Menu

Senior class trip participants booted off flight

unsinkable

Am I the only one who is really feeling sorry for the bus drivers taking them from Atlanta to the river? That is a nice little drive. Then imagine having to share the river with this group. Not my idea of fun.

when dh was in college, there were some brats on the river. a couple friends in his group were in a canoe, and flipped the brats raft. these kids could do with a dunk in the water.

I would have been seriously POed, if I had been one of the non-idiot kids and got stuck on a different flight because of the idiot kids. Ugh!!!! We just flew overseas. My teens were not sitting with me. They put up their phones as soon as it was announced.

And peer pressure rarely works like that. Even as an adult there are idiot teens who argue/don't comply/act worse when you say something to them.

http://www.ibtimes.c...toured-1290857#

I had no idea Atlanta was a senior class trip destination...rafting and Six Flags? Who knew?

My high school dd has been on class trips to the Outer Banks, Washington DC, including a visit to Busch Gardens, Atlanta, and New York City. Next year, her senior class is going to Disney World. I think these class trips only have to be marginally educational. Dd goes to a public school in a small town with high unemployment, and a low median income.

If there were onky 10 kids acting up, then 90 were not. I'll bet those 90 are pretty hoppin' mad at the 10. I used to get soooo angry at the little twerps in school who messed it up for the rest of us. Spoiled brats indeed.

One report I read said *everyone* was deplaned to get things under control. the captain gave the option of splitting the group with the behaving students allowed back on with adults. leaving the unruly ones behind with an adult. the rabbi in charge refused, he wanted all or none. whether he was bluffing or not is irrelevant because the captain called it and kicked them all off. the chaperones sound as bad as the bratty young adults as they are also claiming it was unfair they were kicked off.

I agree that the unruly students should have been kicked off but I feel badly for the rest of them. 101 students kicked off due to the actions of a handful doesn't seem right either. If I had paid the money for a trip for my kid, and some other kid got the entire group kicked off I would be ticked off. But I do agree the unruly ones should have been removed and had their parents come and claim them. Shame on them for acting like idiots, and shame on the chaperones for not correcting their behaviour instantly and instead letting this nonsense continue. If they were delayed for 45 minutes how did that one yahoo not have time to turn off his phone? it takes 10 seconds to power down.

If 109 people were kicked off the flight, the plane would have been almost empty. I don't think this was a very cost-effective move for Southwest (not to mention the bad publicity, or the problem of having to find new flights for the group members).

It isn't a financial matter or a PR matter, it is a safety matter. It is logical to assume that people do not behave while the plane is at the gate are not going to behave while the plane is in the air. It is much more serious when this type of thing happens when the plane is in the air - the pilot having to take an unplanned trip outside of the cockpit while the plane is in flight can put everyone on the flight at risk.

Southwest/Air Tran did the right thing - they have gotten a lot of positive PR for this among business travelers, and business travelers are the travelers airlines must keep in order to be financially solvent.

They are lucky that the students at fault were not arrested. Rescheduling them was not required - the rabbi turned down the opportunity for most of the students to continue on, so they chose to interrupt their own trip. They could have been charged change fees for their flight changes, but it doesn't sound like they were - I'm sure someone would have mentioned it by now.

IMO, the Rabbi made a bad decision in not letting the well behaved students continue on. If I had been in charge of that trip, the students at fault would have had to return home. No way would I have continued to take responsibility for them.