Menu

White baseball pants--HELP!

Cricket

I think I could gleefully flog whoever first thought white baseball pants was an awesome idea.

How on earth do you keep these thing clean? I've tried soaking in bleach, soaking in Oxiclean, something called IronOut, SprayNWash, and my boys' pants still look awful.

Any other ideas?

I use the shout advanced gel with scrubber and then throw them in the washing machine with a cascade dishwasher tablet. Leave the lid up and let soak overnight. If there happens to be any stain left I spot bleach it with a medicine syringe and wash again! I LOVE the way white softball pants look!!!

I used to worry about this but gave up. I used to scrub with Fels Naptha and it worked pretty well but was just way too much work. Somewhere in middle school my son pointed out to me that no ones elses pants were stain free. Now I spray them down with Shout and rinse them out in hot water ASAP. When the weekend is over (my guy plays Fri/Sat/Sun most weekends) I throw them in together and soak them overnight with detergent and oxyclean. Every once in a while I do the Iron Out. They actually look pretty good without a whole lot of effort. My guy is in high school and he gets absolutely covered. There is no way I could scrub every inch of those man sized pants after every game.

I would wash with oxyvlean and what came out, came out.

They can be stained.

Most of the boys I know wore stained pants without a problem...it was proof you played, and played hard.

This is dh's attitude too. My older ds said fhe other day that one of his teammates had pants that still looked new. His mom soaks them in bleach. maybe I should clarify if this kid actually plays? lol

I asked dh what his solution was and he said, "black pants." That would be funny if he wasn't the head coach for one of the teams and actually chose white! *smack*

I would wash with oxyvlean and what came out, came out.

They can be stained.

Most of the boys I know wore stained pants without a problem...it was proof you played, and played hard.

Yep, this is exactly what we do.

Wash them with Simple Green. That's how I kept my Navy whites clean when working as a gate guard (a rather grimy job). Sometimes it's in the cleaning supplies, sometimes it's in the automotive department. The stuff cleans ANYTHING. Disneyland uses it to clean strollers the Navy uses it to clean anything that's not brass.

I have two in travel ball right now, so I am washing full uniforms at least 5 times a week. 2 pairs of white pants. I agree with the previous posters that it's not terrible to have faded stains. Our pictures aren't until 4 weeks in so I buy second pairs each year and save them until pictures. But that said, there are almost no stains on my boys' pants and they play hard and it's been rainy and muddy here. My usual routine is to wash everything on cold with Tide free first. Then just the pants get soaked overnight in hot water and oxiclean on the "heavy duty" level. In the morning I run the wash cycle that same oxi water with a little tide free. Sometimes I set them out in the sun on the patio if there is anything left. They look really good, no visible stains unless you examine them up close.

Soak them in dishwasher soap and HOT water - miraculous! Launder normally:)

I agree. I would just leave the pants in the sink overnight soaking, then throw in the washing maching the next day.

BTW - LOVE the scotchguard idea! Thanks!

If really dirty, spray with shout, let sit a little bit (15 minutes or more). Throw in washer (no other clothes). Sprinkle in some powdered original cascade (yes for the dishwasher). Wash as normal. Take out, check for stains, if any left spray with shout, then wash with other clothes & regular washing detergent. Even if there were no stains I always rewashed with rest of uniform just to make sure all the cascade was rinsed out.

Pre-treating with Zout works really well on red clay dirt. Don't use bleach if the pants contain polyester or spandex because those will yellow with exposure to bleach (bleach alternative or non-chlorine bleach is fine).

I use Zout as well. It works really well for us.

Janet

I use Mean Green. I spray spots with Mean Green and use a bristled brush to work it in. Then I might spray a little more Mean Green depending on how bad the spot is. I let them sit a while (no less than 10 minutes but usually longer while I am doing other laundry). I then soak them with other whites in detergent and a scoop of Oxyclean in the washing machine for about an hour (sometimes longer depending on when I need the washer for the next load of clothes) before finishing the wash cycle.

Whoever invented white baseball pants did not have to wash them. I was not happy with my ds's coach's decision for white pants this year. Little did I know at the time that this would not be the only decision that I would not be happy with. I guess that should have been an indication of the things to come.

Whoever invented white baseball pants did not have to wash them. I was not happy with my ds's coach's decision for white pants this year. Little did I know at the time that this would not be the only decision that I would not be happy with. I guess that should have been an indication of the things to come.

Yeah, been there done that. Last year ds had to wear white pants and play red dirt. The cascade thing kept the pants white (and ds is a slider) but there was no fix for the other things the coach did.

This year new coach was discussing ball pants. He said white and his wife said "nope". They got to wear gray this year.

How were you able to pull this thread up? The OP and I both looked for it yesterday. Was the search function just not working yesterday? Searches for "baseball," "pants" or even "white" pulled up other things, but not this one. Perhaps if I'd just gone to Google???

And Lily Grace, you're my hero!

How were you able to pull this thread up? The OP and I both looked for it yesterday. Was the search function just not working yesterday? Searches for "baseball," "pants" or even "white" pulled up other things, but not this one. Perhaps if I'd just gone to Google???

And Lily Grace, you're my hero!

I'm glad I am not the only one who had trouble finding this thread! I thought these boards just did not like my searching skills!

Thanks for the google search idea, Unsinkable! Now I know what to do next time I have trouble using the WTM search function.

• 2 weeks later...

Is the dishwasher soap safe on colors? My ds not only has white pants but white jerseys...grrr. I worry about ruining the colors when I do something different with the laundry.

Completely safe for color as far as I know. My ds also has pants that are grey with green piping and the color still looks great after 25 games.

Holly