Menu

FYI: 2013 Robotics Academy Summer of Learning - Free courses

I'm trying to find out how these classes are run. My son will be off at camp for 3 weeks. Could he catch up on his own time and pass? Or do they have strict deadlines for each assignment?

From what I see of my boy's course schedule for "ROBOTC Robot Virtual Worlds with LEGO". the quizzes and lessons are up all the way to the final test. So I would say your son could probably catch up after camp or even double the speed before his camp as long as it is completed before end of course. My boy's course ends on August 1st.

I started looking into this and was considering buying the Lego Mindstorm nxt kit, but it is sold out at the Lego site? Anyone know what's up with that? Is this a discontinued product or do you think they are temporarily out of stock?

ETA:

If I can't get a Mindstorm kit, is VEX comparable?

I started looking into this and was considering buying the Lego Mindstorm nxt kit, but it is sold out at the Lego site? Anyone know what's up with that? Is this a discontinued product or do you honk they are temporarily out of stock?

There is a new one due in the fall, but I can't imagine this one is discontinued yet.

Edit to add: I just looked on Amazon, and they are crazy $$$, maybe they are discontinued?

Edit again! This is the place we get out robot needs, they have the NXT.

There is a new one due in the fall, but I can't imagine this one is discontinued yet.

Edit to add: I just looked on Amazon, and they are crazy $$$, maybe they are discontinued?

Thank you!

Around here, Lego camp for one week is about $300 and the kids don't get to keep any Legos. Still, I'm having trouble shelling out money for a robot that DD may not like. Or do all kids love NXT?

Around here, Lego camp for one week is about $300 and the kids don't get to keep any Legos. Still, I'm having trouble shelling out money for a robot that DD may not like. Or do all kids love NXT?

No they don't. Out of my 4 boys, only 3 liked NXT. The child who is the most interested in programmings, isn't too fused about the NEX. He has used it because it's here, but it would not have been money well spent for him alone. Funnily, he's the kind of kid I would have thought would love it...

My younger loves it more than the older. It is cheaper than sending both my boys to robotics camp and It is my toy if they are not interested. We might get the EV3 later but not the first generation. Don't want to be "guinea pigs" for the first generation of EV3.

Arcadia was kind enough to point me to this thread, as I hadn't seen it when I posted another thread asking about these classes. Since others here were discussing what robotics kits to buy, I thought I'd share the answer I got from CS2N when I asked them what needs to be purchased for the course: " The course actually uses the Robot Virtual Worlds robots so you won't need to purchase anything actually. The software is provided as well. Just join the course you want and you can get started right away." So while you can certainly buy a kit if you want to, you don't have to.

What is a VEX robot? Dd doesn't like the NXT language, but it's saying these courses are in RobotC even if one's for the Mindstorms robot?

VEX robot is this http://www.vexroboti...om/vex/products

The mindstorm one is in RobotC which is a gentle introduction to C. The RobotC software is a free download in the course with a license that last til september.

RobotC page for you to take a look

http://www.robotc.net/

We will get the EV3 as soon as it comes out, it's already on a birthday wish list!

Yep, ds11 has been saving Christmas, birthday, allowance and anything else he can muster up for the release of the EV3. I like that it gives him a goal to work toward vs. us just shelling out for it. He's really excited. ;)

Well, a warning to the Mac users out there. The programming software - ROBOTC - is only available in Windows. So if you wish to run it in a Mac environment, you have to purchase software that will allow you to run Windows software (e.g., Parallels), and also buy the Windows OS.

• 2 weeks later...

We might get the EV3 later but not the first generation. Don't want to be "guinea pigs" for the first generation of EV3.

My kids are looking forward to a new EV3. My husband likes it more than the older version at least from a preview he read. I guess we will be among "guinea pigs":)

My kids are looking forward to a new EV3. My husband likes it more than the older version at least from a preview he read. I guess we will be among "guinea pigs":)

Someone has to be a trailblazer :)

I'm more worried about software bugs and Microsoft Windows incompatibility. Now our Windows 8 laptop has incompatibility issues with Kodu that we have not resolved.