Menu

Teaching the Classics questions

thought the DVD instruction was excellent. Adam Andrews is very clear throughout the program. I personally would recommend that you purchase the entire program, not just the workbooks, because I think the workbooks are best used while viewing the material.

Essentially, Teaching the Classics goes through different elements of literary analysis and processes, such as Socratic questioning. He uses some well-known stories to illustrate these points (off the top of my head, though, I can't remember what those were! :confused: It's been two years since I've watched them!).

I think they can be used alone to help you, as the parent, guide your child through reading and studying literature. For me, they were a great supplement, but I felt I still needed the hand-holding that Omnibus provided.

Try a search on the Sale & Swap boards; occasionally people sell these used. If you end up buying a set new, I believe they are popular and generally sell very well. (I'd sell you mine, but I'd like to hold on to them, because I'll be going back to school myself and possibly pursuing a master's in lit.! Sorry!)

Kris:

I just watched Teaching the Classics with a friend and we both agreed that the workbook alone is not enough. After you've watched the DVD's the workbook makes sense, but you really need to watch the DVD's with the workbook. I was pleased with the instruction that I received for covering lit with my kids and highly recommend the course.

I just sold the set on the IEW sale board for $75 -- it resells very well.

Yvonne in NE

Kris,

I bought this a couple of years ago at a used curriculum store, and I love it. (It was a steal at $20.) Mr Andrews is entertaining, informative and a pleasure to watch. I plan to have my 14 YO watch it with me and work through the program next year at the start of her great books study. (This year we are doing the ancients, and I think Teaching the Classics works best with more modern lit, like novels.)

The best part of this curriculum though, is the Socratic list in the back of the book. It lists pages of questions you can ask about literature. I use it to come up with discussion and writing topics all of the time.

I've only used the program with the DVDs so can't compare to what it would be like without them. I have to say that I love Adam Andrews' presentation style - he is fun to listen to. His readings of Rikki-tikki-tavi and Paul Revere's Ride are worth the price, imo.:) He's even more fun in person - if you get a chance to attend one of his seminars, grab it!

Kris,

The best part of this curriculum though, is the Socratic list in the back of the book. It lists pages of questions you can ask about literature. I use it to come up with discussion and writing topics all of the time.

So the list is in the syllabus? I think I would need that in-hand to get me started.

What about the Worldview supplement? Anybody try that yet? I looked at the video clip on the website and was quite impressed.

The Socratic List in my book is Appendix A. There is also a list of good books in appendix B and a glossary of literary terms in appendix C. My set came with the DVD's and a book. I'm not familiar with the worldview supplement, but as someone mentioned above IEW things are usually great.

I agree that listening to Mr. Andrews is worth the price of the DVD's. When we were studying American History, I played the tape and let my children listen to him read "Paul Revere's Ride."

I bought it last year and previewed it for myself. I love it and can't imagine doing it without the dvds, but then I never had much experience with literary analysis. I have never been let down by an IEW product yet. :)

I can't imagine getting as much out of the workbook without the DVDs, either. Some say it's doable, but I think those are the type people who don't need the program to start with :).

FWIW, just to clarify, it's not an IEW product... IEW just happens to carry it.

Andrews has some book specific courses available now, too... I'm thinking about one of them for the upcoming year with my 13yo.