clueless about the application process for music majors, I am sure this will be only the first of many questions..... (and yes, I do read the College Confidential music major section!)

1) On top of activities sheets and everything else, music majors need to submit a list of pieces played. How did you organize this -- alphabetically by composer or chronologically by when your student studied it (working backwards from the present) or .....

2) Do you submit a list of competitions won or place at? And if so, where? Or do you only list the one or two that are most significant on the application? Would a list of competitions be attached to the repertoire list? Dd has enough that they won't fit easily on an activities sheet, but it seems sort of show-off-y to actually submit a list of competitions won/placed at.

3) Fine arts supplement or anything else I'm forgetting? Is there anything else peculiar to music besides repertoire lists that is usually included in the app? (Dd will be auditioning in person for all of her schools, so at this point I don't believe she will be submitting a fine arts supplement -- or should she submit a supplement showing her doing a type of music that won't show up in her audition, like playing the kazoo in a jazz band if she is a classical harpist?)

I think we made a sort of music resume to supplement my son's application materials. So repertoire, performance dates, festivals attended, choir tours were all listed under various headings. I'll have to double check on that, though. As for 2, absolutely show off.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking in 3, but, yes, I would submit the fine arts supplement if she's applying to be a music major specifically.

Thank you! I hadn't considered a music resume, but I googled it and it looks like just the thing!

This music major stuff is rather complicated. Just when I thought I had the college app proces figured out, kid #4 decides to go in a different direction! :crying: