Menu

Affordable K Program?

MrsBanjoClown

I have used mostly 1st grade material with my ds6 this year, who is technically finishing his K year. We used a variety of curriculum, as I found things as I could used or free. DH's cousin has contacted me about ideas to homeschool her rising K'er in a very affordable way. This year we used Abeka Reading 1, Singapore Standards 1A & 1B, A Reason for Handwriting, and First Language Lessons. We did history and science together, so he followed along with my 2nd grader. Do you have any suggestions I can give her?

It would really depend where her kid is at. Some kindergarteners are learning letters, some are reading fluently. Some are learning to recognize numbers, some are multiplying & dividing. I would give suggestions for programs you recommend, and let her choose the levels. If you like Abeka reading, Singapore math, ARFH, and FLL, then recommend those.

For a typical Kindergartener, Singapore Essentials, Phonics Pathways, Handwriting Without Tears, and FIAR would be a safe bet.

For a typical Kindergartener, Singapore Essentials, Phonics Pathways, Handwriting Without Tears, and FIAR would be a safe bet.

This is exactly what I used this past year, except I did Zaner Bloser instead of HWT, but it was awesome! You could do that combination for:

FIAR (one volume, plus library books): $35

SM Essentials KA & KB: $20, plus a few manipulatives

Phonics Pathways: $17

Handwriting Without Tears K: anywhere from $12 (student book only) to $50, depending on which manipulatives and materials she wants to add--I'd add at least the slate and teacher's book, personally

Could be done for less than $100!

MFW K I feel is both affordable, fun, and provides what you need to teach k level math & Lang. The Bible is fantastic and the hands on activities are great.

The deluxe is $214

The basic is $129

Here's the link:

http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/20/0/0/1

You don't have to add much. I did get early bird Singapore math but you don't have too. I felt more comfortable with having worksheets to fall back on since I don't do a lot of every day math / hands on math without guidance.

Depends on what she is looking for but I looked at alot of options and finally decided on using Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven (it's for ages 2 - 5) beefed up with some K writing and reading. I have a wiggly girl though who is not into workbooks so it's very wiggle friendly :-) I will use OPGTR for teaching her to read. Some CLE Kindergarten II stuff for writing numbers, letters and practice fine motor skill. All around $100.00. Really I think all of the lower grades of HOD are very reasonable.

She could even keep it super simple by only using CLE Kindergarten II along with some sort of program/book to help her learn to read for a total of around $50.00. This would bore my daughter but could work for some kids who enjoy workbook type stuff.

MFW Kindy looks sweet and the price is not bad if you don't by the book package and just get them from the library.

There are also some really sweet programs you can purchase on-line for a small price but you'd need to print so there might be time and expense there but here are some options:

http://teachmejoy.com/

http://www.danielles...chool/index.cfm

Also, some library trips to find books on various topics of interest helps round things out nicely with any curriculum.

HTH

There's a TON of things that a person could do for Kindy. Almost limitless options really. Having homeschooled two Kinders and starting on my 3rd preschooler----I know this---there are a LOT of preschool and K resources available.

SM Essentials and/or MEP reception is good basic K math. There's also RightStart Math. You can start Miquon with a Kinder.

For learning to read something like OPGTR or WRTR is good. ETC is great. HWT for handwriting.

Something like Peak With Books or FIAR.

Lots and lots of read alouds.

ScienceWorks is fun K science. And there's so many activity books to just work with for K.

Mainly though just learning to read and write, and lots of read alouds and fun activities (art, history, science) and some math are essential. I call it good with that!!!

There's also a lot of free k online lesson plans. I look at the K year as just setting a foundation, getting into a routine, and learning some life skills, following their interests, playing a lot of games, learning to read, working on your handwriting, doing some art....just easy, fun, simple.

Math - MEP (free)

Science - Bill Nye the Science Guy using library DVDs or YouTube, have fun cooking together, making sand castles and what have you. Just have fun.

Language arts - lots of readings of classics and non-fiction, mostly borrowed from library

Handwriting - plenty of fun printouts online to use.

I put together my own kindergarten program for dd and didn't spend much at all:

Mathematical Reasoning A

Explode the Code books 2 and 3 (finishing book 1 now)

Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

Usborne First Book of Art

Lots and lots of books and videos from the library: beginning readers, Leapfrog phonics DVD, science videos and books, stories, picture books, you name it.

I personally haven't felt the need for a handwriting curriculum with either of my kids. They get plenty of handwriting practice in their workbooks and regular assignments, in writing letters to friends/family, making lists around the house, etc.

We've been using Easy Classical for K4 and K5. http://easyclassical.com/Kindergarten_Curriculum.html. The daily lesson plans for the whole year are only $35. The selling point for me was that we already had half of the books listed for curriculum. The other we found at the library or used on amazon and homeschool books sales.

We easily substituted Ordinary Parent's Guide for their reading program as well as using our own reading list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AitJejUq9C_QdHdpamVJencxRmw2OHNqUkdlVGRkcHc&usp=sharing&authkey=CN_P5pEK

We love to read.