Menu

Teaching Multiplication Tables

momacacia

So this is the summer we begin learning/memorizing multiplication tables. How do I do this?

I remember the (failing in my case) flashcards. But, I think 8yo will love these. She is a good memorizer, understands the concept behind multiplication (which I never really did) and will enjoy the flashcard process.

Any other ways to learn them? Are apps helpful? Any apps you've found helpful to the multiplication tables memory process?

TIA!

My kids liked a couple of apps, Mathmateer is one.

They also liked Times Attack for the computer.

We helped cement the times tables by saying them to movement. So I would say 8X8, they would jump and say 64, and continue up like that. It was a fun way for them, and great exercise. I would also make them say their tables on the trampoline. Mean Mom ;)

We like Mathmateer, math bingo, and math ninja for apps. I remember reading or way no something from Maria Miller recently that talked about the importance of practicing times tables in chart form so they could see the pattern, so we will be doing that this summer.

I used Five Times Five is Not Ten. She did three pages a day. It's a 140 page book, so it took her about a month and a half. She knew them perfectly by the end. We review a little bit each day with the flash cards to keep them fresh, but using the flash cards to start with was too stressful.