Menu

Is it possible to add content onto a class completed a year ago to "fill it out"?

Here's the situation. DD did health last summer. She completed the written work I assigned, but due to some unexpected events at the time I didn't assign everything I planned to. Ideally, I would like to add on a couple of books to read and a movie. Can I do this now, or would we have to start all over with health again this summer?

Why not? It's your school.

I have subjects that are completed cumulatively over the course of all four years of high school.

So did you just do something on the transcript like Health 2012-2014 .5 credit

Yes, it's no problem to fill out later. I did this with Biology. When ds did Apologia Bio, we started the course in November (for a variety of reasons beyond our control), and so he ended up going into the following summer to finish the text. I wanted to supplement the evolution part with a bunch of other resources, but there wasn't time at the end of the summer. So... we added that in during the following winter when we had time. I put everything in the course description and just listed Bio on the transcript for the year in which the majority of the work was done.

Ds also had a summer class, and I listed it under the year that made the most sense, rather than having a separate section for summer classes--just as Gwen suggested above. In your case, you could simply list your health course for the 2012-2013 school year (i.e. the year between the 2 summers) and that would be very accurate.

For cumulative subjects, I give 0.25 credits per year. My transcript is organized with lines for subjects and columns for year; I will have one line for this subject and list the proportion of the credit for each year.

Such courses will have a brief note explaining this, and I explain in the course description (" This is a continuing course spanning all four years of high school. 1.0 cumulative credit/ 0.25 credit per year)

If your format does not easily allow something like this, I would list the course under the year it has been completed.

I do this with any course that starts in one school year and gets finished the next, if less than 0.25 credit has been completed during the first year.

ETA: So would it be best to put health on the transcript as Summer '12 or Summer "13?

I typically use the summer before as part of the year following. I do this because I *plan* to graduate my youngest in June, so the summer after that will not go on his transcript. Therefore, the summer before would count for 12th grade, and so on down the line.

Julie

For cumulative subjects, I give 0.25 credits per year. My transcript is organized with lines for subjects and columns for year; I will have one line for this subject and list the proportion of the credit for each year.

Such courses will have a brief note explaining this, and I explain in the course description (" This is a continuing course spanning all four years of high school. 1.0 cumulative credit/ 0.25 credit per year)

If your format does not easily allow something like this, I would list the course under the year it has been completed.

I do this with any course that starts in one school year and gets finished the next, if less than 0.25 credit has been completed during the first year.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

I just listed summer classes under whichever year made the most sense to put it under; to avoid cluttering the transcript unduly, I didn't have a separate space for summer classes.

Yes, it's no problem to fill out later. I did this with Biology. When ds did Apologia Bio, we started the course in November (for a variety of reasons beyond our control), and so he ended up going into the following summer to finish the text. I wanted to supplement the evolution part with a bunch of other resources, but there wasn't time at the end of the summer. So... we added that in during the following winter when we had time. I put everything in the course description and just listed Bio on the transcript for the year in which the majority of the work was done.

Ds also had a summer class, and I listed it under the year that made the most sense, rather than having a separate section for summer classes--just as Gwen suggested above. In your case, you could simply list your health course for the 2012-2013 school year (i.e. the year between the 2 summers) and that would be very accurate.

I typically use the summer before as part of the year following. I do this because I *plan* to graduate my youngest in June, so the summer after that will not go on his transcript. Therefore, the summer before would count for 12th grade, and so on down the line.

Julie

Thanks so much. I love this forum!

Why not? It's your school.

I have subjects that are completed cumulatively over the course of all four years of high school.

I have been struggling with this issue. How do you "do grades" when the content is woven throughout different years? Are grades based more on what they have accomplished that year, rather than within each topic? Thanks for bringing this up!

Ashley

I have been struggling with this issue. How do you "do grades" when the content is woven throughout different years? Are grades based more on what they have accomplished that year, rather than within each topic? Thanks for bringing this up!

I use the continuous approach for electives like art and music where I do not assign letter grades, but you could easily assign a grade for the work completed during each year and give four separate grades, one for each quarter credit.

I simply give credit for the year in which the content was completed.

My son's transcript is arranged by subject, rather than by year. Under each general topic (English, Mathematics, Social Sciences, Foreign Language, etc.), I have columns for:

Course Title . . . . . Credit Earned . . . . . Letter Grade / Percentage . . . . . Date Completed

So, if my student did most of a health course in 2012 but didn't finish with additional content until the end of summer 2014, the entry would read:

Health . . . . . 0.5 . . . . . A / 95% . . . . . 08/2014

The only time I might "massage" this approach is if it ended up making any particular year look unusually light in credits or unusually heavy. In that case, I might go with Regentrude's approach, instead, and award partial credit in multiple years. I just think my way is easier to understand at a glance.